Right back to square one.

More
16 Feb 2016 11:00 #710923 by kzharpe
Right back to square one. was created by kzharpe
I thought I had my whole running lean issue figured out but now I have some new symptoms. All i have done so far is change the oil and put in new plugs. The plugs arent really white and crusty, but more of a gray color so i dont know if im still running lean or not. hereare the plugs

I have always had issue when starting up. I will have to sit there and adjust the choke up and down the whole time it is warming up just to keep it running. Also, if i hit the throttle at all during warm up it will wind up the rpm's and they will stay high like its stuck until i cut the choke a little. After its warm I can kill the choke and adjust the idle knob and im usually good to go. Now the biggest issue is that when I am riding it seems like 2 of my cylinders cut out and I start to bog down. Usually this ends with the bike eventually stalling and me trying to restart it just to get home. Most of the time after I get it fired back up it will even back out again. If it has anything to do with carbs ill probably end up taking it to a mechanic which I dont want to do but I just dont have the know how. Really need some advice on this.

1977 KZ650

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Feb 2016 11:06 #710925 by kzharpe
Replied by kzharpe on topic Right back to square one.

1977 KZ650

More
16 Feb 2016 11:09 - 16 Feb 2016 11:14 #710926 by rstnick
Replied by rstnick on topic Right back to square one.
Which model bike are we talking?

If it has an electronic ignition, it could be one of the pick ups cutting out when it gets hot/warm.

What jetting, air filter and exhaust you using?

A Colortune plug will tell you if your jetting and air/fuel mixture is good at idle.

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s
Last edit: 16 Feb 2016 11:14 by rstnick.

More
16 Feb 2016 11:12 #710927 by kzharpe
Kz650 c1. Not sure on jetting. It's been bored, stroked, and cammed (supposedly). Using a zr7 4 into with slip on muffler and stock air box

1977 KZ650

More
16 Feb 2016 11:46 #710934 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Right back to square one.
Possible issues could also include:

Perhaps pilot circuits are not in perfect as-new condition.
Same for enrichener circuits.
Fuel levels might be incorrect.
Pilot jets might be the wrong size.

Most of the time after I get it fired back up it will even back out again -- :huh: Not sure what this means.

First-time carb cleaning is often easily learn-able, except for OMR who had his usual difficulties. :lol:

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
17 Feb 2016 00:28 #711034 by kzharpe
What I meant was that after I finally get the bike going down the road again, it will start running decent again about 30 seconds later. I'm getting ready to post a link to a video of the bike running. It almost sounds like it's choking but idk how to explain it very well. You can really hear it when the seat is up

1977 KZ650

More
17 Feb 2016 05:45 #711041 by kzharpe
I think I might have had an epiphany last night. The position supposedly had this thing bored and stroked? Well it ran like a dream when I rode it home so correct me if I'm wrong but here's what I'm thinking. Bored = higher compression. Higher compression = premium gas. I've been pumping 87 this whole time so maybe that's my problem. I'm going to drain the gas today and see how it goes

1977 KZ650

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
17 Feb 2016 06:00 #711043 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Right back to square one.
Bored maybe, stroked? :lol: I have had a bored out 900 for 40 years. I run regular gas with no problems. It might be leaning out. Pics of the plugs? I can't tell you how many times I've heard the bored and stroked tales. Asking for the paperwork usually stops that crap. :whistle:
Steve

More
17 Feb 2016 06:00 - 17 Feb 2016 06:21 #711044 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Right back to square one.
It might help if you can find out exactly what the guy did. maybe he went with bigger pistons, maybe not, especially if he can't answer simple questions. If he says it's been stroked, ask him how. whatever he did, ask exactly what he installed. the answers should be easy --- it's not that complicated. there's only so much that can be done, just common kz stuff.
Last edit: 17 Feb 2016 06:21 by martin_csr.

More
17 Feb 2016 06:31 #711048 by kzharpe
Well wouldn't you know it, I'm having a hard time getting him to answer me back on these questions I have. What a surprise. I'll post a link to the pictures of my plugs from the other day. Im more convinced now than ever that I'm running lean though. When I blip the throttle during warm up it will hang up on whatever rpm I stopped at. Also, I have very little gas coming through the fuel filter. It's maybe 5/8 air in there but that may be reasonable since it's a vacuum petcock. Sounds like I'm going to have to tear into the carbs and see what jets he has in there etc etc

www.kzrider.com/forum/2-engine/601207-ch...gs-what-do-you-think

1977 KZ650

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
17 Feb 2016 06:49 #711050 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Right back to square one.
Could be fuel starvation. Have you tried running it on prime? Get a can of carb/choke cleaner and spray through the passages. The pilots are very small so a guitar string of strand off a wire brush should go through them to make sure they're clear. Don't hit rubber parts with the spray. Braggarts aside you may have gotten a very nice bike from a guy that was ether too stupid or cheap to get it running right. :whistle: A valve adjustment check should be done before jetting the carbs.
Steve

More
17 Feb 2016 07:26 - 17 Feb 2016 12:41 #711060 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Right back to square one.
Is the video showing that there's not a vacuum hose attached to the petcock?

If so, is the vacuum nipple capped/plugged on the carb or carb holder where the missing vacuum hose is supposed to be attached?

An open (uncapped/unplugged) vacuum nipple on any carb or carb holder usually results in a large air leak.

Video indicates a racing idle with the choke OFF.
Was the engine already warm when cranked and started in the video?

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:
Last edit: 17 Feb 2016 12:41 by Patton.