Carb question/identification.

• epiphalactic
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
29 Jan 2022 17:24 #861403 by epiphalactic
Replied by epiphalactic on topic Carb question/identification.
​Are these pictured what you are referring to? The slide cut away that holds the slide in one position inside of the body? As well as the code on the bottom of the slide?  Or is there something else I should be looking for.  That was my next goal was to try and figure out what they came off.  
And where would I check those again?
if you're talking about the manual, The previous owner forgot to give me the book to it, and I just mentioned to him today if he could get it and give it to me, so he's going to look for it and give it to me otherwise I I'm going to have to order one, but the book is for the 650.  Hoping I don't have to buy one just for the carbs.    Do you recommend anywhere in particular? 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• gd4now
  • User
  • Denco where did you go?
More
29 Jan 2022 18:17 #861404 by gd4now
Replied by gd4now on topic Carb question/identification.
Yes the id or 299 and the slide with a 1'5 cutway. I do not mean to mislead you but I think the 299 id makes them 77 carbs.  Not sure if from the KZ900 or the KZ1000A1 but as I understand they are both the same. I am sure others will chime in but :I think the following came on the carbs stock.

Main jet 107.5
Jet Needle  5CN8- 3 (the 3 means 3rd slot from the top)
Needle Jet O-6 (note the O is an OH not a zero)
Pilot jet 17.5
Throttle cutaway 1.5
Pilot screw 1 1/4 +or- 1/4

1977 KZ650 B1
Pods and Denco header

OLD KAW OWNERS SMILE ALOT

• epiphalactic
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
29 Jan 2022 19:13 #861407 by epiphalactic
Hey I appreciate that so much, I actually posted it in another thread because it wasn't exactly related to what we've been talking about in this but since you are replying pretty quick can you tell me what this is?  

The little brass piece to the right hand side of the picture, it's like a little jet or a breather tube or something like that. I can't find it in any of the diagrams

Also, is the following just called the needle jet holder or the main jet holder or what? It looks a little different than a lot of the diagrams I've been looking at, most of the diagrams I've been looking at show kind of a three piece set with the main jet the holder that screws into where the needle comes out of, and then another little jet on the end of that holder that I guess the needle sets into. This one doesn't seem to have the needle jet part, and it seems the needle just seats directly into the body of the little holder.  
I'm missing one of those do you happen to know specifically what it's called? I'm finding things that are similar but I can't find this specific one.   

More
29 Jan 2022 19:18 #861408 by Mikaw
Replied by Mikaw on topic Carb question/identification.

Yes the id or 299 and the slide with a 1'5 cutway. I do not mean to mislead you but I think the 299 id makes them 77 carbs.  Not sure if from the KZ900 or the KZ1000A1 but as I understand they are both the same. I am sure others will chime in but :I think the following came on the carbs stock.

Main jet 107.5
Jet Needle  5CN8- 3 (the 3 means 3rd slot from the top)
Needle Jet O-6 (note the O is an OH not a zero)
Pilot jet 17.5
Throttle cutaway 1.5
Pilot screw 1 1/4 +or- 1/4

Not for the Kz900, they had air pilots, the Kz1000 had the fuel pilots. 

1976 KZ 900 A4 kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/613548-1976-kz-900-a4
1976 KZ 900 B1 LTD
1978 KZ 1000 B2 LTD
1980 KZ 750 E1
Kowledge Speaks, But Wisdom Listens.
Jimi Hendrix.
The following user(s) said Thank You: epiphalactic

More
29 Jan 2022 19:27 - 29 Jan 2022 19:28 #861409 by Mikaw

Hey I appreciate that so much, I actually posted it in another thread because it wasn't exactly related to what we've been talking about in this but since you are replying pretty quick can you tell me what this is?  

The little brass piece to the right hand side of the picture, it's like a little jet or a breather tube or something like that. I can't find it in any of the diagrams

Also, is the following just called the needle jet holder or the main jet holder or what? It looks a little different than a lot of the diagrams I've been looking at, most of the diagrams I've been looking at show kind of a three piece set with the main jet the holder that screws into where the needle comes out of, and then another little jet on the end of that holder that I guess the needle sets into. This one doesn't seem to have the needle jet part, and it seems the needle just seats directly into the body of the little holder.  
I'm missing one of those do you happen to know specifically what it's called? I'm finding things that are similar but I can't find this specific one.   
The brass tube is for the choke enricher. It will need to be fixed. Soilder.

