Carb question/identification.

• z1kzonly
  • User
  • Sustaining Member
More
30 Jan 2022 06:13 #861434 by z1kzonly
Replied by z1kzonly on topic Carb question/identification.
I never worked on or owned a 650. But I would think the spacing is not the same? For carbs. The 26 carbs are wider? Can you stretch the manifolds? To fit the bigger carbs? As I never hear of guys putting bigger carbs on their 650's for a performance mod? Just like putting 29mm smoothbores on their 900/1000's

I'd stick with stock, plentiful on ebay! I had this nice pile of parts on ebay no one bought?

Livin in "CheektaVegas, NY
Went thru 25 of these in 40 yrs.
I SOLD OUT! THE KAW BARN IS EMPTY.
More room for The Old Girl, Harley 75 FLH Electra Glide,
Old faithful! Points ign. Bendix Orig. carb.
Starts everytime!

The following user(s) said Thank You: epiphalactic

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• epiphalactic
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
30 Jan 2022 06:26 #861438 by epiphalactic
Replied by epiphalactic on topic Carb question/identification.
Yeah all the Jets look pretty good so I will just leave those in instead of replacing them. Everything looks fine so honestly the only reason I would have replaced it was just because I'm in there.  But I will just use all of the factory stuff.   I did replace the needle valve and seat though. 
I was able to salvage two of the choke fuel pickup tubes from the 650 carbs as they seem identical. But yes one of them as I was pulling it out split up the entire tube, and another one I just seem to have misplaced.  Likely found its way off off the parts tray by a handsy little 4-year-old.  I know he kept trying to steal the Jets. lol.  So I have all of the pickup tubes I need.  
And okay, upon further inspection I do see there is the needle jet down pressed into the body.  So I don't need that anymore either. 
only thing I need now is one more main jet air bleed tube. 
  Again probably got grabbed by a  very inquisitive child.   
​​​​Then I will just need to replace the fuel tees. 

Quick question on those, I see there are aluminum and there are I guess plastic or whatever they are made out of.  Are those interchangeable? Could I get the aluminum ones and not have to worry about ever replacing them again or are those four different things? 

Sweet!  Okay, well. Once I get that, the carbs will be finished. I got the last two soda blasted and cleaned really well today, I may just for kicks and giggles go ahead and soda blast the faces of all the Jets just to clean them up a little bit. Start them out anew. Or I'll just hit them with a brass brush, and call it a day LOL. 
 Then I will run my little jet cleaner pics through them just to clear out any build up that may be there.  
I plan on getting some socket head cap screws to replace all of the screws in the entire thing, and just go easy screwing them in, just because the cheese screws are chewed up pretty good. And it'll look pretty.  

I guess finally, do you have any recommendations for a paint that will do well on the outside of the carbs? I planned to either do some of that Eastwood Gray that's not only high temp but is resistant to any of the fluids the bike would get on it, but I also might do everything in a flat Black, so I was thinking of just using one of those black automotive enamels.  Any recommendation there? Note this is for the outside of the carbs I'm not going to put it inside.  

• epiphalactic
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
30 Jan 2022 06:32 - 30 Jan 2022 06:58 #861440 by epiphalactic
Yeah, the common consensus I've seen seems to be that they will work you just have to mod the boot a little bit by elongating it a little bit One direction.  The spacing seems to be exactly the same it's only that the boot itself is slightly larger so the holes are off center.  
And it also seems to be the consensus that unless I bore out the engine I will not get any performance upgrades out of it which is fine, I may plan on doing some performance upgrades in the future but for just getting it running I think 

I see you have the main jet bleeder tubes, would you be willing to part with one? And if so how much?  I only need one

One more question for you, the parts just to the right of that that I circled, what are those called?  There is one of them in my rebuild kit for the the vm24, but I did not pull one out of my VM 26 carb.   Am I just missing it? Or is it not in the vm26
You know, I may also need another one of those solid caps,  I will have to look but I don't recall they're being two in my parts basket.  It is possible it was either already gone, or if you had another thing my son ran off with.    If you are willing to part with those two things, if you could let me know a price and then I could DM you.  
Last edit: 30 Jan 2022 06:58 by epiphalactic.

