Low compression, oil out the breather. kz900/1000

More
29 Jun 2016 10:26 #733272 by 650ed
[quote="MadShad" post=733253..................................The clutch let go right at 6k rpm, started slipping.
This is my 4th Kawasaki, and I've put clutch springs in ALL of them. :unsure:[/quote]

That does not seem normal to me. Exactly what oil are you using in the engine? Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
29 Jun 2016 11:04 #733279 by SWest
It's somebody else's work and has sat for a while. I'd inspect the plates, clean and oil them.
Steve

More
29 Jun 2016 11:17 #733284 by MadShad
Rotella conventional 15 40 in most, 10w30 in one.

I have friction disks on the shelf if I need them, I've just used ebc springs in all of them for $10 a set, seems to work great.

All of my bikes were purchased either non running or running poorly, most have set for years. This one had been sitting for at least 5 years.

All had what looked like oem springs.

Shelbyville, Indiana. '80 KZ1000
No more of that talk or I'll put the leeches on you, understand?

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
29 Jun 2016 11:25 #733285 by SWest

More
01 Jul 2016 11:40 #733513 by MadShad
All I can say is that the new clutch springs are in and the problem is solved. Put 180 miles on it yesterday driving to a jap bike junkyard. Picked up an oil cooler to play with and scored a 140mph speedo to replace my 80mph one.
Break in miles are done, oil and filter is changed, ignition timing is set, carbs are rejetted, needles are adjusted.

The bike runs great, no leaks and the bike pulls hard!
Very happy with the result!

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
More
01 Jul 2016 12:09 #733519 by loudhvx
Great to hear the motor is alive! B)

With all of the clutch slippage you've experienced, are you sure you are not overfilling the oil? That always makes my bikes slip. But as long as there is a good size air bubble at the top of the sight glass, when on the wheels (not center stand), vertical, I usually have no problems.

More
01 Jul 2016 12:26 #733525 by MadShad
Yep since this is my 4th Kaw with slipping clutched I've exhausted all other options, overfilled oil, wrong oil, adjustment (both method s depending on actuator type), friction disk thickness, steel plate orientation, polishing fingers on clutch basket and steel plates, dragging clutch cable, clean and relube actuator,
The whole enchilada....

Springs fixed it 4 out of 4 times.

More
01 Jul 2016 14:08 #733535 by KZB2 650
Good to hear ..... I'm a strong believer on replacing clutch springs..... I could feel the difference in strength by pressing on the new ones then the old when I replaced mine and like you no more slip.

1978 KZ650 b-2
700cc Wiseco kit 10 to 1.
1980 KZ750 cam, ape springs, stock clutch/ Barnett springs.
Vance and Hines Header w/ comp baffle and Ape pods, Dyna S and green coils, copper wires.
29MM smooth bores W/ 17.5 pilots, 0-6s and 117.5 main
16/42 gearing X ring chain and alum rear JT sprocket.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
01 Jul 2016 14:21 #733536 by SWest
I can't comment on the smaller fours but My clutch always was to stiff no matter what I did. Never had a slip issue. Finally copied Dave's mod Broke cables once a year or so. I think I solved that problem.
Steve
. kzrider.com/forum/2-engine/601798-clutch-actuator-mod

More
02 Jul 2016 08:38 #733599 by loudhvx

MadShad wrote: Yep since this is my 4th Kaw with slipping clutched I've exhausted all other options, overfilled oil, wrong oil, adjustment (both method s depending on actuator type), friction disk thickness, steel plate orientation, polishing fingers on clutch basket and steel plates, dragging clutch cable, clean and relube actuator,
The whole enchilada....

Springs fixed it 4 out of 4 times.

Ok, well as long as it works! Sorry, you've probably detailed all of that before... I post on a lot of similar threads :S

Can't wait to see the finished pics!

More
02 Jul 2016 08:41 #733600 by loudhvx

swest wrote: I can't comment on the smaller fours but My clutch always was to stiff no matter what I did. Never had a slip issue. Finally copied Dave's mod Broke cables once a year or so. I think I solved that problem.
Steve
. kzrider.com/forum/2-engine/601798-clutch-actuator-mod

The 550 clutches are very light from the factory. If it's stock and stiff, it's usually the cable getting some drag. The factory cable is much better than the aftermarket ones I tried.

I have an actuator taken apart and ready to weld/drill after seeing your post. Just to experiment with.... like I said, the 550 clutches are pretty light already.