Top end tear down?

More
08 Jul 2016 07:46 - 08 Jul 2016 07:49 #734236 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Top end tear down?
The photo in your avatar suggests the bike is modified with at least an exhaust system. What other mods have been performed on the bike? Pod air filters maybe? My point is by modifying the bike you have changed the engines needs in terms of the carb jetting. Have you rejetted the carbs and if so, what did you do? Have you properly cleaned the carbs by completely breaking them down, replacing the old and hard O-rings? The '77 VM carbs have a pilot fuel screw on the bottom, and adjusting such a screw open more than 1 turn will result in a very rich condition just off idle. The tips of those screws are very pointy too and often people turn in the screws and jam the tip into the body so tight that they break off. A full review of the carbs is in order unless you can positively speak to these issues mentioned here.
Last edit: 08 Jul 2016 07:49 by Nessism.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Jul 2016 07:54 #734238 by Defend132
Replied by Defend132 on topic Top end tear down?
Thanks for the tips, will take note.

More
08 Jul 2016 07:58 #734239 by Nessism
BTW, cycleorings.com sells a VM O-ring kit. Don't waste money on "carb kits" which are full of inferior aftermarket carb parts compared to the original Mikuni parts. If you need rejetting anyway that makes "carb kits" doubly a waste of money.

More
08 Jul 2016 08:02 #734240 by Defend132
The Bike had a 4 into 1 pipe and pods on it when I bought it. The guy that I bought it from said he had a guy " do the carb work" I guess he meant rejetted. I tried to contact him but no dice. The carbs were cleaned and all the rubber rings seemed good. I adjusted the pilot screw out 1 and a half turns. The pilot screw is on the engine side of the Float bowl, does that mean to screw in for richness, out for leaness. Thanks

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
More
08 Jul 2016 10:50 #734248 by missionkz
Replied by missionkz on topic Top end tear down?

swest wrote: No, out for rich, in for lean.
Steve
jetsrus.com/carburetor/a_carburetor_parts_selection.html

I thought it was the other way around when the mixture screw was on the engine side...?

Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1
2016 Triumph T120 Bonneville
Far North East Metro Denver Colorado

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
08 Jul 2016 11:05 #734250 by SWest

More
08 Jul 2016 11:28 #734253 by zed1015
Replied by zed1015 on topic Top end tear down?

missionkz wrote:

swest wrote: No, out for rich, in for lean.
Steve
jetsrus.com/carburetor/a_carburetor_parts_selection.html

I thought it was the other way around when the mixture screw was on the engine side...?

If screw is on the side towards the mouth of the carb it's an air screw and in for rich, out for lean.
If directly under the carb close to the engine side of the float bowl then its a fuel mixture screw and out for rich, in for lean.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

More
08 Jul 2016 11:47 - 08 Jul 2016 11:51 #734256 by Nessism
According to the parts fishe the pilot screw is underneath the carb, not on the side. The underside screw is a FUEL screw, when the screw is on the side of the carb it's an AIR screw.

Realize that this pilot adjustment is just for minor tweaking of the mixture at idle and just off. It is NOT for adjusting mixture through the majority of the bikes running range.

Since the bike has pod filter and a header it's critical to pull the carbs and take an inventory of all the jets (pilot and main, as well as check the needle position), and then adjust as needed. Simply trying to tweak the pilot screw to fix the bike is not advised since you are just guessing. Get the jet numbers and then go from there.
Last edit: 08 Jul 2016 11:51 by Nessism.

More
08 Jul 2016 12:30 #734257 by Defend132
I`m pulling the carbs this weekend, will let you know what the numbers are.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
08 Jul 2016 12:58 #734259 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Top end tear down?
The air screw only works in the lower parts of the adjustments. Past a certain point, it becomes ineffective. The fuel screw is a little better. Both depend on the correct size pilot jets.
Steve

More
08 Jul 2016 19:24 #734322 by Defend132
The main jet is 117.5 and the pilot is 17.5. the needle is on notch 3.