Opening up airbox?

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
03 May 2016 08:57 #724260 by SWest

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 May 2016 09:04 #724263 by GPzMOD750
Replied by GPzMOD750 on topic Opening up airbox?
Well I guess I cut some off the farting end then cut some off the breathing end. I'm sure I'll have to shove more into the drinking end in the middle.

It's all good. B)

More
03 May 2016 09:31 #724268 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Opening up airbox?
........THERE AINT MORE 2X4!!!! :evil:

That's priceless!!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
03 May 2016 09:52 #724270 by Irish-Kawi
Replied by Irish-Kawi on topic Opening up airbox?

650ed wrote: ........THERE AINT MORE 2X4!!!! :evil:

That's priceless!!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Ed

Ever since I hear that from Tak I have never forgotten it and used it many many times since lol, sure as sh!t gets the point across though don't it?! :woohoo:

Brett

All the gear all the time!

1985 Kawasaki GPz 750 (ZX750-A3) 15,000 original miles www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/601230...z750-refresh-project

Father - Husband - Bourbonr - Rider

• Kray-Z
  • User
  • I need more power Scotty....
More
03 May 2016 11:31 #724285 by Kray-Z
Replied by Kray-Z on topic Opening up airbox?
I'm finding this discussion very interesting. Unless you are an expert in tuning carbs and have a lot of time and gas to kill, for the best overall results, I would say stick with a properly maintained K&N filter in the stock air box and properly install and tune a Dyno-Jet kit. Most of my own stock CV's have Dyno-Jet kits in them now. It is relatively easy and works well enough. I don't drill out the stock slides unless I get an extra set first, just in case I ever want to return the carbs back to original. BTW, of all the CV carbs - I hate the BS34 Mikuni's the most - absolutely hate them!

I believe there is lots of things you can do with the intake side of the carbs (any carbs) that you can mess with to get more of whatever it is you want. One factory OEM example was the differences in the V65 Honda Sabre and Magna. The engines were nearly identical, yet the Sabre, with larger volumes in the exhaust and air box, made 4-5 hp and 2-3 Ft-lb. more torque than the Magna (cams were slightly different, too). So changing the air box can have some effect on performance if you try it. It might not be worth the effort, and you might end up not happy with what you get, though.

Other than maybe sort of looking like a racing engine should, and maybe making tuning access easier, I don't think pod filters are worth doing...(particularly on CV carbs) but are still better than open stacks or bells...that is crazy.

2-04 R1, 81 CSR1000, 81 LTD1000, 2-83 GPz1100, 3-79CBX, 81 CBX, 3-XS650, 84 Venture, +parts
Quote "speed costs money...how fast do you want to go?" (Which Z movie?)
Universal formula for how many motorcycles one should own = n + 1, where n is how many motorcycles you own right now....

More
03 May 2016 11:43 #724287 by Irish-Kawi
Replied by Irish-Kawi on topic Opening up airbox?

Kray-Z wrote: I'm finding this discussion very interesting. Unless you are an expert in tuning carbs and have a lot of time and gas to kill, for the best overall results, I would say stick with a properly maintained K&N filter in the stock air box and properly install and tune a Dyno-Jet kit. Most of my own stock CV's have Dyno-Jet kits in them now. It is relatively easy and works well enough. I don't drill out the stock slides unless I get an extra set first, just in case I ever want to return the carbs back to original. BTW, of all the CV carbs - I hate the BS34 Mikuni's the most - absolutely hate them!

I believe there is lots of things you can do with the intake side of the carbs (any carbs) that you can mess with to get more of whatever it is you want. One factory OEM example was the differences in the V65 Honda Sabre and Magna. The engines were nearly identical, yet the Sabre, with larger volumes in the exhaust and air box, made 4-5 hp and 2-3 Ft-lb. more torque than the Magna (cams were slightly different, too). So changing the air box can have some effect on performance if you try it. It might not be worth the effort, and you might end up not happy with what you get, though.

Other than maybe sort of looking like a racing engine should, and maybe making tuning access easier, I don't think pod filters are worth doing...(particularly on CV carbs) but are still better than open stacks or bells...that is crazy.

Hey Kray, curious why you have such a disdain for the BS34's? I am new to carbs for bikes and just starting to get my feet wet, but I have had very little issues if any with my BS34's, just wondering why the hate?

Brett

All the gear all the time!

