Good news

More
05 Aug 2016 08:53 #737538 by stokes
Good news was created by stokes
So I picked up a 1980 KZ1000 Ltd a couple weeks ago.I've been posting about issues with it.Anyways,I was sure it needed the carbs tuned and synced and a valve adjust.Its been idling rough and stuttering at low speeds/revs and backfiring on decel.I've been changing filters,fluids,lubing cables etc while waiting to find a mechanic.I found a guy about 30 miles away so I took a ride to talk to him about the carbs and valves.He says the valves are fine and the carbs just need to have the idle/low speed circuit cleaned and a possible re-jet,the bike has aftermarket 4 into 1 exhaust and he thinks they didnt jet it for the new exhaust.He took the better part of an hour going over the bike and talking bikes.He told me to put something called "Mechanic in a Bottle" in the gas,says its the best carb cleaner out there,and bring it back next week and he'll go over the carbs jetting.He says the bike is in great shape and I got a real good deal for 2500 bucks.

1980 KZ1000B Ltd

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Aug 2016 05:55 #737809 by car5car
Replied by car5car on topic Good news

stokes wrote: I was sure it needed the carbs tuned and synced and a valve adjust.He says the valves are fine and the carbs just need to have the idle/low speed circuit cleaned and a possible re-jet,the bike has aftermarket 4 into 1 exhaust and he thinks they didnt jet it for the new exhaust.He took the better part of an hour going over the bike and talking bikes.He told me to put something called "Mechanic in a Bottle" in the gas,says its the best carb cleaner out there,and bring it back next week and he'll go over the carbs jetting.He says the bike is in great shape and I got a real good deal for 2500 bucks.

Valve clearance has to be checked. A bike can have clearance close to 0 and still run fine (not for long). Fuel system cleaners cannot clean clogged slow jets.

96 Yamaha Royal Star
82 Yamaha Virago 920

More
08 Aug 2016 12:25 - 08 Aug 2016 12:35 #737861 by stokes
Replied by stokes on topic Good news
"Fuel system cleaners cannot clean clogged slow jets". Why is that? I put some in yesterday,ran the bike about an hour or so and saw some improvement,rode it today for over 3 hours and it is much better.As for the valves,this guy has been working on bikes for over 40 yrs,has owned a number of KZ's,still has his 77 KZ 1000.I told him I thought it needed the valves checked/adjusted,he could have easily made some money even if they didnt need adjusting,but he says they sound fine.I can check and adjust them myself,over the winter,I dont have gauges for doing the carbs so I figured I'd have him do both at the same time.He says the only thing he thinks it needs is a re-jet for the aftermarket exhaust,said to try the carb cleaner and he will clean them further when he re-jets it,if it needs.

1980 KZ1000B Ltd
Last edit: 08 Aug 2016 12:35 by stokes.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
08 Aug 2016 13:08 #737866 by SWest

More
08 Aug 2016 14:53 #737876 by KZB2 650
Replied by KZB2 650 on topic Good news
Don't want to argue or mean nothin by it but.......I Wish I had a dollar for every time I read on here that valve clearance needs to be checked first if a running problem comes up (for sure if you don't know the history of the bike) and that low speed jets need a manual cleaning and not just carb cleaner to do it "right"...... I'd be buying a 810 kit for a early Christmas present.

1978 KZ650 b-2
700cc Wiseco kit 10 to 1.
1980 KZ750 cam, ape springs, stock clutch/ Barnett springs.
Vance and Hines Header w/ comp baffle and Ape pods, Dyna S and green coils, copper wires.
29MM smooth bores W/ 17.5 pilots, 0-6s and 117.5 main
16/42 gearing X ring chain and alum rear JT sprocket.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
08 Aug 2016 15:03 #737880 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Good news
A valve adjustment is one of the first steps in doing a tune up. It should be done BEFORE adjusting the carbs.
Steve
The following user(s) said Thank You: KZB2 650

More
08 Aug 2016 16:26 #737895 by stokes
Replied by stokes on topic Good news
According to this indy,the bike doesnt need a tune up.The only "problem" it was exhibiting was a stuttering in first and second gear at low revs.It starts real easy,even with the kick,one easy kick and it goes.Hit third gear and its a rocket.Even in 1st and 2nd,if you rev it high it clears up.I had gumout in the tank and it got a slight improvement now with the stuff the mechanic recommended it seems to be clearing up a lot.I'd like to hear car5cars reasoning on why carb cleaner cannot clean "slow jets"

1980 KZ1000B Ltd

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
08 Aug 2016 16:34 #737898 by SWest

More
08 Aug 2016 17:11 #737901 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Good news
Amazing. A mechanic that can tell if the valves are too tight by sound? How the hell can he do that when tight valved don't make noise? Or maybe the valves are noisy and he can tell that way? Wow!

Engine maintenance 101:

The valves on KZ bikes recede into the head with mileage. After some miles all the clearance goes away and then the valve won't close. The valve and seat will then burn. Some amazingly large % of people don't do maintenance on their bikes. They make tons of excuses until the bike starts to falter, at which point there has been permanent damage done. Do you feel lucky?

[IMG
The following user(s) said Thank You: KZB2 650, SWest

More
08 Aug 2016 17:18 - 08 Aug 2016 17:19 #737903 by missionkz
Replied by missionkz on topic Good news

stokes wrote: Even in 1st and 2nd,if you rev it high it clears up.I had gumout in the tank and it got a slight improvement now with the stuff the mechanic recommended it seems to be clearing up a lot.I'd like to hear car5cars reasoning on why carb cleaner cannot clean "slow jets"

LOL.... Carb cleaners work fine for soft gum or some varnish deposits. What I find in slow jets and other tiny passages is hard deposit crud that only a .009"-.012" wire will chase out.
There is NO SUCH THING as mechanic in a can!
It is as close as you can get to a fool's errand trying clear those tiny holes with over the counter carb cleaner.

Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1
2016 Triumph T120 Bonneville
Far North East Metro Denver Colorado
Last edit: 08 Aug 2016 17:19 by missionkz.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KZB2 650

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
08 Aug 2016 17:20 #737904 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Good news
The one main thing I'd be concerned about is it attacking rubber parts. Might run a little better due to the chemicals in it. :whistle:
Steve

More
08 Aug 2016 17:21 #737905 by KZB2 650
Replied by KZB2 650 on topic Good news
I'm a firm believer of additive .... sea foam, regane and Berryman's are a few I like (will probably pick up a can of Mech in a bottle for next time)....... sounds like your carbs are not too bad and are cleaning up nice for you.... worse cases usually need a soak or a guitar string and alot of high pressure air (along with possibly holding off several passages while blowing (Patton's exc idea on the subject). ;)..... I'm pretty anal on draining the carbs and not letting them sit to long so that has helped me out over the years.

1978 KZ650 b-2
700cc Wiseco kit 10 to 1.
1980 KZ750 cam, ape springs, stock clutch/ Barnett springs.
Vance and Hines Header w/ comp baffle and Ape pods, Dyna S and green coils, copper wires.
29MM smooth bores W/ 17.5 pilots, 0-6s and 117.5 main
16/42 gearing X ring chain and alum rear JT sprocket.