Switched to pods

More
08 Mar 2016 18:53 #714558 by Nebr_Rex
Replied by Nebr_Rex on topic Switched to pods
ED, by stock do you mean totally stock as in ignition and cam timing and stock exhaust?
If so I will agree with you. But if any changes are made I will have to disagree. :evil: :whistle: :woohoo: B)

2002 ZRX1200R
81 GPz1100
79 KZ1000st daily ride
79 KZ1000mk2 prodject
78 KZ650sr
78 KZ650b
81 KZ750e
80 KZ750ltd
77 KZ400/440 cafe project
76 KZ400/440 Fuel Injected

www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=39120.0

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Tyrell Corp
  • User
  • "You were made as well as we could make you"
More
08 Mar 2016 19:10 - 08 Mar 2016 19:18 #714564 by Tyrell Corp
Replied by Tyrell Corp on topic Switched to pods
If anyone has a published article that shows pods to improve performance on a stock street engine please post it.
-
I guess that is the point - pods usually go with a 4-1 , which by definition will change the power curve.

On a slide carb motor tuning the carbs isn't that difficult, with some perseverance and a bit of experience...or you get lucky within 2-3 attempts. - assuming that goofy airbox is in the bin already :laugh:

I accept fuel mpg, air filtration quality/engine wear rates and quietness plus bottom end grunt are all there with the airbox, but for me i
like the sound and look of pods. People have told me for the last quarter of a century how I'll never get a a bike to run right on those pods, maybe but it works for me.

OP fumes venting out of the motor, if excess crankcase compression - that would usually be vented back into the airbox is what you are seeing. Two issues: whether you have excesss blowback from worn rings etc....needs more diagnostics like a compression check to pinpoint. secondly, tuning the carbs - as a guess up one or two on the main jet plus maybe lift the needle.

1980 Gpz550 D1, 1981 GPz550 D1. 1982 GPz750R1. 1983 z1000R R2. all four aces
Last edit: 08 Mar 2016 19:18 by Tyrell Corp.

More
08 Mar 2016 21:24 #714576 by GPzEric
Replied by GPzEric on topic Switched to pods
This thread does seem like a re-run, but with new people coming into the hobby I guess that's to be expected.

I made the same mistake on my Kawi's before - trying out pod filters. I could never get them to run as well as using the airbox, and rubber boots.

Not that you can't run them, and if you have them tuned right, you can pull about the same ultimate HP out of them as the airbox.

The problem I had was that I wasn't Eddie Lawson, or Wayne Rainey, who had their bikes at full throttle most of the time, running velocity stacks, I expected my bikes to carburete from idle to redline without a stutter, and function in any temperature from 40 degrees to 100 degrees.

I did read a period article once where a magazine wanted to make their 1980 KZ550 perform like a GPz550, and after putting on a header, pods, and jet kit, they promptly lost HP on the dyno. It wasn't until they put in 2nd oversize factory pistons and cams that it responded.

So heck, if you like the looks of pods, or you simply didn't get an airbox with your bike, there are guys here who can tell you how to tune them, I even remember tweaking the #2 & #3 Carbs on the inside to compensate for less and hotter air.

That being said - I'll never run pods again.

My wife asked me if I still loved her - I said "Honey, I love you more than new carburetor boots ! "
1982 KZ1100B2 (GPz)
1982 KZ750R1 (GPz)
(2) 1981 KZ550D1 (GPz) 1 mint, 1 under construction
1983 GS1100E

• Proxy
  • User
  • 80% Human 20% Nuts/Bolts
More
09 Mar 2016 04:40 #714586 by Proxy
Replied by Proxy on topic Switched to pods
3 generations of Kawasaki wrenchers here and I can say I love pods. We have acquired at least 7 bikes with pods that the owners have sold us for cheap after they get frustrated trying to tune their podded bikes or discovered the side wind problem or had them disintegrate due to wet weather. The big problem is these mechs cut off the airbox after not wanting to go through the removal process and their path back to airbox heaven was effectively cut off. So we tried to buy every solid box we could find. So yes I do love pods we got some nice bikes pretty cheap because of them. To be fair I do know of two guys riding pods on their Kaws who profess to love them. I have only rode one of those bikes and can say I have a nice box waiting for it and I believe it will come to the boxside. :evil: :whistle:

Take it from me cuz I found
If you leave it then somebody else is bound,
To find that treasure, that moment of pleasure,
When yours, it could have been.
1977 KZ650 B1 Being restored to original (Green)
1977 KZ650 B1 Original (Red) Sold
1977 KZ650 B1 Donor Bike for Parts

More
09 Mar 2016 12:57 #714646 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Switched to pods
Being published is unfortunately not a good test for validity. How many articles have I seen with completely wrong information?

