Mikuni BS34 info

More
09 Sep 2008 21:48 #236455 by shade_tree
Replied by shade_tree on topic Mikuni BS34 info
Skyman ...your info has helped imensely...the manual link allowed me to tear into these carbs right away...so thank you for that and these other points.

So the carbs are apart, i left them on the rails...cleaned everything up real nice and have lots of pictures if anyone is interested in knowing what is inside the BS34's...i havent figuired out how to post multiple pictures without doing a separate posting and i still feel weird about stepping on Grinch77's toes here.

sorry for hijacking your thread Grinch.

so tomorrow i need to round up some O-rings somewhere...i am wondering what holds the little brass plug...the manual says i should put a fastening agent of some sort...I am tired, but the things are clean, ready to go back together and all the parts in great shape...happy camper...thanx for listening. peace out.

Keen Kid Kellys Kawasaki KZ

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Skyman
  • User
  • 1978 KZ1000-B2 LTD 1982 KZ1000-M2 CSR
More
09 Sep 2008 22:03 #236459 by Skyman
Replied by Skyman on topic Mikuni BS34 info
shade_tree wrote:

so tomorrow i need to round up some O-rings somewhere...i am wondering what holds the little brass plug...the manual says i should put a fastening agent of some sort...

I assume you are talking about the plug over the pilot jets, right? I've never used any "fastenting agent". I just let the o-ring hold it snug.

For the O-rings, the quickest solution would be to head down to Harbor Freight Tools in Medford and pick up their Metric O-Ring Assortment kit. It contains hundreds of o-rings of all sizes.

This is what I'm talking about.

West Linn, OR

More
09 Sep 2008 22:10 - 09 Sep 2008 22:24 #236463 by shade_tree
HAHAHA ask and ye shall recieve! that is one hell of an idea....lifetime supply of O-rings for under ten bucks....and yes...thats the plug, it has a tiny O-ring on it. I assume these Chinese O-rings are suitable for imersion in Saudi gasoline in my Japaneze motorcyle for use here in America.

Last edit: 09 Sep 2008 22:24 by shade_tree.

• Skyman
  • User
More
09 Sep 2008 22:27 #236464 by Skyman
Rest assured, HFT only sells multicultural O-rings. :laugh:

West Linn, OR

More
09 Sep 2008 22:38 #236465 by shade_tree
i cant resist...here is some pics of the project...the tops to the cans of carb cleaner make handy soaking trays for tiny parts and help keep things Oregon-ized...HA!

Attachments:

More
09 Sep 2008 22:39 - 09 Sep 2008 23:06 #236466 by shade_tree
Note the "Bench Monkey"... he is an integral, key player in all the projects around here...he is worried that his job is in jepoardy since i found this KZR site...hell, so far it's like having the carburator repair fairy available at the touch of a button! I mean that in the best way. Me and the monkey are headed for HFT in the morning.

Attachments:
Last edit: 09 Sep 2008 23:06 by shade_tree.

More
10 Sep 2008 21:26 #236652 by shade_tree
Allrighty then...Harbor Freight turned out to be a day trip...didn't get much done on the carbs...but i have a lifetime supply of O-rings now...they certainly are NOT OEM type equipment, however, they will do for this rebuild. I ruined three of them because they simply do nnot fit correctly...but with a liitle Massage they ease up and slide in.

The guys at the Kawaski shop in Medford are jerks...tried to tell me that my '82 KZ isn't worth the time i am putting into it and that the carburators are junk because they are old...what an idiot...he wouldn't even go look for some O-rings for me...he wanted me to "consder buying a new motorcycle"....what a jerk.

I couldnt get bowl gaskets so i had to make my own...again they will do for this rebuild...here is some pics showing how to cut gaskets when in a bind. One of my most handy tools is a set of punches that make the screw holes and passage holes in the gasket material...i got 'em at the chinese tool store about twenty five years ago and they have made many gaskets since...a must for any shade tree mechanic.

assembly tomorrow and maybe we see if these gaskets and O-rings are gonna fly...it's all experimental ya know.

peace.
~K~

Attachments:

More
10 Sep 2008 21:28 #236653 by shade_tree

Attachments:

More
10 Sep 2008 21:28 - 10 Sep 2008 21:30 #236654 by shade_tree
how can i post more than one picture in the same posting?

Attachments:
Last edit: 10 Sep 2008 21:30 by shade_tree.

More
11 Sep 2008 12:28 #236703 by shade_tree
Help? Ok...there is a part on these carbs called a "pilot Screw" it's accessable from the top, has an o-ring, a spring, and is covered by an alluminum plug...parts #19, 20, 21, and 23 from the owners repair manual. How does one get that plug out without destroying it? That area of the carb is the only place i am not certain that is clean...it seems important since it is associated with a very tiny hole in the carb body...looks like it is the main place where the fuel comes to mix with the air. There is another similar alumimun plug that covers a hole in the float bowl...i am considering buying kits from Z1E but they only come with one of those alluminum plugs...i do not know which of the two plugs come with the kit...and they are different sizes. So...how do you remove the aluminum plug that covers the "pilot screw"?

thanx...peace.

• Skyman
  • User
More
11 Sep 2008 12:57 - 11 Sep 2008 13:07 #236708 by Skyman
Go ahead and destroy the plugs. The only purpose they have is to keep you from accessing the mixture screws. Once removed, they do not need to be replaced.

The easiest way to remove them is to CAREFULLY drill a small hole in them, then pry them out with an awl, or pick. Be carefull when you drill the hole that you don't keep going after the drill breaks through the cap, and mess up the screw. Don't worry, it's not that difficult--just don't put a lot of downward pressure on the drill, and take it slow.

Edited to add: I'm talking about the plugs on the top, not the ones in the float bowls that cover the pilot jets. The float bowl plugs ARE necessary--but these can be removed without destroying them.

West Linn, OR
Last edit: 11 Sep 2008 13:07 by Skyman.

• Skyman
  • User
More
11 Sep 2008 13:01 #236711 by Skyman
Oh, and one more thing. Before your remove the mixture screws, carefully screw them in until lightly bottomed out, and count the number of turns so that when you replace them, you can return them to their original setting. That doesn't mean that their original setting is necessarily correct, or optimal. But it will give you a good place to start from.

West Linn, OR