Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Cylinder Head Removal - first time and could use some guidance 09 Feb 2022 04:40 #862031

• KZJOE900
  • Admin
  • Thank you received: 443
Here is what I did on my KZ900. Would be a bit different for yours, but same idea. Basically, precautions to not cause any damage or drop things (debris, etc) inside the engine. Multi part videos.

[
Current project 76 KZ900 (This was a Vetter model)
76 KZ900
81 XJ550H SECA (Current Project)
82 XJ550R SECA
Past:
86 FJ1200
74 Z1900
72 CB450

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by KZJOE900.

Cylinder Head Removal - first time and could use some guidance 09 Feb 2022 16:17 #862067

• jekyllman
  • jekyllman's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 9
Thanks for the responses. Looks like I need to find a gasket AND a couple O rings, unless those can be reused for some reason. Seems somewhat straightforward; just hate the idea that there's this much required to change out what really ends up being 1 bad valve seal...maybe I'm just lazy.
1980 KZ650F1 - 10k miles (see photo)
1981 KZ305 CSR - 10k miles (didn't have the heart to customize this one, will stay original)

Cylinder Head Removal - first time and could use some guidance 09 Feb 2022 19:28 #862072

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2671
Not everyone agrees on this part, but if pulling the head I'd also remove the cylinder.  A base gasket is less than $20 so why temp fate?  This will allow you to decarbon the pistons properly and judge cylinder wear by measuring the parts.  Oh, and ONLY use OEM Kawasaki gaskets.  Aftermarket gaskets are a crap shoot at best.  It's not worth the risk in my opinion.  

Cylinder Head Removal - first time and could use some guidance 26 Mar 2022 11:33 #864327

• jekyllman
  • User
Ok I’m finally getting some time to work on this again. I’m stupid or something but I’m really struggling getting the head back due to these stupid little rubber dampers on the tensioner guide sprocket. They seem too big for the space I’ve got to work with! Anyone struggle with getting the head to sit down on the block and not get stuck on these rubber dampers??
1981 KZ305 CSR - 10k miles (didn't have the heart to customize this one, will stay original)

Cylinder Head Removal - first time and could use some guidance 26 Mar 2022 12:49 #864332

• jekyllman
  • User
aaaand I’ve now dropped two of these rubber dampers into the engine. About to sell this bike 

Cylinder Head Removal - first time and could use some guidance 26 Mar 2022 15:25 #864335

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1021
The little rubber things should be glued to the flats on either side of the sprocket axle.  That way they don't come off.  If you lost a couple in the engine you can probably fish them out by dropping your oil pan.  You can probably leave them there without any problems if you have some spares, but I would take the time to pull them out.
I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.

Cylinder Head Removal - first time and could use some guidance 26 Mar 2022 17:50 #864345

• DOHC
  • Sustaining Member
  • Those Doe-Hawks really go!
  • Thank you received: 503

aaaand I’ve now dropped two of these rubber dampers into the engine. About to sell this bike 
someone recently mentioned that those little dampers have a bit of steel under the rubber, so you may be able to fish then out with a magnet on a stick.  I haven't tried it myself.
'78 Z1-R in blue , '78 Z1-R in black, '78 Z1-R in pieces
My dad's '74 Z1
'00 ZRX1100

Last edit: by DOHC.

Cylinder Head Removal - first time and could use some guidance 05 Apr 2022 22:34 #865022

• jekyllman
  • User
So I found them at the bottom of the oil pan but the oil pan would not come off. So I bought more new ones. I glued them in and just finished installing the cylinder head. Now I’ve got more issues. These stupid little things are killing me. Any advice here would be hugely appreciated. 

I placed the cylinder head on the studs and checked to see if the rear chain guide sprocket spun freely and it did. I just finished tightening down all the caps and to verify everything was good I reached in and tried to spin the sprocket again. This time it won’t spin. I can move it a cm if I really force it but there’s tons of resistance. I loosened the four center caps and it freed it up a little but there’s still quite a bit of resistance. I don’t know why and I don’t know what to do. My guess is the rubber dampers were squished against the sprocket after torquing everything down and preventing it from spinning. The stupid thing is that I actually cut the dampers down a little so they were flush with the sides and yet they’re still causing problems. Anyone have any thoughts on what I’m doing wrong here? 

Here’s a photo of the sprocket while the head is torqued. You can see the rubber dampers being squeezed out.  

Attachments:

Last edit: by Street Fighter LTD.

Cylinder Head Removal - first time and could use some guidance 06 Apr 2022 00:51 #865025

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1895
It looks like the rubber dampers are squished to much and press against the cam chain idler. There two diffrent sizes of rubber damper!

the small rubber damper

the big rubber damper

Attachments:

Cylinder Head Removal - first time and could use some guidance 06 Apr 2022 04:24 #865031

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
I'm going on memory here, although I just did this job a couple of weeks ago to my 78 650.  I think the sprocket rollers (#7 & 8 in the diagram) are different.  One goes in the front and the other in the back.  Perhaps you have them switched?
I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.

Cylinder Head Removal - first time and could use some guidance 06 Apr 2022 12:53 #865043

• jekyllman
  • User
So the #9 dampers are what I bought and installed. I even trimmed them so they’d fit better. Maybe I need to trim further?? Maybe the eyeball test is failing me here but #9 looks bigger than #12

Last edit: by jekyllman.

Cylinder Head Removal - first time and could use some guidance 06 Apr 2022 16:29 #865059

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
You need the smaller ones.  They should say "Up" on one side.