Whether or not performance is improved is not really a valid question since it is too vague. If the question is: do some aspects of the performance get improved, the answer is yes. What someone wants in a drag race is not the same thing someone wants in a road race. A road racer would likely give up some low-rpm torque to get some high rpm horsepower. A drag racer may want the opposite.

The simple facts are:
The performance may or not be improved. Some people don't care.
The carbs will be much easier to install with pods.
For some, rain will be a headache with pods.
There are many other minor up and downsides.
The real issue is jetting. That is the major downside.
It takes a lot of trial and error to get it right.
People grossly underestimate the amount of work it takes.

Now, if someone has already done the work and is willing to share info, then jetting problem may be a non-issue.

I'm not a proponent or opponent of pods, I use both pods and airboxes on different bikes.

More
09 Mar 2016 15:13 - 09 Mar 2016 15:17 #714661 by redhawk4
Replied by redhawk4 on topic Switched to pods

650ed wrote:

baldy110 wrote: I will disagree with you there Ed, always pointing out the negative aspects is not helpful.

Contrary to your assertion, I don't only point out negatives; I have tried to be helpful in other ways as well. I may be a bit candid from time to time as I don't see much need to treat folks any differently than I would expect to be treated; we're all adults on this site. However, contrary to your opinion I believe I have been helpful to folks on this site, and I think his is evident by the number of times folks have taken the trouble to click on my "Thanks" button. Of course, I might have just as many folks click on my FU button if there was one. :laugh: Ed

While people have the right to do what they like to their bikes, I don't believe there is anything wrong with someone pointing out the problems that Pods can cause. It seems many new owners see it as the #1 essential first modification, thinking they are unleashing HP by the bucket load, which is not only untrue, but it is certainly not a modification, IMO, that is for a relative novice, who then won't be able to get it to run right . We can debate the the pros and cons indefinitely, but reality is for most people the stock airbox is the best option, which explains the prices they now command on eBay. Again I do not see it being negative to point out the potential pitfalls of any modifications people may be contemplating, as long as it is worded in a respectful manner not along the lines of "you stupid bleepety blanker" what the" bleep" are you thinking.

My #1 piece of advice to anyone would be make sure you hang on to your stock airbox, you may decide you need it after all, but if you don't they are worth to much money to end up in the garbage, like so many have.

1978 KZ1000A2 Wiseco 1075 kit
1977 KZ650B1
1973 Triumph Tiger TR7V
1968 BSA Victor Special 441
2015 Triumph Thunderbird LT
1980 Suzuki SP400

Old enough to know better, still too young to care
Last edit: 09 Mar 2016 15:17 by redhawk4.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
09 Mar 2016 16:17 #714669 by SWest

More
09 Mar 2016 16:22 #714670 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic Switched to pods
Did the OP ever come back?

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

More
09 Mar 2016 16:31 #714673 by KZB2 650
Replied by KZB2 650 on topic Switched to pods
Can you blame him if he don't. :blink:

1978 KZ650 b-2
700cc Wiseco kit 10 to 1.
1980 KZ750 cam, ape springs, stock clutch/ Barnett springs.
Vance and Hines Header w/ comp baffle and Ape pods, Dyna S and green coils, copper wires.
29MM smooth bores W/ 17.5 pilots, 0-6s and 117.5 main
16/42 gearing X ring chain and alum rear JT sprocket.

More
09 Mar 2016 20:37 #714693 by JaFlo
Replied by JaFlo on topic Switched to pods
It was fun to read those old articles Ed posted, but it reminded me of how antiquated the tuning methods used back then are today. With the right tuning tools, getting the correct jetting isn't nearly as difficult as it was back then.

