Right back to square one.

More
17 Feb 2016 13:27 #711125 by kzharpe
Replied by kzharpe on topic Right back to square one.

swest wrote: Could be fuel starvation. Have you tried running it on prime? Get a can of carb/choke cleaner and spray through the passages. The pilots are very small so a guitar string of strand off a wire brush should go through them to make sure they're clear. Don't hit rubber parts with the spray. Braggarts aside you may have gotten a very nice bike from a guy that was ether too stupid or cheap to get it running right. :whistle: A valve adjustment check should be done before jetting the carbs.
Steve

Steve hit the nail on the head. This morning I drained the fuel, filled up with premium, and turned the petcock to prime. Ran like a champ for about 80 miles. However, it sounds like im still chasing a vacuum leak if its running good with the petcock on prime?

1977 KZ650

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Feb 2016 14:00 - 17 Feb 2016 14:01 #711134 by rstnick
Replied by rstnick on topic Right back to square one.
There are two vent ports on the carbs too, on carbs #2 & #4, purple lines, bottom picture.
There should be a length of hose on each, either coming up and over the air box, or into the air box:

[IMG

[IMG

[IMG

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s
Last edit: 17 Feb 2016 14:01 by rstnick.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
17 Feb 2016 14:12 #711136 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Right back to square one.
Mine sit on top of the box. I don't think I would want them in the box. You need to rebuild the petcock. Your leak could be there or the carb holders are leaking. It's hard to tell. I got new ones and everything changed.
Steve

More
18 Feb 2016 06:03 #711244 by kzharpe
Is there an easy way to check for and find a leak in the carb holders? Also, do you have a link or part number for the specific rebuild kit I would need

swest wrote: Mine sit on top of the box. I don't think I would want them in the box. You need to rebuild the petcock. Your leak could be there or the carb holders are leaking. It's hard to tell. I got new ones and everything changed.
Steve

1977 KZ650

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
18 Feb 2016 06:21 #711253 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Right back to square one.
I resealed my old ones with :ohmy: Permatex, it worked for a while. I bought some from here.
www.diablocycle.com/Carburetor-c-67/
Pics of the carbs could help.
jetsrus.com/index.html
Another place for parts.
jbmindustries.com/
Careful buying on eBay. Some sellers don't care if you get the right parts, all they want is your MONEY. :angry:
Steve

More
18 Feb 2016 07:00 - 18 Feb 2016 13:57 #711261 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Right back to square one.
Carb kits can be a waste of money, since there's usually extra parts to cover a range of models.
aftermarket jet needles sometimes have the wrong taper & the jet sizes may not match the mikuni jets.

I would remove the carburetors from the motorcycle, then remove the float bowls & clean the little parts. then decide what you need. you might be able to read the numbers on the main jets. mine are 92.5. yours probably have a different number. I don't know if the pilot jets have numbers on them. stock is #15.

HF metric nitrile o-ring kit. or viton rubber kit. or eebbaayy. Z1Enterprises.com. o-rings. gaskets. etc.
you might be able to rejuvenate the top gaskets by soaking w LW silicone spray.
Last edit: 18 Feb 2016 13:57 by martin_csr.

More
18 Feb 2016 11:19 #711311 by kzharpe
Am I safe to go ahead and ride the bike just setting the petcock to prime? Riding season is about to start and I don't have the time at the moment for some of these projects. I'm hoping I can just ride it till the weather gets cold then this winter I will check valve clearance/replace valve cover gasket and also pull/clean/rebuild the carbs

1977 KZ650

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
18 Feb 2016 12:57 #711325 by SWest

More
18 Feb 2016 13:43 #711336 by kzharpe
Yeah kinda the answer I expected. Looks like I'll be ordering a gasket knowing my impatient butt will ruin the original. Any good walk throughs on the forum? Did a search and could find anything specific

1977 KZ650

More
19 Feb 2016 07:32 #711454 by rstnick
Replied by rstnick on topic Right back to square one.
The carb holders can be checked for leaks by spraying carb cleaner around them while the bike is idling.
If the rpms change, there is a leak.

KZ650 specific maintenance procedures can be found at kz650.info, link in my signature.

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s