Engine numbers

More
20 Oct 2022 08:58 - 20 Oct 2022 09:01 #875764 by Wookie58
Replied by Wookie58 on topic Engine numbers

The numbers match all documents
Reg in 1982  march 
​​​​​​I'm now in contact with Kawasaki in the Netherlands waiting on information. 
As I said- this could be a pre-production bike that has found it's way into circulation. Was there any changes for the 83 model that this bike has ahead of launch date ?

Last edit: 20 Oct 2022 09:01 by Wookie58.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Oct 2022 09:33 #875765 by Moosey
Replied by Moosey on topic Engine numbers
I honestly Dnt know this is all new to me first kawasaki I have owned. 
One interesting thing is on the documents the engine number and frame number are correct as to the bike and states make kawasaki but 
Model  is blank. 

More
20 Oct 2022 10:06 - 20 Oct 2022 10:57 #875768 by zed1015
Replied by zed1015 on topic Engine numbers

Those letters and numbers are not Kawasaki font but generic font of the widely available engineering number stamps such as supplied by Micromark etc
It's a neatish job but not at all original.

I see what you mean ref the stamping, however if this matches the original documentation could this possibly be a "pre-production" bike ahead of a model year change that has been stamped by hand. Many years ago when we as a dealer ordered a replacement engine from VW it came blank and the dealer tech stamped the number into it to match the documentation (I have seen some done well and some shocking) not sure what the value of "matching numbers " is in that instance
Very unlikely.
I see that the engine is in a chop.
Our local patch club used to build chops and stamp the frames and " DONER" engine with their own numbers before getting them registered.
This was back in the day before computerisation and tighter controls..
Most times they'd get a Q plate reg but sometimes an age related or current year.
I'd say this is a similar situation especially as the reg doc has no model stated either.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

Last edit: 20 Oct 2022 10:57 by zed1015.

More
20 Oct 2022 11:13 #875771 by Moosey
Thanks for the information 
Appreciate all 

• gd4now
  • User
  • Denco where did you go?
More
20 Oct 2022 12:10 - 20 Oct 2022 12:11 #875775 by gd4now
Replied by gd4now on topic Engine numbers
Like others I have never seen an engine number like that one on a (K)Z650.  I have no idea on what engine or frame info is required in that part of the world or how date of registration is reported. From the pics posted it looks like a 650 engine but some of the 750 engines from the same time period look much the same.  Something I did notice from the pic of the engine in the frame there is a bracket (appears to be L shaped) near the front right foot peg that I do not think I have ever seen on a 650.  Though it could be the angle of the pic, but the front break pedal does not appear to have a bend in it to go under the front foot peg.

If it is a true 1982 model 650 then to the best of my knowledge the only models offered that year where the F2 and the H2. 

1977 KZ650 B1
Pods and Denco header

OLD KAW OWNERS SMILE ALOT

Last edit: 20 Oct 2022 12:11 by gd4now.

More
20 Oct 2022 13:12 #875783 by Moosey
Cheers for the information 
All I know is it was registered in 1982 as 650 kawasaki
Documents showing same engine and frame number 
​​​​​​

More
20 Oct 2022 13:27 #875784 by zed1015
Replied by zed1015 on topic Engine numbers

Something I did notice from the pic of the engine in the frame there is a bracket (appears to be L shaped) near the front right foot peg that I do not think I have ever seen on a 650.  Though it could be the angle of the pic, but the front break pedal does not appear to have a bend in it to go under the front foot peg.

It's not a stock frame. 
It's a chop/custom, possibly hardtail.
The L shaped bracket is the rear engine mount which comes off horizontal tubes from a central upright.
Pretty much textbook configuration for a 70's 80's chop frame.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

More
20 Oct 2022 13:33 #875785 by Moosey
Yep that's correct it's hardtail chop low rider 
Was just trying to find out about engine as like all are saying can't find anything on KZ650A 
anyway thanks to all and maybe I will never find out but its great to ride. 

More
20 Oct 2022 14:43 #875789 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic Engine numbers
Most of the parts on the various versions of the 650 engine are identical or at least interchangeable. One major exception is the charging system. Kawasaki used several different ones, and if you need parts, you will need to know exactly what you have. One easy way to narrow it down a bit is to count the number of yellow wires coming out of the dynamo/ generator cover. 

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
More
20 Oct 2022 19:49 #875797 by hardrockminer
Replied by hardrockminer on topic Engine numbers
The S/N is almost certainly a re-stamp.  As mentioned already the font is not what KHI used back then.  Also, there should be no dash in the engine number.  The border around the S/N plate is missing.  

What is the S/N on the frame?

I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.

More
21 Oct 2022 05:00 - 21 Oct 2022 05:08 #875801 by Injected
Replied by Injected on topic Engine numbers
To confirm validity of KZ650 frame and engine numbers go here :

www.jarlef.no/Kawasaki/Series/Z/650/z650b.htm

Always the engine numbers are : KZ650BEXXXXXX (no dash and only 6 numbers always) on model B/C/F then on D models KZ650DEXXXXXX

If it is anything other than that I would suspect restamping to match paperwork (the same goes for frame numbers)

The casting where the engine number is stamped always has a 1 mm raised cast border, if it is flat it has been filed flat (to be restamped)

I personally have about 10 of these engines so I have seen a few of these serial numbers.
Last edit: 21 Oct 2022 05:08 by Injected.

More
21 Oct 2022 05:14 #875802 by Moosey

This is another one and tuned out to be genuine kawasaki from the 70s