Static Timing KZ1000A ?

• kzdcw
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 77' KZ1000A
More
14 Oct 2014 17:06 #650667 by kzdcw
Replied by kzdcw on topic Static Timing KZ1000A ?
The test light that I have only has 1 clip wire. I'm assuming that that clip end goes to Ground on the Battery. The Pointer end of the probe goes to or touches the points?

Attachment 1c035f7a-176e-44a3-b1d0-f567901049a3.jpg not found

Now when doing this, are the Green and Black Clips ( leads that go to the coils ) disconnected or left connected to the Points? Ed, you say to clip to the Leaf Spring ? I'm not sure I'm following this ?

I understand turning the 17mm nut Clockwise until the 1 & 4 F Mark lines up with Pointer. Will the Test Light come on or go off ?

77' KZ1000A
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Oct 2014 19:40 - 14 Oct 2014 19:43 #650682 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Static Timing KZ1000A ?
Assuming the test light has its own power source (like a small battery) for the LED try the following. If it doesn't have its own power source, you'll need to find its instructions. This is why I use a simple analog multimeter, using that makes it easy-peasy.

1. Unplug the coil wires.
2. Attach the alligator clip to the engine case (ground).
3. Hold the point against the leaf spring on one set of points.

If the points are closed the light should come on. Put the "F" mark at the timing pointer on the engine. As you turn the backplate at some point the light will go off. This indicates the instant that the points opened and broke continuity across the test light. When you find the exact point at which the light goes off tighten the backplate and run the same test against the other set of points. If the other set of points don't break continuity at the "F" mark you may need to adjust the individual adjuster shown by Patton. Don't forget to reconnect the coil wires when done. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Last edit: 14 Oct 2014 19:43 by 650ed.

More
14 Oct 2014 19:58 #650685 by ezrider714
Replied by ezrider714 on topic Static Timing KZ1000A ?
kzdcw
The light should go out, you want it right on the edge of being on/ going out. Points are beginning to open, so no continuity.
Patton instructions are much closer to the correct way than Ed's write up??? Don't know if 1977's had a different points set-up or what, but the picture provided by Patton is exactly what is under the cover of my 1978 KZ
And to adjust the timing you move the points mt'g plate's(loosen the 2 screws labeled timing in Patton's picture) position on the back plate(the one with 3 screws). You must do this for both sets of points.Using the 1 and 4 F mark and 2 and 3 F mark. If you only move the back plate to adjust 1 set of points you are moving the other set out of position.

You don't have to connect to the battery, just a ground, such as the frame tube or the block/head... the other end needs to touch the points,the leaf spring(the piece of spring steel that starts at the wire connection point) makes a good location to clip on to.. Stick the pointer end against/into the block/head or the frame tube,anything that gives you a ground.

I have never disconnected ANY wires when setting the timing, unclear why Ed recommends such. :unsure: When the bike is running, which is when you want the correct timing, are any wires disconnected??

This procedure is spelled out fairly clearly in any type of manual for a particular bike that I have ever used. If you don't have some type of manual I would highly recommend getting ahold of one... :ohmy:

78 KZ650SR Mine since 79
4-1 Mac Jet Hot coated since mid 80's
Dyna Coils
Saddlebags (I ain't skeered of going nowhere) :)

More
14 Oct 2014 20:20 #650688 by 650ed
No, when the bike is running of course the coil wires must be hooked up - otherwise it wouldn't run. I disconnect them when doing static timing only, otherwise continuity may not break. Trust me, this happens sometimes and not only on my bike. If you never had this happen I understand why it sounds odd. Another approach to prevent the problem is to put a piece of cardboard between the set of points not being adjusted. I find disconnecting the wires easier.

Regarding moving the backplate. Some bikes do NOT have the individual adjusters for each set of points other than the dwell adjustment (see image below), so the backplate is the only timing adjustment that can be made. Even those that have the individual adjusters can be adjusted the same way once the individual adjusters are set so they both are timed correctly. Ed

Attachment PointsLaterType.jpg not found

Attachments:

More
14 Oct 2014 20:57 - 14 Oct 2014 21:01 #650692 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Static Timing KZ1000A ?
KZRider's FILEBASE doesn't yet include a FSM for the KZ1000, but the FILEBASE does include the FSM for the KZ900.

I believe the KZ1000 timing procedure is same as shown in the FSM for KZ900.

Here's a link to download the FSM for KZ900:
Click here > www.kzrider.com/filebase/search/finish/1...asaki-service-manual .

The section on ignition timing starts on page 14.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 14 Oct 2014 21:01 by Patton.

