RS Flat Slide Pilot Jetting

• daveo
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
More
28 Jul 2016 06:19 #736470 by daveo
RS Flat Slide Pilot Jetting was created by daveo
With the Street baffle cork back in...

20 pilot fuel jets make slightly dark plugs, and 17.5's produce pops. :blink: .7 (pilot) air jets with 17.5's is rich, but .8 produces pops and subtle pings at take-off when its hot out or carrying a passenger.

I believe the effective range of the pilot screws is from 1/8 to 1/2, and I'm currently set at 3/8+/-.
Idle gets rough beyond 1/2 turn out.

:unsure: Raise/lower the jet needle from center position, or try mid-grade fuel?
Simple tests, but I need a brief rest from tail chasing.

1982 KZ1100-A2

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Jul 2016 21:24 #736558 by jberger635
Replied by jberger635 on topic RS Flat Slide Pilot Jetting
RS flatslides had somewhat poor street driveability, even with and AFR gauge installed I was never able to get a proper tune the way I wanted it. I even recall having the same issue you are having. A few things to make sure of:

make sure your idle mixture screws have good sharp pointy tips on them
make sure the o-rings, little brass washers, and springs are all present and in good shape on the mixture screws.

I believe (its been a few years) that when I checked my air bleeds they were just simply plugs, no holes in them. and I was running a 17.5 pilot jet on my RS 36's. That was with pods, a pipe, 1170 Wiseco kit on an '83 GPZ. It ran OK but smoked black like crazy on the accel pump no matter what i tried.

General consensus is the Kiehin FCR's are way better for street driveability and tuning. you will have to live with some minor tuning issues with the RS's. Im actually so done with carbs my 1394 big block that is getting nearer and nearer completion is getting microsquirt fuel injection

• daveo
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
More
28 Jul 2016 22:18 #736560 by daveo
Replied by daveo on topic RS Flat Slide Pilot Jetting
Great advice, and thanks for sharing your experience with RS carbs. Sorry they didn't work well for you.

This set of carbs does have some idiotsynchracings, but the challenges are worth sorting considering the alternative of going back to the BS34's. Those were great BTW, but they don't let the ponies loose like these do. :ohmy:

I reset the floats to 17mm after originally setting them at 19mm in an effort to prevent overflow-leakage when leaving the bike on the side-stand, and they have not lost a single drop since that was done a few days ago :) Not sure, but that reset may have helped smooth out the idle some.

After posting the subject earlier, I went ahead and moved the clips down to the forth slot, which seems to have cut the pops quite a bit and may have helped the acceleration.

1982 KZ1100-A2

More
29 Jul 2016 06:51 #736584 by jberger635
Replied by jberger635 on topic RS Flat Slide Pilot Jetting
If you really want to tune carbs properly, go pick up an AEM wideband sensor with gauge and temporarily install it. All you need is a 50 cent o2 sensor bung and a buddy with a mig welder.

All the old school guys will say this is a waste of time but it is the most accurate way to tune carbs for making power. There are a ton of writeups in the muscle car world of guys who had no driveability symptoms and great plug wash picking up HP just from proper wideband tuning.

And yes the RS's are great compared to their round slide counterparts, I wouldn't have given mine up for any reason and actually still have them in case they are needed for a future project.
The following user(s) said Thank You: daveo

• daveo
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
More
31 Jul 2016 13:14 - 31 Jul 2016 13:15 #736828 by daveo
:whistle: Prepping for the K&N individual air filters I've had tucked away in a box...aka PODS!
Planning to start with the #20 pilots, along with the quieter V&H Street baffle...

1982 KZ1100-A2

Last edit: 31 Jul 2016 13:15 by daveo.

More
31 Jul 2016 21:06 - 31 Jul 2016 21:13 #736887 by baldy110
Replied by baldy110 on topic RS Flat Slide Pilot Jetting
I have an 82 gpz 1100 with the 1170 kit, web cams ported head, and the rs36 carbs with pod filters. Mine carberates perfectly, very streetable. Starts easy, idles great, no flat spots, very smooth from idle to redline. I'm running 20 pilots, 135 mains with the needle clip in the 4th slot. It carberates perfectly from sea level to 12000 ft, from very cold to very hot temps. I'm extremely pleased with the rs carbs. And I get between 35 to 40 mpg depending on how aggressive I ride.
[IMG
Last edit: 31 Jul 2016 21:13 by baldy110.

• daveo
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
More
31 Jul 2016 22:37 #736895 by daveo
Baldy110, that sure is a cute little green thing you have there...must fly like the wind!
My jetting must be close with # 20 pilots, 132.5 (1 & 4) and 135 (2 & 3) main jets, with clips on the 4th slot. May need to tweak the setup a little, but...whoa, she's a completely different animal.

I felt kinda guilty taking off the air box...until I got off on the highway a couple hours ago.

Ain't sorry no more! Holy %#*^!!!

Just had Christmas in July :woohoo:

1982 KZ1100-A2

Attachments:

• daveo
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
More
01 Aug 2016 06:05 #736924 by daveo
Slept like a baby last night. Must have been that exhilarating ride down the highway...and back.
Wait a minute, maybe it was just a dream.........................................................zzzz......................................................................................

Nope. I actually made a surprising discovery about the air box, and PODS. Wake up Dave...slap! :pinch:

How can this be? All this time I was convinced, and the air box was restricting my pump. :angry: That square shaped little hole behind the filter was determined to keep out the good stuff, and was utterly successful at it. :evil:
Well zzz, enough of that!

Guess I'd better go have myself another look.

Later.

1982 KZ1100-A2

More
01 Aug 2016 08:49 #736952 by baldy110
Yeah when you start modding these engine the stock airbox ends up being a restriction. I originally had the K&N pod filters then went with a foam filter with velocity stacks inside. I got it out of England a while ago. And yes my ELR clone will rip your arms off it accelerates so hard. I have a Koso R1 gauge setup and it includes an accelerometer inside that will let me know 1/4 mile times and speeds. I get 0-60 mph in 2.7 seconds and that is in 2nd gear, 100 mph in less than 9 seconds in 3rd and it just keeps on pulling. An absolute blast to ride and I still get 30+ mpg. Try that in a car.

• daveo
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
More
02 Aug 2016 06:31 #737057 by daveo
Is an ideal relationship between WOT and Red Line attainable through carb selection and adjustment? :whistle:

1982 KZ1100-A2

More
02 Aug 2016 07:51 #737066 by baldy110
You mean between idle and redline? I got mine to carburate smoothly from idle to redline, no flat spots, very smooth.

• daveo
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
More
02 Aug 2016 08:08 - 02 Aug 2016 08:14 #737069 by daveo

baldy110 wrote: You mean between idle and redline? I got mine to carburate smoothly from idle to redline, no flat spots, very smooth.

Redlines quickly, well before WOT, in lower gears anyway. May seem like a dumb question, but how fast would I be moving with the throttle held wide open?

I can't imagine getting a WOT plug chop, without blowing up the motor attempting to get there...

1982 KZ1100-A2

Last edit: 02 Aug 2016 08:14 by daveo.