Vance and Hines installation

More
27 Aug 2006 11:26 #72803 by MkII
Replied by MkII on topic Vance and Hines installation
there have been some quality control issues with V&H meg systems over the past 6+months or so mainly with poor chrome and your issue of the meg/collector fitment. Redline stopped carrying them altogether and Z1 Ent. has had returns on these issues also. I got mine from Jeff about 30 days ago and it should take no more than 10 min or so to bolt one up with no problems. I lucked out and got a good one but a reputable shop should exhange one without a hassle if you asked them to but considering the low cost of these it's not much of a suprise a little tweaking is needed.

1977A1 current project: 1075, Web cams, VM29's Cavanaugh massaged head, Z1 crank

1979A3A Parked in 1986 left in shed

Phx,Az

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Aug 2006 11:50 #72807 by pmarion
Replied by pmarion on topic Vance and Hines installation
I would think that rather than sand the plated header, it might be better to sand inside the megaphone inlet. I would want to keep all the chrom I had to help avoid ANY future rust problems...

More
27 Aug 2006 12:04 #72811 by navyflyr
Replied by navyflyr on topic Vance and Hines installation
Hey pmarion I couldn't agree more and that is what I did to make mine fit, I know in 81 i bought a gs550e from suzuki and put a vance and hines on it and it was simple and looks were great. now after istalling this pipe i can see that the quality of product has decreased over the years. But it looks and sounds good after instsall complete.

More
28 Aug 2006 06:33 #72941 by medic24
Replied by medic24 on topic Vance and Hines installation
I just got a V&H megaphone pipe off Ebay recently, noticed the same fitting issue. Only problem is now I need the "hardware" to mount it!!! Emails to V&H tech have gone unanswered. Anyone with extra hardware lying around let me know. Thanks
Dave

• wireman
  • Visitor
28 Aug 2006 10:08 #72967 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Vance and Hines installation
if you need a bracket to mount rear of header to frame,youre probably gonna have to build your own. :whistle:

More
05 Mar 2008 17:35 #198597 by 2M4Dale
Replied by 2M4Dale on topic Vance and Hines installation
Did a search ... found this thread ... answered my questions !!!! Awesome !!!

I'll sand the inside of the megaphone to get my unit to fit. I don't like the "no-clamp" idea ... I might use the old clamp off my MAC system. We'll see B)

Hello from Sunny Mansfield, Ohio
1980 KZ750H1 LTD
1981 KZ750H2 LTD

More
05 Mar 2008 18:16 #198601 by saxjonz
Replied by saxjonz on topic Vance and Hines installation
Vance and Hines, sound great without baffle. All the guys in my group that I ride with told me the baffle out makes the bike sound great and loud pipes save lives. The drawback is that you lose low end but on the highway you fly.
I used to think that is was too loud now I think is sounds fine and to be truthful unless you are a pipe end it doesn't really sound all that loud.
The hardware I had to fabricate because I got the kz set up instead of ltd set up. Big deal you can make it look good or functional. if you want functional a piece of metal a hacksaw a drill and you are in business. Use that as a reference point to when you get a nice piece of metal all filed down smooth and chromed or what ever. It won't be that noticeable if it is just a black piece of powder coated or painted metal.
I heard kerker sounds loud and slows the bike down by someone who races. I told them this is the pipe what do you think. He said they sound nice but quarter mile time the vand h has an advantage. They both are nice pipes. Once you get that beach on you will be happy. Baffle or no. Take out the fiberglass and let that baby roar. Or ride it with fiberglass and then pull it out for a while and then go open. Like enjoy it all ways. But you gotta get it jetted if you want to get it to run right. Too lean is not a good thing.

79 LTD B3
80 LTD B4 1075 kit JE Pistons .410 cam grind, Bassani, 31 keihin CR Specials...
1980 Z1R, 2002 ZRX1200, 2003 ZRX1200

More
05 Mar 2008 20:55 #198639 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Vance and Hines installation
Hello . . . Hello . . . Tap - Tap - Tap. Is this thing on?? :woohoo:

(What's that about leading a horse to water?) :lol:

The horror stories about too tight fitment between canister and header on V-H result simply from the chrome plating being a little too thick.

No clamp is used. Nor is it needed for an easy perfect precise snug slip-on fit with no leakage whatever.

Extra thick chrome is a good thing. Don't ruin it with some ham-fisted stone-ax neanderthal sanding and grinding. :pinch:

Take the new V&H to the local muffler shop guy who will put an expander tool in the cannister and with one quick 5 second adjustment have it fitting perfectly and with no chrome damage whatever, and no visual difference at all, just a nice easy snug perfect fit. Slick as a whistle. He'll just smile and say, "I'd marry that!" :kiss: Installation will not require any lube or sealant of any kind, and no leaks whatever. This fitment cure is miraculous compared to the alternatives. :cheer:

A slightly misaligned cannister tab may be easily adapted to fit with a short metal strap between it and the rear peg bolt. I 've always used a small rubber "motor mount" sandwiched between the cannister and bike frame to eliminate vibration from this area between cannister and bike frame. The mount is a small rubber cylinder with 1/4 inch bolts coming out both sides, about one inch long with male threads. Works like a charm.

Also used an entire can of ultra high-temp spray paint to thickly coat insides of brand new header pipes befpre installation, which so far have not blued and remain bright shiney chrome after numerous rides, some over several hundred miles (including several hours bumper to bumper traffic in 90 degree weather at Daytona Bike Week). ;)

Couldn't be happier with the new V&H system. And don't forget the V&H competition baffle for "off-road" use. :P

Rant over. Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

More
05 Mar 2008 20:57 #198640 by Patton

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

More
05 Mar 2008 20:58 #198641 by Patton

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

More
06 Mar 2008 03:13 #198663 by 2M4Dale
Replied by 2M4Dale on topic Vance and Hines installation
Hey, even more better ideas for the "relative" newbie !!! Thanks Patton !!!

Hello from Sunny Mansfield, Ohio
1980 KZ750H1 LTD
1981 KZ750H2 LTD

More
07 Mar 2008 10:05 #198924 by 79MKII
Replied by 79MKII on topic Vance and Hines installation
I just went through the same thing with my new V&H earlier this week!:angry: The last pipe I bought from them, exactly like the new one and for the same bike, was 15 years ago and it went together without a problem. On this new one there was NO chance of getting the megaphone onto the collector. I also assume it is from the chrome plating thickness. I opted to lightly sand inside the megaphone and it worked, but that shouldn't have to be done!! I have tried several other brands and I just don't like the looks/fit/style as well as the V&H chrome megaphone. I just wish they'd fix the fitment issues...

I hadn't thought of the expander tool - I wish I had checked KZR before I sanded.

The Kaw List:
Current: 79 KZ1000 A3 MKII, 78 KZ1000 A2, 78 KZ1000 Z1-R, 78 KZ650 SR, 80 KE175
Former: 03 KLX400SR, 99 ZRX1000, 82 KZ750 LTD, 80 KZ1000 A4 MKII, 80 KZ1000 LTD, 78 KZ1000 A2, 74 H-2 750 Triple, 78 KL250