Cylinder head removal and valve question

More
22 Mar 2013 00:01 - 22 Mar 2013 00:06 #578079 by LarryC
Replied by LarryC on topic Cylinder head removal and valve question

Spenzher wrote:

LarryC wrote:

Spenzher wrote:

LarryC wrote: Whatever you do...DO NOT use a drill to lap the valves. I saw some knuckle head video on Youtube where a guy was doing that. He used more lapping compound on a single valve than I use in a year :unsure:

Ultimately, in everything you do...ask yourself one important question. Is the effort and cost going to justify the end result? Which brings to mind the next point to consider...

"Only a farmer can start with $hit and end up with something good" ;)

yeesh that doesn't sound good. Learning is my justification, and the satisfaction of fixing something I messed up. Money wise I'm...justifying... :whistle: but ultimately I want to see this through. Also its my only ride right now lol Nice quote :laugh:

If your seats are still good [which for your purposes they may well be] you can probably slide by lapping in some good, used valves. Post some pics of the seats.

Ouch my seats are very dirty...I tried to use some carb cleaner and didn't do much

Attachment WP_20130319_016.jpg not found

I'm not an advocate of band aid approaches...but when you're broke....well, that's a different story. I downloaded and blew up your photo. You can lap that seat in and it will work fine for you if the valve is good yet.

You could soak the head in simple green and using a brush, clean out the chambers an the carbon from the seat. Lap the valve in. Install new seals and put it back together. Also an SOS pad will safely remove the carbon from the seat.

Larry C.
Last edit: 22 Mar 2013 00:06 by LarryC.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Spenzher

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Mar 2013 23:31 - 22 Mar 2013 23:49 #578244 by nads.com
Replied by nads.com on topic Cylinder head removal and valve question

Motor Head wrote: Completely up to you as its your bike. If you want a Bandaid or a rebuild. If you Lap the Valves and don't get carried away and end up with to wide of seat faces, it will be better than what you have know. What do the Valves look like? The Exhaust is where the heat and Combustion crud causes more wear.
Silicone in your plug hole? Whats that there for? Silicone for the insert? Hope not, that will fail.

Nads Wrote: "Valve don't need refaced often"
They need to be refaced nearly every time, or replaced.
We just pulled an Audi A4 1.8 Turbo head w/200Kmi, In valves were like new, Ex was shot, guides and valves.

I simply meant most valves I've seen that are run in within temp range not so close to nuclear melt down. I've done heads with all exhaust burnt as well.
those heads run to high temps over normal. Lean conditions not enough water run through the head
etc.

If seats are pounded in and indistict angle margins are not present, they need cut again.

Generally the valve is not in need of refacind to ensure longevity of any kind.

The average valve of the average head it could be said, is not in need of facing.

Average heads do not have problems incorperated into them/ heat sroks/ fire burning valves.

But just every day environment where valve faces thrive unduly.
Last edit: 22 Mar 2013 23:49 by nads.com.

More
23 Mar 2013 22:15 #578418 by Spenzher
Replied by Spenzher on topic Cylinder head removal and valve question
Alright so while I'm waiting on the valve I've been doing some thinking about taking a look at the crankshaft because I was hearing some weird sounds previously, maybe a bearing or something. I mean I'm pretty close already. Just got the cylinder block off. The shavings weren't past the first ring ,but they had squeezed down below the top of the piston. I think that definitely could have scratched up some walls.

'83 KZ750N Shaft