One thing you never see asked when people make the switch to pods is "what should my air/fuel ratio be?". It's always "what jets should I try?". That's the first indicator that they're not using today's tuning methods to get it right. There is no reason to attempt tuning without a wideband O2 these days. They have become so cheap and are so effective. Nobody is tuning fuel injection without one. Why are people still trying to tune carbs without one?

More
10 Mar 2016 00:19 - 10 Mar 2016 00:21 #714704 by Rockranch
Replied by Rockranch on topic Switched to pods
I am a fan of stock airbox/exhaust setups, as well as intake/exhaust changes when a bit of forethought
is used by that bike's owner, rider, whoever it might be, as to the hit-n-miss process they are likely up
against...especially if it's their 1st time trying these mods on a stock or near stock streetbike. Tuning a
newly modified intake/exhaust system to run responsively from idle to redline is obviously an uphill
battle, though it is possible. I've seen it work over the years with varying success, whether it be my bikes or the bikes of riding buddies. One thing I've learned over the last 40+ years of riding 900's and 1000's is that there is NO surefire formula for carb configs and jet combos that will work for every bike...even identical bikes with identical set-ups. I do know the best chance of success with pod air filters is to keep them properly coated and clean....OH and out of the rain and off of dirt roads! 4-1 exhausts can differ as much as the people that use them in their overall designs (downtube lengths and how they're routed, collection throat size, megaphone shapes/lengths/diameters, and baffle options etc.)...and have many more variables than stock exhaust systems. The best success I've seen is with Kerker 4-1's and Denco (left side exit headers). I have no scientific proof but the pod/Denco combo tuning success we attributed to the narrower throat size (approx 1 1/2") and slightly smaller megaphone. And I had best success with the pod/Kerker combo when I installed a narrower insert into the throat of the front portion (I called it a choker, approximately 3 1/2" long and held in place by 3 small sheet metal screws) narrowing the throat by approximately 1/2" down to about 1 1/2". By doing that, I very quickly noticed a much noticeable improvement in low rpm acceloration and less hesitation when accelorating from a stop or low rpm in any gear. I tried both the narrow baffle and the 2" widemouth comp baffle in the same Kerker and detected a noticeably better performance with the narrower well packed baffle with my stock 903cc engines and always running Premium octane pump gas. I am no scientist but I would say that can be attributed to the increased head pressure(?), and a bit more restriction on the overall flow through the stock head and ports versus the more free-flowing more open exhaust and wider baffles. I also liked the Kerkers design in that all 4 downtubes are basically the same length, collecting under the middle of the engine. I have not seen an original Kerker from an Eddie Lawson replica, but I've been told they have a narrower throat size than standard Kerkers which was one of the direct contributors to his bikes performance success. Makes sense to me because it worked on 2 of my early 900's (a '75 Z1 and a '76 KZ900) BEFORE the E.L. replicas were even produced, and a '77 "heinz 57" KZ1000 farm bike I bought about 12 years ago from a farmer back in So. Dakota that hearded cattle with it lmao! It has a '75 series Z1 engine w/stock 28mm Mikunis, pods and a Mac 4-1. It took a bit of tinkering to get it right, but it ran damm good all the way out here to Cali and 5-6000 miles since.
No it may not work for everyone on every bike, but success CAN be achieved depending on how bad you want it to work. Worked for me. But for anyone thinking of a particular bike's overall value?...leave it stock!!! For the adventurous experimenter?...Go for it!---""just keep an open mind and be prepared for a potential battle getting it right."" ........................................................Mike

Vroom-vroom!!!

(2)-1976 KZ900B-LTD's
1-all stock low mileage...
1 modified
1977 KZ1000 (awaiting resurrection!) :)
...and an old school Honda CB750 Chopper is next on my bucket list!

Oh...and a Pocket Rocket lol!!!
Last edit: 10 Mar 2016 00:21 by Rockranch. Reason: msp
The following user(s) said Thank You: undiablo

More
10 Mar 2016 11:04 #714741 by missionkz
Replied by missionkz on topic Switched to pods
I bought my KZ1000 Denco pipes directly from Denco in the late 70's. It came with a small Venturi insert that is installed inside, right at the collector megaphone junction. Denco told me what jets to install in the 26mm carb's, where the needles should be, the ignition timing and when use the insert.
I've never removed it.
A really good set of headers.

Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1
2016 Triumph T120 Bonneville
Far North East Metro Denver Colorado