Top End Time?

• daveo
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
More
10 Aug 2018 06:06 #788602 by daveo
Replied by daveo on topic Top End Time?

Scirocco wrote: You have a oil carbon build up or a little fat air/fuel condition on yoúr spark plug colour.
How much oil your engine need on 1000 Km or 600 miles???

A rough guess, the engine averages 1 to 1.5 quarts in six hundred miles, maybe more depending on how hard I push it.

1982 KZ1100-A2

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• daveo
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
More
10 Aug 2018 06:26 #788605 by daveo

SWest wrote: Looks fat to me. What main jets are you using. Remember, get the mains right then go to the air jets, the needles then the pilots. If you're giving it too much gas, the rings can "wash out" and you'll start burning oil. Not long ago you had that coveted tan color. :unsure:
Steve

Coveted but elusive the tan color be.
RS34 carbs have 125 Main, 17.5 Pilot, .7 Air Jets, and needle clips in third slot.

Thank you.

:)

1982 KZ1100-A2

More
10 Aug 2018 16:38 - 10 Aug 2018 16:43 #788638 by VTEC
Replied by VTEC on topic Top End Time?
A quart in 600 miles is excessive. Top end, or keep topping off if it runs goid and doesn't smoke.

My original engine burned a lot . When it started pinging due to carbon on top of the pistons I blasted it with top engine cleaner, beat the shot out of it, and no more ping until next time around.

KZ1000-K2
ZRX1100
XR400R
Last edit: 10 Aug 2018 16:43 by VTEC.

• daveo
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
More
10 Aug 2018 17:03 - 10 Aug 2018 17:26 #788639 by daveo

VTEC wrote: A quart in 600 miles is excessive. Top end, or keep topping off if it runs goid and doesn't smoke.

My original engine burned a lot . When it started pinging due to carbon on top of the pistons I blasted it with top engine cleaner, beat the shot out of it, and no more ping until next time around.

Runs great! I have accumulated everything needed to ring it, including a crosshatch honed cylinder block and four sets of Std. size OEM Kawasaki rings.
Be a shame to take it down with the valves and cams working together so-well. Could change the oil and filter one more time...
Makes sense to "ride the piss out of it" some more, as SWest used to say. :laugh:

On the other hand, maybe it's a good time to sell it to an experienced rider who can appreciate a great handling powerhouse that "looks sexy too".

Pretty Ride Daveo Thanks for sharing !!!!

And who said shaft drives arent sexy ?? :ohmy:
They were wrong ;)
I do believe we have another great BOTM, What say you ??
Street Fighter LTD
Dave B) B) B)

Thanks again Dave!

1982 KZ1100-A2

Attachments:
Last edit: 10 Aug 2018 17:26 by daveo.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Street Fighter LTD

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
10 Aug 2018 18:45 #788644 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic Top End Time?
Dave
Last time I had a oil consumption problem similar to yours it was old ( hardened ) valve guide seals.
Any way of checking if it smokes when hard on the throttle and lesser smoke when cruising at steady rpm ?
Have a bud follow you and watch your exhaust.
Not saying this is it for sure , but seals will do this too.
Dave

PS Still love the looks of your scoot

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

• daveo
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
More
16 Aug 2018 08:53 - 16 Aug 2018 08:58 #789016 by daveo

SWest wrote: Looks fat to me. What main jets are you using. Remember, get the mains right then go to the air jets, the needles then the pilots. If you're giving it too much gas, the rings can "wash out" and you'll start burning oil. Not long ago you had that coveted tan color. :unsure:
Steve

Just realized the 17.5 Pilot Jets that I thought were installed were actually 20.0's. So the 17.5 are in there now along with 0.7 air jets, and a brand new set of plugs.
Runs way better, and that highly-coveted color is starting to come back again. :)

Thanks again Steve

1982 KZ1100-A2

Attachments:
Last edit: 16 Aug 2018 08:58 by daveo.

More
16 Aug 2018 09:24 - 16 Aug 2018 09:26 #789022 by old_kaw
Replied by old_kaw on topic Top End Time?

daveo wrote:
On the other hand, maybe it's a good time to sell it to an experienced rider who can appreciate a great handling powerhouse that "looks sexy too".

Pretty Ride Daveo Thanks for sharing !!!!

And who said shaft drives arent sexy ?? :ohmy:
They were wrong ;)

Thanks again Dave!

Now Dave, you know as well as I do, that selling that bike is not the right thing to do. Anyone that spends that much time and energy to make something that nice will go absolutely nuts without it. Take Steve's advice! Keep dumping oil in it and keep on riding it. :-)

Absolutely GORGEOUS bike, BTW.

1981 Kawasaki Kz1000K1
Located in the Saint Louis, Missouri Area.
Last edit: 16 Aug 2018 09:26 by old_kaw. Reason: more deep thoughts by jack handy :-)

More
16 Aug 2018 09:42 - 16 Aug 2018 09:43 #789023 by old_kaw
Replied by old_kaw on topic Top End Time?

daveo wrote: It runs cool, revs up quick, and loves the upper rpm range. I'm addicted to zinging around at 6-7k as much and often as possible, which may explain where the oil is going.

O YEAH! My bike is like a caged animal trying to get out.. It LOVES the upper revs! Or perhaps, I should say it thrives! It does use a little bit of oil, but nothing excessive, no noticeable smoking on startup or elsewhere whatsoever. The upper revs contribute to oil consumption. A small price to pay for the therapy value.

I always gets comments at the gas pumps on how good of shape my bike is in for it's age.. much like me. :-)

1981 Kawasaki Kz1000K1
Located in the Saint Louis, Missouri Area.
Attachments:
Last edit: 16 Aug 2018 09:43 by old_kaw.

• daveo
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
More
16 Aug 2018 10:14 - 16 Aug 2018 10:18 #789024 by daveo
So much great advice...
At this rate, I may just have to take it with me.

:lol:

1982 KZ1100-A2

Last edit: 16 Aug 2018 10:18 by daveo.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SWest, old_kaw

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
16 Aug 2018 12:43 #789035 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Top End Time?

daveo wrote:

Steve

Just realized the 17.5 Pilot Jets that I thought were installed were actually 20.0's. So the 17.5 are in there now along with 0.7 air jets, and a brand new set of plugs.
Runs way better, and that highly-coveted color is starting to come back again. :)

Thanks again Steve

That's what I'm looking for on mine. Had it once but was stepping over a stage or two. I think I'm on the right track now.
Steve
Attachments:

More
16 Aug 2018 17:53 #789071 by zukdave
Replied by zukdave on topic Top End Time?
Carb jetting WILL NOT cause it to use oil if it's using oil it's valve seal's or ring's

1980 KZ650 F1
ZX750A1 motor.
Wiseco 810cc kit.
Zukiworks racing ported head.
VM 29 smooth bore's.
Dyna 2000 Ign. w/Dyna mini coil's
APE cylinder stud's and nut's.
APE valve spring's.
APE Track King clutch.
V/H KZ1000 sidewinder.
3.5x18 laced to a KZ1000 disk hub.
150/60/18 Shinko 006 Podium.
63" wheel base.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
16 Aug 2018 18:20 #789075 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Top End Time?
Now the carb jetting is correct or close to it the base of the plugs are cleaning up meaning the oil burning is being reduced maybe even stopping.
Steve
Attachments: