Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Cylinder Head Removal - first time and could use some guidance 05 May 2022 04:29 #866646

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1022
It looks like about 2 degrees advanced.  Should not be a problem.  Have you run the engine?
I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Cylinder Head Removal - first time and could use some guidance 05 May 2022 14:31 #866660

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1899

How far does 1 tooth move the mark (sometimes if everything is lined up perfectly as you tension the chain the cams rotate) which can leave you a tooth out 
Don´t know the 650 specs but on Z1/KZ900
15 tooth on crank and 30 tooth on cam sproket = gear ratio 2 to 1 = 48 degrees (2 tooth) on crank are 12 degrees (1 tooth) on cam sprocket.
As hardrockminer supposed, your TDC is 5 degrees advance on the crank = 2-3 degrees on cam = no problem.
Without a degree wheel and adjustable cam sprockets you can´t adjust the cam chain wear/stretch.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jekyllman

Last edit: by Scirocco.

Cylinder Head Removal - first time and could use some guidance 05 May 2022 16:45 #866668

• jekyllman
  • jekyllman's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 9
Thanks everyone. Just eyeballing it the difference equates to around 1/4 tooth on the cam sprocket, at most. I haven't fired it up yet. Hopefully this weekend. Just got the valve cover back on last night.
1980 KZ650F1 - 10k miles (see photo)
1981 KZ305 CSR - 10k miles (didn't have the heart to customize this one, will stay original)