The main jet tube, is called the main jet air bleed tube. It holds the needle net into the carb body. 

1976 KZ 900 B1 LTD
1978 KZ 1000 B2 LTD
1980 KZ 750 E1
Jimi Hendrix.
Last edit: 29 Jan 2022 19:28 by Mikaw.

• hardrockminer
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
More
29 Jan 2022 19:33 #861410 by hardrockminer
Replied by hardrockminer on topic Carb question/identification.
My educated guess is that those carbs are off a 1977 or 1978 KZ1000.    As Zed1015 mentioned, check the cutaway on the slides.  It should be 1.5 mm.  Check the needles.  If they are 5CN8 it's a '77.  If they are 5DL31 it's a '77 LTD or a '78 standard model.

I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.

• epiphalactic
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
29 Jan 2022 20:11 - 29 Jan 2022 20:17 #861413 by epiphalactic
5cn8.  So from a 77kz1000? 

So the needles from this kit that I got for the other carbs is labeled y63.  It is the same width on the thick end, and for all I can tell it looks the exact same taper but the original needle is about a tenth of a millimeter shorter, the original needle was 57.87 and the new one out of the package is 57 .97. Are these going to be okay to use? Or should I just clean the originals up and reuse them?  They look fine, but. Just figured I'd replace them while I'm in.them 
Last edit: 29 Jan 2022 20:17 by epiphalactic.

• epiphalactic
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
29 Jan 2022 20:21 - 29 Jan 2022 20:26 #861415 by epiphalactic
Awesome that is a great chart, the ones I've been looking at are real blurry and from the parts websites.  
May I ask where you got that or did you get that here at the kzRider site? 

Okay so the main jet air bleed tube, on that diagram it says there is supposed to be another little jet with either a washer or o-ring or something in between them but I do not recall nor in all of the pieces have I seen that part 11 there the needle jet.  

Obviously it's in the parts diagram so I would think it's supposed to be there, or is there some that did not have that and it's all built into the main jet tube.  Unless it's a slip fit or something it also doesn't look like anything can be screwed into it

Also the carbon richer tube needs to be soldered into that hole?  It's a pretty damn tight press fit.    Any writeups or forum posts about it I can search up? 
Last edit: 29 Jan 2022 20:26 by epiphalactic.

More
29 Jan 2022 21:34 #861420 by Mikaw

1976 KZ 900 B1 LTD
1978 KZ 1000 B2 LTD
1980 KZ 750 E1
Jimi Hendrix.

More
30 Jan 2022 03:28 #861426 by zed1015
Replied by zed1015 on topic Carb question/identification.
Unless the choke fuel pick-up tube is broke at the base or split down it's length there is nothing wrong with it.
The small hole at the end and the one near the base are correct and don't need any further action.
Also what jet kit and needles did you buy.
If they are not genuine Mikuni or Keyster i would chuck them in the bin.
Those cheap Ebay/Chinese kits which although LOOK ok cause more problems than they solve.
Unless any of the original brass parts are physically damaged they should be re-used with the exception of the float valve and seat if leaking.
Also the needle jet you are referring to is lightly pressed into the carb body and is held in position by the emulsion/needle jet tube once it is screwed home.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

• epiphalactic
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
30 Jan 2022 06:05 #861432 by epiphalactic
I was actually referring to item 11 the needle jet, but I found it finally.  

• z1kzonly
  • User
  • Sustaining Member
More
30 Jan 2022 06:05 #861433 by z1kzonly
Replied by z1kzonly on topic Carb question/identification.

Your vm26's are the Fuel mixture screw type with the screw underneath .
Once you have determined which model 900/1000 they came off by matching the slide cutaway and jet needle code etc to the book specs you should then initially build them with the stock jetting for that model as a baseline.

26mm with mixture screws underneath are 1977-78 kz1000 models, they even had a white plastic limiter cap with a tab so it could only be turned a 1/4 turn from the factory.

Livin in "CheektaVegas, NY
Went thru 25 of these in 40 yrs.
I SOLD OUT! THE KAW BARN IS EMPTY.
More room for The Old Girl, Harley 75 FLH Electra Glide,
Old faithful! Points ign. Bendix Orig. carb.
Starts everytime!