Need help identifying....VM29-A7 Smoothbores?

More
10 Apr 2012 15:05 #515051 by BrockSamson
Replied by BrockSamson on topic Need help identifying....VM29-A7 Smoothbores?
I have been gone for a while and I need some help.

I was dying to get the bike on the road and gave in and took it to a mechanic. He just gave me a call and said the tool he uses to balance the carbs would normally have fittings it would plug into. He said that he doesn't see those. How do you go about balancing the VM29 smoothbores? Is there a write-up somewhere I can point him to?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• testarossa
  • User
  • Attack life, it's only trying to kill you.
More
10 Apr 2012 15:11 #515052 by testarossa
Replied by testarossa on topic Need help identifying....VM29-A7 Smoothbores?

BrockSamson wrote: I have been gone for a while and I need some help.

I was dying to get the bike on the road and gave in and took it to a mechanic. He just gave me a call and said the tool he uses to balance the carbs would normally have fittings it would plug into. He said that he doesn't see those. How do you go about balancing the VM29 smoothbores? Is there a write-up somewhere I can point him to?

The intake manifolds or "boots" for Kawasakis have the vacuum nipples built into them.

1978 KZ1000 A2 Click--->Build Thread
2004 ZX-10R
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
2020 Harley Street Glide Special
Angola, IN

More
10 Apr 2012 15:14 #515053 by BrockSamson
Replied by BrockSamson on topic Need help identifying....VM29-A7 Smoothbores?
Ha! Well that explains that... I have new "intake manifolds" that I purchased from sudco for my application. They do not have nipples installed on them.

What should I do? What do I tell the guy?

Thanks testarossa.

• gd4now
  • User
  • Denco where did you go?
More
10 Apr 2012 15:24 #515056 by gd4now
Short of getting a set of holders that have the ports, I am not sure of a way to use a vacuum sync on them. There are no ports on the carbs themselves.

Not that I would suggest it, but have read a post on another forum where the poster drilled holes in the carb holders and inserted a port for testing. I would think it would be very difficult to get them to seal correctly but he indicated there were not leaks and they worked correctly.

IIRC the very very early z1 heads had a vacuum test port on them where the carb holders meet the head, but I am not aware of any other heads with these.

1977 KZ650 B1
Pods and Denco header

OLD KAW OWNERS SMILE ALOT

More
10 Apr 2012 16:03 #515061 by Patton
Sudco's tuning manual recommends only bench sync and no vacuum sync of 29 smoothbores.

Of course we all ignore this and vac sync them anyhow. :woohoo:

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD