Need help identifying....VM29-A7 Smoothbores?

• testarossa
  • User
  • Attack life, it's only trying to kill you.
More
26 Jan 2012 16:36 #500204 by testarossa
Replied by testarossa on topic Need help identifying....VM29-A7 Smoothbores?
Lets see if this works:

Attachment carbpic.JPG not found

1978 KZ1000 A2 Click--->Build Thread
2004 ZX-10R
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
2020 Harley Street Glide Special
Angola, IN
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• testarossa
  • User
More
26 Jan 2012 16:42 #500205 by testarossa
As for your air jet:

Attachment carb2.JPG not found

2004 ZX-10R
Angola, IN
Attachments:

• testarossa
  • User
More
26 Jan 2012 16:45 #500206 by testarossa
As for your other questions, I think there should be a washer under all four main jets, and the air jet just takes a flat screwdriver. Obviously a small one, and do be careful. It's easy to strip out the slot if your screwdriver doesn't fit tightly in the jet.

2004 ZX-10R
Angola, IN

More
26 Jan 2012 16:58 #500207 by BrockSamson
Replied by BrockSamson on topic Need help identifying....VM29-A7 Smoothbores?
testarossa, thank you so much for taking the time to help me out. I very much appreciate it.

I am going to have to dig around and find an appropriate screw driver to get those out. I will post back with how that goes.

More
30 Jan 2012 23:12 #501000 by BrockSamson
Some good news and some really #$%#$% bad news.

I got all the pilot jets out with out issue and sorta got all the air jets out without issue. One of the air jets have a small piece somewhere after the air jet's threads stuck down in there. It also seems to be stuck beyond the airjet hole's threads. I am afraid of jamming my tiny flat head down there anymore to try to shake it loose is only going to result in damaging the threads. It also seems to be stuck past the threads so no amount of tapping or shaking is getting it to fall out. I checked to see if I could screw in one of the air jets into the same hole and I can. Air also passes through without obstruction.

I don't know what to do! There does not seem to be any other way to get at it except for the main entry. I have no idea how it broke off like that, it doesn't even make sense. I feel like my two options are to carefully drill that specific piece until it is a bunch of small shavings or just leave it there and hope that it will operate as intended (seems unlikely).

Advice on this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Well other than that 3 of the 4 carbs had clean air jets and pilot jets. One had very clogged pilot and air jets and was probably one of the main issues with the bike running like crap. Attached are pictures. Anyone know what the white residue clogging the jets is?
Attachments:

More
31 Jan 2012 15:42 #501098 by BrockSamson
I am wondering if I can take my flat head screw driver which is a harder metal than the air jet and just scrape away material from it until it falls out and then thoroughly clean out the shavings. It may seem crazy and time consuming but its the only thing I can think of... I am not confident in my ability to use a drill bit and not wreck the threads. Any thoughts on this? Feel free to tell me its a stupid idea.

• testarossa
  • User
More
31 Jan 2012 16:08 #501100 by testarossa
Got a picture of the air jet that came out of the hole with the pieces stuck in it? It would help me visualize what is left in the hole to see the damaged air jet next to a good one. I'm not sure you can scrape away the brass without damaging the softer aluminum, but I have never tried it. Sounds like it's time to play operation. I might suggest trying to soak the carb body in some carb dip to loosen any deposits that may be trapping this portion of the jet. That may allow you to blow it out with compressed air from the other side of that passage or carefully pick it out from the front. Hard to know without seeing what I'm up against. I'm a visual person.

2004 ZX-10R
Angola, IN

More
31 Jan 2012 16:34 #501105 by BrockSamson
I need to find it. I threw the piece other across the apartment in rage last night :angry:. I just couldn't believe it broke off like that.

If you look at the picture of the air jet attached its the entire portion after the threads. So its smaller than the threads. It is jammed in there past the point where the air jet is screwed into. given the size of the hole and the part of the air jet that is left you would think it could just fall out if you gave it a couple taps.

I will take pictures tonight, I am also going to take a very tiny screw driver and make another attempt at fishing it out. I am just worried I am making things worse my mashing the (brass?) and flattening it out. Thankfully the brass piece is beyond the threads and I can get a tool in there and not molest the threads when I am jabbing at it. I just don't know what is past that.. there has to be an air hole that feeds the jet... and I know its not completely jammed or noticeably clogged because I can blow air through that entire area and it seems to be an equivalent amount of blowing pressure (using my mouth as an incredibly inaccurate gauge of this). But I could poke at it and push brass into that passage. I am going to get some carb cleaner in there and see if deposits are causing the issue.

Are there any issues with soaking the entire carb assembly in carb cleaner for a few hours? Not sure if there are sensitive parts.

More
31 Jan 2012 16:44 #501107 by BrockSamson
Picture showing where the jet seemed to have broken off at and the arrow points to the part that is in the air jet "tube" aka where the air jet is screwed into the carb body.
Attachments:

• testarossa
  • User
More
31 Jan 2012 17:32 #501118 by testarossa
That portion of the jet should fall right out unless the passage is full of gunk, the piece turned sideways, or there is some small portion of the thread still attached. Just make sure that you have the carb body stripped of all gaskets, orings, floats, etc. The carb dip will do damage to plastic and rubber parts and you should have all of that stuff off the carb at this point if I'm not mistaken.

As an aside, if you are at the point of anger where you feel the need to throw parts across the room it is probably time to take the night off and try again on another day. I know that when I get that mad, I'm not able to focus on tedious stuff such as fishing a tiny brass part from a carb body.

2004 ZX-10R
Angola, IN

More
31 Jan 2012 17:48 #501127 by BrockSamson
Yeah after I got mad about it breaking (I was trying REALLY hard not to do anything stupid after all the warnings) I poked at it for two seconds and left it and went to paint the mixing bowl and float bowl covers then called it a night. The funny thing I was overjoyed to see that the air jet and pilot jets were clogged in one of the carbs, it meant that I found what was most likely the source of the problems I had with running the bike. My instant overreaction was that the carb was ruined. I am over being that dramatic.

I had a very strong LED light pointed into the passage... I didn't see gunk and this isn't the carb that had the weird white buildup. Either way I will run the carb cleaner through it and then run compressed air and see what happens. I will be sure to update tonight.

Again, Testarossa thank you for the advice.

BTW... I am starting to wonder if the part was broken before I went to unscrew it and that it has been jammed down in there this entire time. I am having a hard time grasping how this could happen though.

More
31 Jan 2012 21:11 #501166 by BrockSamson
Looks like I got all the bits and pieces out. I had to break it apart. I did take off a little aluminum off but I am just keeping my fingers crossed everything is alright. Maybe a very tiny bit of teflon tape on the threads of the new air jet will keep everything nice and tight.

That weird white buildup on the carb air jet and pilot jet (none on main jet)... what is that and why would it only affect one of the carbs?