Tips for ring installation

• Yetanotherkzrider
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
18 May 2016 07:15 #727185 by Yetanotherkzrider
Tips for ring installation was created by Yetanotherkzrider
After discovering a broken cam chain guide in my 1000 I'll be replacing all of my rollers, guides, idlers, etc this weekend, and since I have to pull the cylinder block off I'll have to replace the rings. Does anyone who has done this themselves have any tips for me? I'll likely be tackling this alone. Also wondering if it would be safe to clean up any mating surfaces with a brass brush before putting the new gaskets in.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 May 2016 07:19 #727188 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Tips for ring installation
The gasket surfaces need to be perfectly clean and free of old gasket remnants and gouges/scratches in the gasket surfaces. If a brass brush helps you achieve this then fine. I've be very careful to not scrub too hard though because brass is harder than aluminum and you can damage the gasket surface.

Some piston ring compressors will make your job easier. There are lots of home recipes to make some on the cheap so you may want to try a google search.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Yetanotherkzrider

• Yetanotherkzrider
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
18 May 2016 07:27 #727192 by Yetanotherkzrider
Replied by Yetanotherkzrider on topic Tips for ring installation
Getting the old base gasket off is probably my biggest issue right now. I swear it's harder than the aluminum at this point.

More
18 May 2016 08:21 #727204 by Nessism
The old formula Permatex gasket remover worked well. The new "low VOC formula" is not as effective though. I used to spray it in a cup and then dab it on with an acid brush, then wait about 20 mins for it to soften the gasket. It would soften the top layer of the gasket which could then be scraped, but it won't go all the way through the gasket. You need to dab and wait, scrape, dab and wait some more, but eventually the gasket would come off. If you can find the old stuff it's worth the purchase. The low VOC stuff is junk however.

More
18 May 2016 09:02 #727210 by zed1015
Replied by zed1015 on topic Tips for ring installation
Just removing the block doesn't mean you have to replace the rings.
If you have done lots of miles and you have started using oil etc due to ring wear then yes! It would be a good idea to replace them while the motor is apart for other reasons.
You will need the bores plateau honing to remove any glazing then gap the rings before fitting to the pistons.
Top and second rings need gapping and should have markings on them which denote which side goes up and the oil rings usually have no orientation and don't need gapping especially if of the 3 piece variety.
Copper plumbing pipe flattened at one end makes an efficient scraper for gaskets and won't damage the aluminium surface,

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

More
18 May 2016 09:16 #727213 by rrsmsw9999
Replied by rrsmsw9999 on topic Tips for ring installation
Its a bit tedious for sure to deal with the base gasket. I opted to a medium stiffness 3M scothbrite type drill wheel. You do need to be carful as the studs and awkward with the drill. The pad is soft enough to use on the aluminum. Don't use the hard one. Also a fair amount of hand scraping in nooks and crannies. R

1980 KZ 1000E2
Crashed 6/2016

1980 KZ550A
Sold 3/2016

• Yetanotherkzrider
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
18 May 2016 10:27 #727228 by Yetanotherkzrider
Never had a problem with burning oil or low compression, so I might just save the rings for later. I'm having the cylinders honed today, and I'll try the copper pipe if all else fails. Thanks.

More
18 May 2016 12:00 #727246 by zed1015
Replied by zed1015 on topic Tips for ring installation

Yetanotherkzrider wrote: Never had a problem with burning oil or low compression, so I might just save the rings for later. I'm having the cylinders honed today, and I'll try the copper pipe if all else fails. Thanks.

If you are having the bores honed then you will have to fit new rings also.
You can't do one without the other and vice versa.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

More
18 May 2016 12:27 #727249 by KZB2 650
Replied by KZB2 650 on topic Tips for ring installation
Did you drop the pan? Rags can keep most of the gasket and junk out but I dropped too much in and flushed the hell out of the motor through the removed pan and by flipping it over a few times. Used spray brake cleaner, wd 40, a little gas and maybe some carb cleaner although kerosene would be safer by far than the gas...... after 65,000 miles I bet there is a ton of sludge in there. I replaced the screen on the oil pump too but that might not be needed on yours.

1978 KZ650 b-2
700cc Wiseco kit 10 to 1.
1980 KZ750 cam, ape springs, stock clutch/ Barnett springs.
Vance and Hines Header w/ comp baffle and Ape pods, Dyna S and green coils, copper wires.
29MM smooth bores W/ 17.5 pilots, 0-6s and 117.5 main
16/42 gearing X ring chain and alum rear JT sprocket.

More
18 May 2016 12:53 #727254 by Nessism

zed1015 wrote:

Yetanotherkzrider wrote: Never had a problem with burning oil or low compression, so I might just save the rings for later. I'm having the cylinders honed today, and I'll try the copper pipe if all else fails. Thanks.

If you are having the bores honed then you will have to fit new rings also.
You can't do one without the other and vice versa.

I know guys that routinely bottle brush hone cylinders when reusing the old rings. It's one of those debate points issues. Not as bad as engine oil and breakin technique though.

• Yetanotherkzrider
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
18 May 2016 13:17 #727261 by Yetanotherkzrider
Yeah. Just went through a can of permatex and didn't even put a dent in the gasket.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
18 May 2016 14:10 #727273 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Tips for ring installation
I scrape it. A heat gun helps. Put in the new rings. I flush the engine with diesel.
Steve