Goodbye crank bearings

More
21 Apr 2022 23:53 #865926 by Wookie58
Replied by Wookie58 on topic Goodbye crank bearings
Well done Elfarm, great to hear that you grabbed it by the scruff of the neck and kicked some arse. I hope you feel a sense of satisfaction in having completed this job without having to resort to a "donor" (I guess it cost a lot less as well  )
The following user(s) said Thank You: Elfarm98648

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Apr 2022 22:27 #866038 by Elfarm98648
Replied by Elfarm98648 on topic Goodbye crank bearings
Welp, post op update:
70 miles in and all mechanical functions have been restored. No knocking or odd sounds. Just a happy motor. The head gasket does not appear to be leaking any oil. The new seals in the tachometer drive have stopped that oil leak. It fires up and idles better now than before. Still needs some pilot adjustment and a vacuum sync but overall I am very happy it is running. 
The bad:
After replacing the O-Rings on the fuel Tee, the choke spring is failing to close the choke flap when the lever is turned. I have to resort to closing it manually, opening the choke is no issue as it is all mechanical with the CV34s. also the throttle is sticking at wide open. I have determined it is not due to the cable but I have not looked further into the matter as it is currently 80° here in GA this weekend so I don’t want to break anything and lose this beautiful opportunity. 
The valve cover is also leaking oil, enough to pool in the spark plug valley. Not enough to ruin the engine but enough to ruin the nice clean look it had when I reinstalled it. 
The fuel level sensor is much taller than the old one that didn’t work, it is about an inch and half taller than the original. I installed it with gasket maker to seal it and it is holding up, however the light comes on at 70 miles. I chose to fill up when it stopped being intermittent and it only took 1.8 gallons. On a 3.5 gallon tank I would expect it to come on at 2.5-3 gallons. 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.