Need help identifying....VM29-A7 Smoothbores?

• testarossa
  • User
  • Attack life, it's only trying to kill you.
More
25 Jan 2012 16:55 #500024 by testarossa
Replied by testarossa on topic Need help identifying....VM29-A7 Smoothbores?

BrockSamson wrote: I see you said be careful with the needle jets and main jets. I should be careful with both?

Also, when you say be careful you are saying to just get them in there and not over tighten? Or to just be gentle?

If they are stripped what must be done to fix the problem?

Click this link to see how I fixed mine: kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/340793-tes...?limit=20&start=1600

Yes you should not try to get the needle jets very tight in the jet blocks. The main jets are no problem. The jet block is made from very soft and porous aluminum. Those threads are easily stripped by the harder brass threads on the needle jet. It's a very common problem with VM29's. If yours are still good, I would recommend that you get them finger tight plus maybe 1/16th of a turn. Seriously, be real careful or they will strip. Also make sure that the threads are clean inside and out before you start putting stuff back together. You don't want to be fighting with dirty threads.

1978 KZ1000 A2 Click--->Build Thread
2004 ZX-10R
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
2020 Harley Street Glide Special
Angola, IN
The following user(s) said Thank You: BrockSamson

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor
25 Jan 2012 17:21 #500026 by DoubleDub
Replied by DoubleDub on topic Need help identifying....VM29-A7 Smoothbores?

BrockSamson wrote: Another question. My bike has a single pull throttle cable that did work with the VM29 carbs. I just assumed that it was pull only (probably showing my inexperience), but after an email to Sudco I am being told I need to have both the push and pull cables and throttle assembly.

I see they offer the Motion Pro Push/Pull throttle assembly and cables. Anyone have experience with using these?

www.sudco.com/CatalogJPG/208.jpg

APE has one also. I don't have experience with either, but they have a good explanation of why you want to have both push and pull:

kzzone.com/carbs.html

(It might actually be the motion pro model - not sure - Jay?)

More
25 Jan 2012 17:28 #500029 by BrockSamson
Replied by BrockSamson on topic Need help identifying....VM29-A7 Smoothbores?
The brief explanation I got was that you could get stuck in wide open throttle, so yeah a smooth return to idle as that explanation had. Thank you for the link. I might send APE and email.

My confusion is that the push pull throttle and cables are "universal" as the sales guy at Sudco told me. How can that be? I asked the guy if it would fit in my throttle assembly and if the length would be alright and his response was:

"It is a universal one. It's pictured here www.sudco.com/CatalogJPG/208.jpg "

I do not need a perfect custom fit. I would like it to just work. It just seems weird no dimensions for anything are given on either the APE or Sudco websites... am I missing something :huh:

More
25 Jan 2012 18:28 #500031 by saxjonz
Replied by saxjonz on topic Need help identifying....VM29-A7 Smoothbores?
Don't install that without push push pull or you will find out at the worst possible moment why you need it. Murphy on a motorcycle is no chump to mess with.
Secondly, just verify that the slides are the same. I heard a motorcycle mechanic saying that Suzukis and Kawasakis may have the same carbs but different slides. Just verify that. I am not sure. I never even thought about it. I can't see how they would make different slides for different bikes. Maybe the needles are different?

79 LTD B3
80 LTD B4 1075 kit JE Pistons .410 cam grind, Bassani, 31 keihin CR Specials...
1980 Z1R, 2002 ZRX1200, 2003 ZRX1200

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor
25 Jan 2012 18:33 #500032 by DoubleDub
Replied by DoubleDub on topic Need help identifying....VM29-A7 Smoothbores?
Needles would be my guess too.

• testarossa
  • User
  • Attack life, it's only trying to kill you.
More
25 Jan 2012 19:04 #500035 by testarossa
Replied by testarossa on topic Need help identifying....VM29-A7 Smoothbores?
Nope, it's the slides. The Suzuki ones have a 2mm cutaway and the Kawasaki version has a 1.5mm cutaway. It makes for different tuning of the idle to 1/8 throttle transition IIRC.

1978 KZ1000 A2 Click--->Build Thread
2004 ZX-10R
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
2020 Harley Street Glide Special
Angola, IN
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoubleDub

More
25 Jan 2012 19:43 #500041 by saxjonz
Good posting. The slides too become worn after awhile as well. This also makes tuning difficult.

79 LTD B3

More
25 Jan 2012 19:48 #500042 by saxjonz
There it is! Thanks man, so I am not full of bs then. Check those out as well to make sure you have what you need to make it work right as close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades.

testarossa wrote: Nope, it's the slides. The Suzuki ones have a 2mm cutaway and the Kawasaki version has a 1.5mm cutaway. It makes for different tuning of the idle to 1/8 throttle transition IIRC.

79 LTD B3

More
26 Jan 2012 16:05 #500194 by BrockSamson
I need a little more help identifying parts. For one I can not figure out where the pilot slow jet is. Below is a picture of the float bowl. The exploded diagrams show that it is in the float bowl area, just exactly where.
Attachments:

More
26 Jan 2012 16:08 #500196 by BrockSamson
One more question. The picture I have attached shows both the Needle Jet and Main Jet, correct?.

Why would I have two with a washer (shown in picture) and two without? Seems odd to me.
Attachments:

More
26 Jan 2012 16:11 #500197 by BrockSamson
Ha, another question. I am sorry if these are really dumb but those exploded diagrams are really difficult to read.

Where is the air jet in this picture and how do I remove it?

Thanks again!
Attachments:

More
26 Jan 2012 16:20 - 26 Jan 2012 16:29 #500201 by BrockSamson
Yep, another question. This thing fell out when I was rotation the carbs around. It was after I had taken the float bowl covers off... but I don't remember where it fell out from. Looking at the exploded diagram ( www.sudco.com/CatalogJPG/078.jpg ) I don't see it. It also seems to be spring loaded.

Edit: I have all 4 of them. They all fell out.
Attachments:
Last edit: 26 Jan 2012 16:29 by BrockSamson.