Vance and Hines installation

More
25 Aug 2006 22:04 #72568 by navyflyr
Vance and Hines installation was created by navyflyr
Ok here is the deal, I just got in the mail my new vance and hines 4 into 1 megaphone. The pipe hooks up to the head ok but the megaphone will not slide over the collector pipe. is it supposed to slide over it or am I missing a piece here. Is there some sort of clamp that I did not get cause this thing is pissing me off. I have been trying for hours to do what the installation paperwork say it should take a few minutes.
HELP:angry:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • Visitor
25 Aug 2006 22:14 #72571 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Vance and Hines installation
spray a little wd-40 in there.wait till you try and fit it to the bike!:whistle: :evil:

More
25 Aug 2006 22:14 #72572 by austin3119
Replied by austin3119 on topic Vance and Hines installation
I had the same problem when I got mine. I think they leave it in the chrome plating too long and it gets too thick. Grab some of the sand paper that comes in the rolls (like tape). Loop it all the way around the exhaust where it meets with the header and go to work. Make sure not to sand too far back on the exhaust or obviously it will be visable. It took me a good hour or two to get enough of the chrome off so it would fit together with the header. Be careful not to take too much off though because you don't want a loose fit.

I'm not sure if I can explain it well, but loop the sandpaper tape all the way around the exhaust so it makes a circle around the exhaust and then hold one hand on each end of the tape and move it back and forth ( east and west) so you are taking chrome off the whole circumfrance of the exhaust. It's much quicker this way.

I tried WD40 too. It helped when I got enough material off.

Oh yeah, by the way, I was P@##ed off too.

Have fun!

Or it may be the other way around. It may be you need to take the material off the header portion. I don't exactly remember. But it will be obvious to you when you look at it.
Post edited by: austin3119, at: 2006/08/26 01:15

Post edited by: austin3119, at: 2006/08/26 01:18

Post edited by: austin3119, at: 2006/08/26 01:36

More
25 Aug 2006 22:27 #72578 by navyflyr
Replied by navyflyr on topic Vance and Hines installation
YEP thanks this is what I started to do but it is late and Iwill have to get it the 2 or more hours it needs later. I am glad that it has happened to someone else because I was about to make some phone calls tomorrow. By the way how does that pipe sound and did you take the baffle out or left it in on yours austin3119

More
25 Aug 2006 22:33 #72580 by austin3119
I think the pipe sounds great myself, but I have been told by a few people that I should have bought a Kerker. I don't know, I like it. I haven't taken the baffle out yet.

More
25 Aug 2006 22:36 #72582 by navyflyr
I could not find a kerker for a kz750 ltd so I went with the v/h I hope it sound badass. kind of like mean sounding throaty.:evil:

More
25 Aug 2006 22:38 #72583 by austin3119
It looks like you are a pilot huh. Keep the blue side up. Hah.

I flew skydivers about 5 years ago in Buckeye out by Luke Airforce Base. Had a few close calls with some of the newbies who had their eyes glued to the instruments instead of looking for traffic. I think a few times the guys were just having a bit of fun. That was a fun job.

Post edited by: austin3119, at: 2006/08/26 01:42

More
26 Aug 2006 05:07 #72606 by cnyl
Replied by cnyl on topic Vance and Hines installation
I had the same problem with mine while putting it on my GPz. I used my dremel to grind down the chrome a bit. Worked great. Mine didn't come with a clamp. It's not going anywhere. lol:)

1982 KZ1000 M2 CSR
North Port, FL

Check out my band
www.myspace.com/tukrhill

More
26 Aug 2006 18:27 #72710 by navyflyr
I did the same thing with the drimmel. I must say that the sound is nice and the look is good, But I am very dissapointed in the assembly process that they have. If it needs to be modified they should say so instead of having this piece of paper I am looking at that says "this pipe is made as a perfect fit for your bike" if you have the pipe you know the blurb. It does work though.

As for the pilot thing I can tell you we have TCAS for air traffic, very nice to have. but as for as our pilot/trainees you are tought to trust and fly your guages.

More
26 Aug 2006 18:30 #72712 by navyflyr
ok here is one for ya
Attachments:

• wireman
  • Visitor
26 Aug 2006 18:47 #72721 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Vance and Hines installation
that looks scary!:S i prefer the minimal approach myself!:evil: :P
Attachments:

More
26 Aug 2006 18:50 #72722 by navyflyr
that is the funniest thing, lmao....