1985 Kawasaki GPz 750 (ZX750-A3) 15,000 original miles www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/601230...z750-refresh-project

Father - Husband - Bourbonr - Rider

• Kray-Z
  • User
More
03 May 2016 11:59 #724290 by Kray-Z
One more - thoughts on what the old Japanese machinist said about the 2x4...funny, but way to serious! I guess that's what happens when you make performance into your job, not your hobby.

Everyone interested in modifying our old bikes and cars and trying to get more (fill in the blank here) out of them should fess up to one great truth:

All our attempts at squeezing out performance from old junk are usually futile and completely senseless. Dad used to be an ace at pointing this out to me all the time. Out on the public roads, new cars and bikes can still run onion rings around us and get better fuel mileage while doing it. And they don't blow up nearly as often, either. I've often thought, after dumping thousands of $$$$ into boring out a 1000 cc engine to something like, say, a 1260 cc engine, that if I really wanted to go big displacement / power at the strip, I could have used a 2.4 L DOHC 16V car engine from a junkyard for about 1/3 the price and twice the power / torque, and reliability. Maybe next time...

So why do I keep coming back for more abuse - because it is a challenge, and it is fun!

Admit it - practical and sensible has absolutely nothing to do with it. :evil:

2-04 R1, 81 CSR1000, 81 LTD1000, 2-83 GPz1100, 3-79CBX, 81 CBX, 3-XS650, 84 Venture, +parts
Universal formula for how many motorcycles one should own = n + 1, where n is how many motorcycles you own right now....

More
03 May 2016 12:20 #724292 by GPzMOD750
Replied by GPzMOD750 on topic Opening up airbox?

Kray-Z wrote:

Of course it does! Otherwise, this would be a Harley forum.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
03 May 2016 12:26 #724294 by SWest

• Kray-Z
  • User
More
03 May 2016 12:26 #724295 by Kray-Z

Irish-Kawi wrote:

Kray-Z wrote: I'm finding this discussion very interesting. Unless you are an expert in tuning carbs and have a lot of time and gas to kill, for the best overall results, I would say stick with a properly maintained K&N filter in the stock air box and properly install and tune a Dyno-Jet kit. Most of my own stock CV's have Dyno-Jet kits in them now. It is relatively easy and works well enough. I don't drill out the stock slides unless I get an extra set first, just in case I ever want to return the carbs back to original. BTW, of all the CV carbs - I hate the BS34 Mikuni's the most - absolutely hate them!

Hey Kray, curious why you have such a disdain for the BS34's? I am new to carbs for bikes and just starting to get my feet wet, but I have had very little issues if any with my BS34's, just wondering why the hate?

Brett

Hey Brett,

The BS34 hate-on is from those carbs being prone to rapid wear in the slides, fast idle (choke) plunger mechanism, and throttle plates / shafts. The wear is hard to visually detect, but it makes tuning these carbs an exercise in futility. They are known for this, especially if they are disused for long periods, or not kept clean and maintained. I have several medium to high-mileage sets of them on my shelves that worked somewhat o.k. while they were filthy / stained with oil, crud, and dried up fuel, but wouldn't work properly again after disassembling and cleaning. The crap and crud was actually contributing to sealing the shafts, slides, and butterflies. The lower mileage sets I have went through the cleaning and set up process much better and are on two of my stock engine bikes now (an 83 GPz1100 and an 81 CSR1000), but the others are all junk. I wasted a lot of time and money trying to get them to work. I also found them way more frustrating to set up and tune than the 6 carb sets of stock CV Keihins on my Honda CBX's. The opposite should be true. If Keihin FCR's weren't so expensive, I wouldn't have any Mikuni's at all.

More reason to get on board with jberger635's home brewed fuel injection / engine management system! If he gets it to work - i'll be the first one in line at his shop door...

• Kray-Z
  • User
More
03 May 2016 12:32 #724296 by Kray-Z

GPzMOD750 wrote:

Kray-Z wrote:

Of course it does! Otherwise, this would be a Harley forum.

What's wrong with Harleys???? My suction valve air compressor owes a lot to their design and craftsmanship....

Just kidding - I appreciate all kinds of motorcycles - no matter who builds them. Scooters, on the other hand....don't be silly. :sick:

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
03 May 2016 12:37 #724298 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Opening up airbox?
I just came back from Victorville. What a bunch of snooty riders. That's what. One guy kept "bean farting" in my ear till he turned off. :sick:
I like the pre AMF bikes. B)
Steve