Goodbye crank bearings

More
13 Apr 2022 23:23 #865391 by Wookie58

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
14 Apr 2022 09:31 #865421 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Goodbye crank bearings
So the crank bearings are good? How do you know? The rod bolts are stretch bolts and should be replaced if loosened. On the 1000's you measure side play but I don't know if that applies here. The bearings are color coded for size. I'd be sure the big end is good before going any further. 
Steve

More
14 Apr 2022 14:04 #865433 by Elfarm98648
Replied by Elfarm98648 on topic Goodbye crank bearings
Wether or not it makes sense I’m pretty sure my issue was this and not a bad rod or crank bearing. I don’t want to open up a new can of worms by not being able to put everything back together. So I’m gonna reassemble it, with the new parts, and see what the results are. 

More
14 Apr 2022 14:06 #865434 by DFIGPZ
Replied by DFIGPZ on topic Goodbye crank bearings

Wether or not it makes sense I’m pretty sure my issue was this and not a bad rod or crank bearing. I don’t want to open up a new can of worms by not being able to put everything back together. So I’m gonna reassemble it, with the new parts, and see what the results are. 
should at least pull pan and inspect 

1984 750 Turbo
The following user(s) said Thank You: SWest

More
14 Apr 2022 14:34 #865436 by Elfarm98648
Alright, I like that. Not completely disassembling everything. I’ll order a pan gasket and open it up before it goes back in the bike. 
The following user(s) said Thank You: SWest

More
14 Apr 2022 15:00 #865439 by Elfarm98648
$30.13 later, it should be here next week. I may have it all reassembled, and cleaned up by next weekend if all the parts come in when they’re supposed to. 

More
17 Apr 2022 21:44 #865643 by Elfarm98648
All parts are in, just have to run get them from the post office, grab some small things like gasket sealer for the head gasket and cam cover gasket and a new oil filter and she will be back together before I know it! 

More
18 Apr 2022 15:47 #865702 by Elfarm98648
Welp, changing everything over resulted in 2 parts broken and one Oring that refuses to seal. However everything is torqued timed and waiting on the liquid gasket to dry before it’s put back in the frame. 

I can’t seem to find a replacement Oring for the fuel level sensor. I’ve read some users have used a gas proof permeatex or equivalent, however I plan on changing tanks to one without dents and in better shape than mine soon so I’d rather avoid that. 

More
18 Apr 2022 22:06 #865730 by Elfarm98648
Can I use a petcock base O ring for the fuel level sensor base o ring?

More
21 Apr 2022 16:25 #865906 by Elfarm98648
Against my better judgement, I got some fuel resistant gasket maker and installed the fuel sensor, no leaks now. 
finished reinstalling everything on the bike, timed my DYNA ignition system, and played with the manual tensioner while spinning the engine over (without spark plugs) to move all new oil to the head and surroundings. Put the carbs back in and turned the gas on. And 2/4 were leaking out of the overflow, and the o rings around the fuel tee must have gone bad because it’s leaking bad. Got it fired up and warmed up enough to do my 2nd torque of the head nuts. Fixed the leak out of the tachometer so all is well on the oil leak front for now. 

More
21 Apr 2022 16:25 #865907 by Elfarm98648
Where can I get the O-rings for the fuel tee? This is the last thing I need before it is rideable. 

More
21 Apr 2022 21:07 #865919 by Elfarm98648
Welp, since no one has offered any help lately?, I will update everyone on my solution. A #5 o ring from Home Depot solved my fuel Tee leak. Now the bike runs good, measures fuel, doesn’t leak oil, and no more knock.

I will give me advise for anyone who orders a manual tensioner, the idle screw blocks any kind of ratchet from reaching the bolt, however it is possible to slip a ratcheting wrench back there and that does the trick. Well worth the $14 to toss in my tool roll and not have to worry about again. 
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wookie58