Having trouble leaning out my mixture [KZ200]

More
06 Jan 2016 05:34 #705771 by undiablo
Replied by undiablo on topic Having trouble leaning out my mixture [KZ200]
Buy a FLEX-HONE.

Kawasaki KZ 750/4 LTD 1981
Kawasaki KLR 650 2011
Argentina - Buenos Aires

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jan 2016 12:05 #706602 by greeneman42
Replied by greeneman42 on topic Having trouble leaning out my mixture [KZ200]

Just thought I'd post to give a little update and to say thanks for all the help so far. The valves are off and currently soaking in some carburetor cleaner and the cylinder has been honed. The valves seem okay, this bike has less than 8,000 miles on the odometer and other than some pretty heavy carbon buildup on the outtake valve, they don't appear to be warped. As soon as the rings get here, which I'm hoping is tomorrow, I'll begin putting things back together. Thanks again

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
13 Jan 2016 12:11 #706605 by SWest
Viton valve guide seals? Valve guide reamer? Lap the valves and see what you got.
Steve

More
27 Jan 2016 12:03 #708310 by greeneman42
Replied by greeneman42 on topic Having trouble leaning out my mixture [KZ200]
Just as a last update, I figured out what was going on just in case anyone else has this issue. After I slowed down and examined the carburetor a little more I noticed a small dowel sticking out the side. It seemed like nothing important which is why I guess I always overlooked it and went straight to the pilot jet, main jet, etc. But after checking it out I realized it's a vent.

Apparently the bike had to run rich this whole time because it was clogged up with some gunk. My best guess is the carb had to be tuned to allow a lot of fuel in to compensate forcing the bike to run the way it was. I'm still tuning the bike but it's running a hell of a lot better and actually idling this time. Good luck out there!