More
30 Jan 2022 06:33 #861441 by zed1015
Replied by zed1015 on topic Carb question/identification.

I never worked on or owned a 650. But I would think the spacing is not the same? For carbs. The 26 carbs are wider? Can you stretch the manifolds? To fit the bigger carbs? As I never hear of guys putting bigger carbs on their 650's for a performance mod? Just like putting 29mm smoothbores on their 900/1000's

They VM22/24's ARE the same spacing as the 26/28's and you use the matching 900/1000 manifolds with the mounting holes slightly elogated inward to fit the narrower spacing of the 650 heads bolt holes.
It's common to use the larger carbs on the 650's and 750's for performance applications and 810 big bores etc and also the 29mm smoothbores on them too and not just the 900/1000's.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

More
30 Jan 2022 06:39 #861443 by zed1015

One more question for you, the parts just to the right of that that I circled, what are those called?  There is one of them in my rebuild kit for the the vm24, but I did not pull one out of my VM 26 carb.   Am I just missing it? Or is it not in the vm26
The parts to the right of the emulsion tubes are the pilot jets.
The long ones are similar to those in the larger 26/28mm carbs.
The other short ones are secondary pilot jets ( usually marked "50" ) and are not found on the larger carbs.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS

• epiphalactic
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
30 Jan 2022 07:06 #861447 by epiphalactic
You've been so much help, I really appreciate it. One more quick question and then I think I'm done bothering you guys for a while at least on the carbs LOL I see on eBay there are both plastic and aluminum fuel tees. I believe the carbs came with plastic ones but can I replace them with the aluminum ones? The plastic ones are cracked and I'd like to never have to replace them again.  

More
30 Jan 2022 08:23 - 30 Jan 2022 08:25 #861454 by zed1015
The aluminium ones with replaceable 'O' rings ( use Viton ) will fit and work great..
Make sure you order the correct one/ones as there are both single and dual feed carbs.
The dual feed uses two short tees and the single uses one slightly longer one.
You can also buy new rubber sleeves to repair the split ones on original cast tees.

Last edit: 30 Jan 2022 08:25 by zed1015.

• epiphalactic
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
30 Jan 2022 08:31 #861455 by epiphalactic
I believe mine had 2 tees. Does that sound correct? 

More
30 Jan 2022 08:41 #861457 by zed1015

I believe mine had 2 tees. Does that sound correct? 
Depending on model and year some had single and some had dual.
Obviously if yours have dual then you need two short tees.

• epiphalactic
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
30 Jan 2022 11:20 #861470 by epiphalactic
Okay, that's what I figured. I wasn't sure if they had single or double only.  I think I will get the aluminum ones then. 

Is the bore specific? For example if I just machined myself a set would it be okay if it had a bigger bore than the previous one?  

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
More
30 Jan 2022 12:19 #861480 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Carb question/identification.

Okay, that's what I figured. I wasn't sure if they had single or double only.  I think I will get the aluminum ones then. 

Is the bore specific? For example if I just machined myself a set would it be okay if it had a bigger bore than the previous one?  

Yes, you can machine your own Tee's pretty easily.  I've made some.  Not sure what you mean by "bigger bore."  Are you talking about the hole size though the Tee?  If so, I'd say the hole size isn't particularly important.  Don't go too big though or there won't be enough meat between the bore and the bottom of the O-ring groove.  

More
30 Jan 2022 12:23 - 30 Jan 2022 22:54 #861481 by zed1015
I make my own and you can make the bore as big as you like within the limits of the bottom of the 'O' ring grooves.
These were for some bored out 26's to 30mm and converted to a large single feed from dual .

Last edit: 30 Jan 2022 22:54 by zed1015.