• kzdcw
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 77' KZ1000A
More
14 Oct 2014 22:06 #650697 by kzdcw
Besides an inexpensive Analog multimeter, What type of LED Test Light would you guys recommend to have? If the test light does not have an internal power source, then I'm assuming you have to use the Battery's Ground instead of just the frame or engine?

77' KZ1000A

More
15 Oct 2014 09:09 - 15 Oct 2014 09:25 #650718 by Patton
The analog multimeter may already include an ohmmeter function.
Look for the symbol. " " is the symbol that stands for ohms.

After setting the gap on both sets of points by using a thickness (feeler) gauge, could then use an ohmmeter (instead of a test light) to see when the contacts open (which breaks continuity between them) as the F mark aligns with the case mark (static timing is with engine not running). Remember to set both the 1-4 F mark and the 2-3 F mark. This should result in very close to correct timing.

When the contacts are touching each other, the ohmmeter needle should swing all the way over showing continuity (connection) between the contacts.

When the contacts separate so they aren't touching each other, the ohmmeter needle should not move from its beginning position or should return to its beginning position, showing no continuity (no connection) between the contacts.

Next is dynamic timing,which is done with a timing light while the engine is running. Inexpensive strobe-type timing lights are readily available.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 15 Oct 2014 09:25 by Patton.

• kzdcw
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 77' KZ1000A
More
15 Oct 2014 17:59 #650753 by kzdcw
For the life on Me, I Can Not seem to be able to do the Static Timing adjustment either thru the FSM or from the procedures of all the Forum Tech's ???

First I tried the Digital Multimeter I have. A Harbor freight special but always has worked in the Past. Set the meter on Ohms, doesn't matter what scale I use. One side of the Meter to Chassis Ground, the other side to the Points spring being tested either 2/3 Right Side or 1/4 Left Side. F mark lined up with the Pointer. It doesn't matter either loosening the 2 timing screws and moving the plate one direction or the other, the meter doesn't register an open. Loosening the 3 screws for the back plate and rotating it either clockwise or counterclockwise, doesn't change anything either.

Moving on the the Test Light I have, internal bulb. The LED Test Light I had borrowed didn't work at
all. The test light I have requires that you run from the battery + terminal to light up. Clipped the only one lead it has to the + Batt. post ( Battery fully charged ) and the pointer end to the Spring of the Points. Again nothing changed by loosening the 2 screws for the timing plate or 3 screws for the back plate and moving them in either direction. The LIght never went off.

I don't understand this, the F marks are lined up correctly. But by just looking at the points and how the rubbing block of them is close to the timing advancer but not contacting it, I can't see how the points would open by moving either the timing plate or back plate? Apparently they don't. But I'm sure not getting anything with my Meter or Light?

Unplugging the Black/Green 2 -wire harness from the points to the coils made no difference at all?

Yeah, I might be using inferior tools both bought at Harbor freight, but should at least give me something? About ready to give up and respect all of the advice that has been given, but I don't know what else to do?

77' KZ1000A

More
15 Oct 2014 18:17 - 15 Oct 2014 18:17 #650754 by Patton
The heel of the points rides on a cam. If the heel is worn down, the points might not be opening.

There should be a 17 mm "fake" nut that can be hand-turned to rotate the crankshaft.
Don't use the smaller bolt head to rotate the crankshaft.
Use only the 17 mm nut.

When hand-rotating the crankshaft, should be able to see when the heel rides up on the cam and also see the points open (watch the contacts separate.)

Are the points opening?

As the crankshaft is rotated further, do the points close as the heel rides off the cam?

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:
Last edit: 15 Oct 2014 18:17 by Patton.

• kzdcw
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 77' KZ1000A
More
15 Oct 2014 18:24 #650756 by kzdcw
Patton, The Points are opening and closing when I turn the 17mm nut. I performed the Points Gap adjustment prior to starting the Static Timing adjustment procedure.

77' KZ1000A

More
15 Oct 2014 18:41 #650757 by 650ed
If I understand what you're saying the meter shows continuity even when the points are open and with the green and black wires unplugged at the coils.

If that is the case, it is possible that the connectors at the points are touching the backplate OR the wires are not connected correctly at the points, OR the little insulators on the points are not installed correctly.

Can you provide some clear, close-up photos showing where the wires are connected to the points? Ed

• kzdcw
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 77' KZ1000A
More
15 Oct 2014 18:52 #650759 by kzdcw
Ed, The Meter does Not show continuity when the points are open and the Test Light goes Off when the points are opened as well. Just went to garage and made sure of the results ?

77' KZ1000A