Having trouble leaning out my mixture [KZ200]

More
31 Dec 2015 17:46 #705093 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic Having trouble leaning out my mixture [KZ200]
I think you can pull the head on any KZ with the engine in the frame. Do you plan to pull the jug and replace the base gasket?

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
31 Dec 2015 18:39 #705097 by SWest

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
31 Dec 2015 19:05 #705098 by SWest
Attachments:

More
31 Dec 2015 20:27 #705104 by TexasKZ
He should be able to reassemble with the old rings. I was concerned that he may have broken the seal on the old base gasket while he was removing the head. Besides, if there was already a leak there, now would be the time to take care of it unless he bought one of those fabulous green gaskets.......

More
31 Dec 2015 21:10 #705105 by greeneman42
Replied by greeneman42 on topic Having trouble leaning out my mixture [KZ200]

swest wrote: Makeshift valve spring tool.
Steve

Nice!

TexasKZ wrote: I think you can pull the head on any KZ with the engine in the frame. Do you plan to pull the jug and replace the base gasket?

I might as well, shouldn't be too much work if retrieving that dropped screw doesn't take all day.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
01 Jan 2016 03:21 #705111 by SWest

More
01 Jan 2016 03:55 - 01 Jan 2016 03:58 #705113 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Having trouble leaning out my mixture [KZ200]
Regarding the running problem, sounds like the float needle is sticking resulting in flooding the engine at low speed. Checking the fuel level using a clear tube on the float bowl drain nipple is a simple test (should be shown in your factory Kawasaki service manual).

Hope you didn't pull the head just because. Now that you have disturbed the seal on the top end you should pull the cylinder off and replace the base gasket and any seals in the top end as well, including the valve stem seals as Steve alludes.

Many if not most gasket kits are highly suspect. Athena brand with the green gaskets in particular. OEM Kawasaki gaskets are of superior quality and you can typically piece together what you need by purchasing individual gaskets off ebay for discount prices. Kawasaki didn't sell "kits", other than some crappy aftermarket kits sold by the US arm. If you find any of these don't buy them either because they are at least 25 years old and the gaskets are going to be hard and brittle.
Last edit: 01 Jan 2016 03:58 by Nessism.

More
01 Jan 2016 05:36 #705124 by TexasKZ
If you do not already have one, the very next purchase you should make is a genuine Kawasaki Factory Service Manual (fsm). It will save you many times its purchase price in money and frustration. Some of the aftermarket manuals are better than nothing, but here is no substitute for the genuine article.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Trackerrrr

More
01 Jan 2016 12:24 #705191 by greeneman42
Thanks, I have a Clymer manual that's proven itself so far. I was able to retrieve my lost screw pretty easily but the valves wouldn't budge. I put a big socket on there and could only compress them about a centimeter. I'm gonna see about renting a valve spring compressor sometime soon or just picking one up.

Nessism wrote: Regarding the running problem, sounds like the float needle is sticking resulting in flooding the engine at low speed. Checking the fuel level using a clear tube on the float bowl drain nipple is a simple test (should be shown in your factory Kawasaki service manual).

Hope you didn't pull the head just because. Now that you have disturbed the seal on the top end you should pull the cylinder off and replace the base gasket and any seals in the top end as well, including the valve stem seals as Steve alludes.

Many if not most gasket kits are highly suspect. Athena brand with the green gaskets in particular. OEM Kawasaki gaskets are of superior quality and you can typically piece together what you need by purchasing individual gaskets off ebay for discount prices. Kawasaki didn't sell "kits", other than some crappy aftermarket kits sold by the US arm. If you find any of these don't buy them either because they are at least 25 years old and the gaskets are going to be hard and brittle.

Oh man, that's the exact pack of gaskets that I bought. Hope they aren't as bad as you say. :whistle:

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
01 Jan 2016 13:20 #705195 by SWest
The keepers are IN THERE. You will hear a pop when they let loose, then try to get them out.
Steve

More
04 Jan 2016 07:03 #705514 by Trackerrrr
Replied by Trackerrrr on topic Having trouble leaning out my mixture [KZ200]

TexasKZ wrote: If you do not already have one, the very next purchase you should make is a genuine Kawasaki Factory Service Manual (fsm). It will save you many times its purchase price in money and frustration. Some of the aftermarket manuals are better than nothing, but here is no substitute for the genuine article.

These are cheap on eBay also, that's where I got mine for $15.

Chris

More
04 Jan 2016 12:01 #705560 by greeneman42

swest wrote: The keepers are IN THERE. You will hear a pop when they let loose, then try to get them out.
Steve

Thanks, I decided to just leave the valves alone. I was planning on getting the bike all assembled today but I broke one of the piston rings when trying to get the cylinder back on. :pinch: Hopefully I can some non original rings. I'm not too fond of ordering parts from 30+ years ago when these rings seemed to snap so easily.