RS Flat Slide Pilot Jetting

More
02 Aug 2016 08:14 #737072 by baldy110
Replied by baldy110 on topic RS Flat Slide Pilot Jetting
That all depends on what your final gearing is, what size are the rear and front sprockets, stock? I have mine geared a little high than stock, it tops out at around 145 mph at WOT. When I am really on the throttle I have to pay attention to the shift light it does come up really fast especially in the lower gears.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
02 Aug 2016 08:14 #737073 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic RS Flat Slide Pilot Jetting
Depends on what gear and how long. Watch those plugs in this heat. :unsure:
Steve
The following user(s) said Thank You: daveo

• daveo
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
More
02 Aug 2016 08:34 #737081 by daveo
Replied by daveo on topic RS Flat Slide Pilot Jetting

baldy110 wrote: That all depends on what your final gearing is, what size are the rear and front sprockets, stock? I have mine geared a little high than stock, it tops out at around 145 mph at WOT. When I am really on the throttle I have to pay attention to the shift light it does come up really fast especially in the lower gears.

This bike is a shaft-drive, and I don't know how top-speed relates to engine rpms. I believe with that bike in stock condition, top speed was claimed to be around 140 mph by Kawasaki. Would that speed have been achieved at redline, or WOT?

1982 KZ1100-A2

• daveo
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
More
02 Aug 2016 08:43 #737085 by daveo

swest wrote: Depends on what gear and how long. Watch those plugs in this heat. :unsure:
Steve

Stay cool dude. :ohmy:

weather.com/weather/tenday/l/USCA0828:1:US

1982 KZ1100-A2

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
02 Aug 2016 13:02 #737120 by SWest

• Kray-Z
  • User
  • I need more power Scotty....
More
02 Aug 2016 14:18 #737130 by Kray-Z
Replied by Kray-Z on topic RS Flat Slide Pilot Jetting

daveo wrote: Slept like a baby last night. Must have been that exhilarating ride down the highway...and back.
Wait a minute, maybe it was just a dream.........................................................zzzz......................................................................................

Nope. I actually made a surprising discovery about the air box, and PODS. Wake up Dave...slap! :pinch:

How can this be? All this time I was convinced, and the air box was restricting my pump. :angry: That square shaped little hole behind the filter was determined to keep out the good stuff, and was utterly successful at it. :evil:
Well zzz, enough of that!

Guess I'd better go have myself another look.

Later.

True - most stock air box inlets and filters are way too restrictive for a modified engine....

A proper large volume air box and filter(s), with properly tuned (length) bell mouthed velocity stacks inside the air box plenum, with ram air ducts to high pressure low temperature air, is the best of all...

K&N's are some of the best individual filters, and it does free up space and shed weight from the bike. They make getting the carbs in and out much easier, too. Sucks when it rains heavily, though...and remember to take a plastic bag or two with you when you go to a wand car wash or when leaving the bike parked outside in wet weather - to cover the filters.

2-04 R1, 81 CSR1000, 81 LTD1000, 2-83 GPz1100, 3-79CBX, 81 CBX, 3-XS650, 84 Venture, +parts
Quote "speed costs money...how fast do you want to go?" (Which Z movie?)
Universal formula for how many motorcycles one should own = n + 1, where n is how many motorcycles you own right now....

• Kray-Z
  • User
  • I need more power Scotty....
More
02 Aug 2016 14:21 #737131 by Kray-Z
Replied by Kray-Z on topic RS Flat Slide Pilot Jetting

baldy110 wrote: I have an 82 gpz 1100 with the 1170 kit, web cams ported head, and the rs36 carbs with pod filters. Mine carberates perfectly, very streetable. Starts easy, idles great, no flat spots, very smooth from idle to redline. I'm running 20 pilots, 135 mains with the needle clip in the 4th slot. It carberates perfectly from sea level to 12000 ft, from very cold to very hot temps. I'm extremely pleased with the rs carbs. And I get between 35 to 40 mpg depending on how aggressive I ride.

Very Nice - what a KZ was meant to be IMO! Love what you've done to the place!

2-04 R1, 81 CSR1000, 81 LTD1000, 2-83 GPz1100, 3-79CBX, 81 CBX, 3-XS650, 84 Venture, +parts
Quote "speed costs money...how fast do you want to go?" (Which Z movie?)
Universal formula for how many motorcycles one should own = n + 1, where n is how many motorcycles you own right now....

• daveo
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
More
02 Aug 2016 16:34 #737141 by daveo

Kray-Z wrote:

daveo wrote: Slept like a baby last night. Must have been that exhilarating ride down the highway...and back.
Wait a minute, maybe it was just a dream.........................................................zzzz......................................................................................

Nope. I actually made a surprising discovery about the air box, and PODS. Wake up Dave...slap! :pinch:

How can this be? All this time I was convinced, and the air box was restricting my pump. :angry: That square shaped little hole behind the filter was determined to keep out the good stuff, and was utterly successful at it. :evil:
Well zzz, enough of that!

Guess I'd better go have myself another look.

Later.

True - most stock air box inlets and filters are way too restrictive for a modified engine....

A proper large volume air box and filter(s), with properly tuned (length) bell mouthed velocity stacks inside the air box plenum, with ram air ducts to high pressure low temperature air, is the best of all...

K&N's are some of the best individual filters, and it does free up space and shed weight from the bike. They make getting the carbs in and out much easier, too. Sucks when it rains heavily, though...and remember to take a plastic bag or two with you when you go to a wand car wash or when leaving the bike parked outside in wet weather - to cover the filters.

Great suggestions...

The air box must sit on the bench, for now.

In all the excitement I forgot about rainy weather and water intrusion.
Well, if I happen to get stuck in a storm...so be it. :angry: I've got this little rain cover that came with a Tourmaster fork bag. I'll stuff that in my newly acquired dry-storage space on the bike. It fits nicely over all the filters at one time. I think there's room for the bike cover in that storage space too. :cheer:

1982 KZ1100-A2

More
02 Aug 2016 16:38 #737142 by baldy110
Replied by baldy110 on topic RS Flat Slide Pilot Jetting
I've rode mine in several downpours and never had problems with water intrusion, still ran great.

• daveo
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
More
02 Aug 2016 16:47 #737146 by daveo

baldy110 wrote: I've rode mine in several downpours and never had problems with water intrusion, still ran great.

:)

1982 KZ1100-A2

• daveo
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
More
02 Aug 2016 23:33 - 03 Aug 2016 05:37 #737167 by daveo

swest wrote: Depends on what gear and how long. Watch those plugs in this heat. :unsure:
Steve

Reinstalled the .7 air jets to richen up the #20 pilot jets.
These carbs originally came with .8 air jets. Smaller richens, and bigger leans. :S

Plug appearance with pod setup after a couple long rides:

1982 KZ1100-A2

Attachments:
Last edit: 03 Aug 2016 05:37 by daveo.

More
03 Aug 2016 05:32 #737178 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic RS Flat Slide Pilot Jetting

baldy110 wrote: I've rode mine in several downpours and never had problems with water intrusion, still ran great.

+1

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough