Startup After Top-End Rebuild.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
05 Jul 2015 18:00 #679560 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Startup After Top-End Rebuild.
You put more stress on your machine in a minute than most of us do in a year. :woohoo:
Been following your build. Good work. B)
Steve

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Jul 2015 18:12 #679563 by zukdave
Replied by zukdave on topic Startup After Top-End Rebuild.
Hey it's not stressed the rev. limiters set at 10,500 :woohoo: :woohoo:

1980 KZ650 F1
ZX750A1 motor.
Wiseco 810cc kit.
Zukiworks racing ported head.
VM 29 smooth bore's.
Dyna 2000 Ign. w/Dyna mini coil's
APE cylinder stud's and nut's.
APE valve spring's.
APE Track King clutch.
V/H KZ1000 sidewinder.
3.5x18 laced to a KZ1000 disk hub.
150/60/18 Shinko 006 Podium.
63" wheel base.

• daveo
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
More
05 Jul 2015 19:18 #679571 by daveo
Replied by daveo on topic Startup After Top-End Rebuild.

zukdave wrote: Hey it's not stressed the rev. limiters set at 10,500 :woohoo: :woohoo:

Well, I mixed all the suggestions together and stirred the pot about 2000 miles ago now...
The only possibly-adverse thing I've noticed are four nicely blued pipes coming out of the engine, though it does run cool while flying like a bat out of hell! :woohoo:

1982 KZ1100-A2

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
05 Jul 2015 21:04 #679579 by SWest
Mine wants to go that high but I shift at 9/9.5 when I try to make a light. :evil: Then I'm listening for funny noises. It happens quick. :whistle:
Yeah I do pretty much the same thing. It's not WOT all the time. B)
Steve

• Tyrell Corp
  • User
  • "You were made as well as we could make you"
More
06 Jul 2015 06:57 #679625 by Tyrell Corp
Replied by Tyrell Corp on topic Startup After Top-End Rebuild.
Odd that one of the most used inventions in the world; the piston internal combustion engine that is now 150 years old and we have made billions of them, why such controversy and difference of opinions over such an obvious and vital question? There must be thousands of man- years of accumulated knowledge from motor manufacturer's lab tests done already.

Perhaps we should avoid oil and break in threads and find it easier to agree on sex, politics and religion...or Harleys even :laugh:

1980 Gpz550 D1, 1981 GPz550 D1. 1982 GPz750R1. 1983 z1000R R2. all four aces

More
06 Jul 2015 07:39 #679633 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Startup After Top-End Rebuild.

Tyrell Corp wrote: Odd that one of the most used inventions in the world; the piston internal combustion engine that is now 150 years old and we have made billions of them, why such controversy and difference of opinions over such an obvious and vital question? There must be thousands of man- years of accumulated knowledge from motor manufacturer's lab tests done already.

Perhaps we should avoid oil and break in threads and find it easier to agree on sex, politics and religion...or Harleys even :laugh:

I worked for a major Japanese OEM auto company for 21 years and I can assure you, the engines are NOT babied when the factory runs them early in their life. The engine is first run on a dyno where copious amounts of throttle are applied, then the first start up for the car includes a roller run test where again, heavy throttle is used.

I'm of the belief that an easy break-in is not beneficial for parts like the rings, but on a fresh bore they typically seal up fine regardless. On a used cylinder, with some bore wear mixed in, and where the bottom end is already run-in, it makes sense to use the "firm" break-in methodology in my view. Of course someone else will always disagree so there you have it.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
06 Jul 2015 07:42 #679634 by SWest
The idea is to break it in for all riding conditions. I wouldn't expect a Hog to REV out to 10.5 without blowing up as I wouldn't expect my Z1 to putt along at 1200 RPM. Different worlds.
Steve