Cylinder head removal and valve question

More
11 Mar 2013 17:52 - 11 Mar 2013 17:52 #576545 by Spenzher
Replied by Spenzher on topic Cylinder head removal and valve question

bountyhunter wrote: ]My old 750 was fouling plugs every ten minutes before I overhauled it. Removed the plugs hot at least 100 times with no problem to put in the spare set so I could get home.....

Hmm but wouldn't the heated aluminum at least make the plug harder to get out?

I've got the manual and the procedure seems pretty straight forward. I'm going to try and make a simple tool today using a regular clamp and some wood/socket or something to get out the valve. I'm not really sure what I'm going to do about the piston yet as I don't know if taking piston rings out is easy or not. Still researching everything as I go. I may just get the cylinder head off and clean it... :whistle:

'83 KZ750N Shaft
Last edit: 11 Mar 2013 17:52 by Spenzher.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Mar 2013 17:56 - 11 Mar 2013 17:59 #576546 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Cylinder head removal and valve question

Spenzher wrote:

bountyhunter wrote: ]My old 750 was fouling plugs every ten minutes before I overhauled it. Removed the plugs hot at least 100 times with no problem to put in the spare set so I could get home.....

Hmm but wouldn't the heated aluminum at least make the plug harder to get out?....

Heated aluminum should make the plug easier to get out, as the aluminum engine head expands more with heat than does the steel spark plug.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 11 Mar 2013 17:59 by Patton.

More
11 Mar 2013 18:07 #576547 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Cylinder head removal and valve question
On a related side note, a short length of rubber tubing that fits snugly onto top of a spark plug is a handy item to carry along in the bike's on-board tool kit.

Makes it easy (at roadside or anywhere else) to lift a loosened plug from it's recessed location inside the hot engine head. Without burning fingers.

And also makes it easy to get the spark plug started correctly in the threads when replacing a plug in a hot engine head. Again, without burning fingers.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
The following user(s) said Thank You: bluezbike

More
11 Mar 2013 19:37 #576564 by Spenzher

3cav84a wrote: My advice is to use your digital camera and take a whole heap of pictures if this is the first time your are taking off the head and maybe the cylinder block, very useful for assembling later on.

I was thinking of doing that but there isn't too many pieces to put it all back together/I have the manual so I decided not to spend the time taking pictures.

Patton wrote: On a related side note, a short length of rubber tubing that fits snugly onto top of a spark plug is a handy item to carry along in the bike's on-board tool kit.

Makes it easy (at roadside or anywhere else) to lift a loosened plug from it's recessed location inside the hot engine head. Without burning fingers.

And also makes it easy to get the spark plug started correctly in the threads when replacing a plug in a hot engine head. Again, without burning fingers.

Cool I'll have to remember that

'83 KZ750N Shaft

More
12 Mar 2013 02:27 #576627 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Cylinder head removal and valve question

Spenzher wrote:

Hmm but wouldn't the heated aluminum at least make the plug harder to get out?

Never had a problem. I just carried a short clicker torque wrench set to the correct setting and replaced the plugs everytime they fouled.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
12 Mar 2013 02:28 #576628 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Cylinder head removal and valve question

Patton wrote: On a related side note, a short length of rubber tubing that fits snugly onto top of a spark plug is a handy item to carry along in the bike's on-board tool kit.

Another good reason to own a twin....... :laugh:

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
13 Mar 2013 23:20 #576869 by Spenzher
Welp, I definitely hit the intake valve. This may be a dumb question, but is it salvageable or am I better off getting a new one? Pictures are below.

Attachment WP_20130313_020.jpg not found

Attachment WP_20130313_027.jpg not found

Attachment WP_20130313_030.jpg not found

Attachment WP_20130313_026.jpg not found

'83 KZ750N Shaft
Attachments:

More
13 Mar 2013 23:25 #576871 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Cylinder head removal and valve question
Replace it,
Someone around here probably has a few good ones laying around.

KD9JUR

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
13 Mar 2013 23:26 #576872 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Cylinder head removal and valve question
Looks like youre into the point where it seals against the seat,id say bite the bullet and atleast have a used valve ground for it and see how it seals against the seat B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

More
14 Mar 2013 05:53 #576907 by Spenzher

steell wrote: Replace it,
Someone around here probably has a few good ones laying around.

Is there any chance for revival? I could buy a new one but I don't know the procedure for getting it ready to seat.

wireman wrote: Looks like youre into the point where it seals against the seat,id say bite the bullet and atleast have a used valve ground for it and see how it seals against the seat B)

Like find a used valve and lap it?

So far this is what I've found. I wasn't able to find any used ones on ebay.

'83 KZ750N Shaft

• donthaveakawman
  • Visitor
15 Mar 2013 05:09 #577012 by donthaveakawman
Replied by donthaveakawman on topic Cylinder head removal and valve question
I am a little confused on how the valve got messed up while the spark plug was being helicoiled.

More
15 Mar 2013 06:18 #577015 by Spenzher

donthaveakawman wrote: I am a little confused on how the valve got messed up while the spark plug was being helicoiled.

I believe the intake valve was still slightly open when I tapped bigger threads for the helicoil.

'83 KZ750N Shaft