Goodbye crank bearings

More
04 Apr 2022 11:30 #864891 by Elfarm98648
Replied by Elfarm98648 on topic Goodbye crank bearings
Well Wook, I completely understand what you’re saying and I do agree. It probably is not the most intelligent thing to do but it is my main source of transportation. I’ll definitely be rebuilding the old one and if the donor takes a dump then I’ll have this one to swap in. The main driving factor in my purchase of the 40yr old donor is time, I don’t currently have the time or space to rebuild one. I’ll definitely be updating this thread as I progress in the tear down and diagnosis of the current bad motor. Besides with the full donor bike I have plenty  of parts that I can salvage if needed. Carbs, coils, brake rotors, brake pads, and various other parts. 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Apr 2022 11:54 #864895 by Wookie58
Replied by Wookie58 on topic Goodbye crank bearings
Makes complete sense, only you know your circumstances and what meets your needs best. Fingers crossed you get lucky and the donors a peach 

More
04 Apr 2022 12:51 #864899 by DFIGPZ
Replied by DFIGPZ on topic Goodbye crank bearings
I have a 750 crankshaft if needed ?

1984 750 Turbo

More
10 Apr 2022 14:33 #865214 by Elfarm98648
Welp, we just went to check it out and it was NOT what was described on the ad. It had been dropped, the plastics were obviously rattlecanned, it was leaking oil, handlebars were bent and the thing that made me pass was the clutch would whine when the lever was pulled in. I didn’t think it was worth it with no title and all it’s issues, even as a parts bike. I guess I’ll spend tomorrow tearing down the original motor and seeing exactly what bearings went bad. 

I plan on pulling the motor but I want to ask, can I get to the crank bearings and rod bearings without pulling the head and jugs and just splitting the bottom case off? 

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
More
10 Apr 2022 15:48 #865215 by hardrockminer
Replied by hardrockminer on topic Goodbye crank bearings
Yes, you can do that if you pull the engine out of the frame.  There are two sets of bolts to remove.  One set is M6 and most of them are on the top of the engine, but six of them are on the bottom at the front.  There are also 10 M8 bolts that you can get at from the bottom.  You will also have to remove the clutch and primary shaft, which is probably best done with the engine in the frame but can be done out of the frame as well.

You can also split the cases with the engine in the frame, but you would have to remove the head and barrals.  I just did that job a month ago on a 650.

I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.

More
10 Apr 2022 15:50 #865216 by ghostdive
Replied by ghostdive on topic Goodbye crank bearings
Yes. Just need to remove the oil filter and the covers (generator/timing/clutch/sprocket). I have some spare stuff so I may be able to help if things need replacing. 

1982 KZ750 Spectre - 6 speed swap, BS34s, 18" rear wheel

2001 ZX-6R

More
10 Apr 2022 21:17 #865217 by Elfarm98648
Alright, sounds good then, I’ll see what I can get done this week, since I’ll be removing the clutch and stator cover. I’ll order those gaskets and and get them coming my way. Would you all recommend changing the old Phillips head screws to a stainless steel Allen head cap screw? I think that would be easier to remove than these old Phillips heads. 

one question about gaskets for you. What’s the difference between Z1 part (201-0112) and (11009-1984), other than $20.49? Is the vesrah gasket one I need to avoid?

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
More
11 Apr 2022 04:21 #865224 by hardrockminer
Replied by hardrockminer on topic Goodbye crank bearings
The old screws are not Phillips.  They are JIS.  You should get some JIS screwdrivers (See Z1 Enterprises) or you will mangle the heads if you use a Phillips screwdriver on them.

Vesrah are acceptable in my opinion.

I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.

More
11 Apr 2022 17:06 #865248 by Elfarm98648
Question for you all, what part would fail if my cam chain tensioner was not working properly? Obviously it may or may not explain the metal in the oil but when removing the tensioner, it did not spring out when removed. In fact it did not move period. I had it depressed and locked in when I was doing my valve clearance job, could it have not sprung back, providing no tension, and messing something else up, other the oil pressure issue?

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
11 Apr 2022 17:15 #865250 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Goodbye crank bearings
You may have found your knocking issue. The metal shavings may be from the chain wearing on the block. I'd pull the head to see. 
Steve

More
11 Apr 2022 18:10 #865253 by Elfarm98648
Welp, maybe… if I’m gonna do it, I’ll probably have to replace the head gasket. And possibly anything else that got damaged. 

what head gasket would you all recommend? The ones I’ve seen on Z1 are $100+

I’ll pull the head tonight but I’ve already got the motor out. 

More
11 Apr 2022 18:13 #865254 by Elfarm98648
Where would the cam chain wear if the tensioner wasn’t working? Presumably it took off quite a bit of material but I’m not sure where to look.