Cylinder head removal and valve question

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
16 Mar 2013 20:36 #577265 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Cylinder head removal and valve question
When you get the valve id have it just "touched up" to make its straight and has consistant angle ground in it,then try lapping it into existing seat and see what kind of pattern you get. :)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Mar 2013 20:36 - 16 Mar 2013 20:37 #577266 by Spenzher
Replied by Spenzher on topic Cylinder head removal and valve question

LarryC wrote: Whatever you do...DO NOT use a drill to lap the valves. I saw some knuckle head video on Youtube where a guy was doing that. He used more lapping compound on a single valve than I use in a year :unsure:

Ultimately, in everything you do...ask yourself one important question. Is the effort and cost going to justify the end result? Which brings to mind the next point to consider...

"Only a farmer can start with $hit and end up with something good" ;)

yeesh that doesn't sound good. Learning is my justification, and the satisfaction of fixing something I messed up. Money wise I'm...justifying... :whistle: but ultimately I want to see this through. Also its my only ride right now lol Nice quote :laugh:

'83 KZ750N Shaft
Last edit: 16 Mar 2013 20:37 by Spenzher.

• donthaveakawman
  • Visitor
16 Mar 2013 21:15 #577277 by donthaveakawman
Replied by donthaveakawman on topic Cylinder head removal and valve question

LarryC wrote: Whatever you do...DO NOT use a drill to lap the valves. I saw some knuckle head video on Youtube where a guy was doing that. He used more lapping compound on a single valve than I use in a year :unsure:

Ultimately, in everything you do...ask yourself one important question. Is the effort and cost going to justify the end result? Which brings to mind the next point to consider...

there is also the chance of messing up the guides and lifter hole. thanks for the input I wouldn't want whats his name to ruin his engine on account of me.

More
17 Mar 2013 09:08 #577331 by LarryC
Replied by LarryC on topic Cylinder head removal and valve question

Spenzher wrote:

yeesh that doesn't sound good. Learning is my justification, and the satisfaction of fixing something I messed up. Money wise I'm...justifying... :whistle: but ultimately I want to see this through. Also its my only ride right now lol Nice quote :laugh:

If your seats are still good [which for your purposes they may well be] you can probably slide by lapping in some good, used valves. Post some pics of the seats.

Larry C.

More
20 Mar 2013 01:12 #577789 by Spenzher

LarryC wrote:

Spenzher wrote:

If your seats are still good [which for your purposes they may well be] you can probably slide by lapping in some good, used valves. Post some pics of the seats.

Ouch my seats are very dirty...I tried to use some carb cleaner and didn't do much

Attachment WP_20130319_016.jpg not found

'83 KZ750N Shaft
Attachments:

• donthaveakawman
  • Visitor
20 Mar 2013 16:27 #577869 by donthaveakawman
Maybe a stiff nylon brush with some engine degreaser would soften that up.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
20 Mar 2013 23:26 #577920 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Cylinder head removal and valve question
Those are "Pits" in the valve seat. Thats just the Intake, have a look at the Exhaust, thats bound to be much worse. You need to take that head to a qualified machine shop, and be prepared to spend some money to make it right.
What is that hanging inside the spark plug hole? The installation break away tab from a Heli-coil?

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
21 Mar 2013 02:12 - 21 Mar 2013 02:48 #577950 by nads.com
Replied by nads.com on topic Cylinder head removal and valve question
I've lapped all valves on heads I work on that need it.
Using a drill. Just forward rev. Most valves take a short while to form a
perfect margin. Several turns back and forth. After taking my head to a
machine shop for cutting in the past, I cut my own seats with a homade
pilot and ruby red stones on an old soux and ko lee. The valve you do
youself lap in real quick. So you get done sooner and they all hold pressure
inside the port. I've never had any problems. Lots of compression though.
Never had a diff among cylinders.

Like said, if the seats are nicked, or guides replaced, must cut.
Valve don't need refaced often
Last edit: 21 Mar 2013 02:48 by nads.com.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Spenzher

More
21 Mar 2013 03:14 - 21 Mar 2013 03:16 #577956 by Spenzher

Motor Head wrote: Those are "Pits" in the valve seat. Thats just the Intake, have a look at the Exhaust, thats bound to be much worse. You need to take that head to a qualified machine shop, and be prepared to spend some money to make it right.
What is that hanging inside the spark plug hole? The installation break away tab from a Heli-coil?

Craaaappers. Do you know of any cheap alternative? I read it wasn't too expensive to recut seals. I wouldn't know yet though. Yeah the inside has some residual silicone and the thread comes out a wee bit.

Also, and I know it's not something I should do, but could I lap the valves and get away without recutting and just sacrificing some compression? They were all within the 140's-150psi when I checked before I mucked up the valve.

'83 KZ750N Shaft
Last edit: 21 Mar 2013 03:16 by Spenzher.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
21 Mar 2013 09:19 - 21 Mar 2013 09:52 #577972 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Cylinder head removal and valve question
Completely up to you as its your bike. If you want a Bandaid or a rebuild. If you Lap the Valves and don't get carried away and end up with to wide of seat faces, it will be better than what you have know. What do the Valves look like? The Exhaust is where the heat and Combustion crud causes more wear.
Silicone in your plug hole? Whats that there for? Silicone for the insert? Hope not, that will fail.

Nads Wrote: "Valve don't need refaced often"
They need to be refaced nearly every time, or replaced.
We just pulled an Audi A4 1.8 Turbo head w/200Kmi, In valves were like new, Ex was shot, guides and valves.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...
Last edit: 21 Mar 2013 09:52 by Motor Head.

• donthaveakawman
  • Visitor
21 Mar 2013 14:21 #577997 by donthaveakawman
how are you supposed to get that valve back in there? under bucket shims and all.

More
21 Mar 2013 22:29 #578071 by Spenzher

Motor Head wrote: Completely up to you as its your bike. If you want a Bandaid or a rebuild. If you Lap the Valves and don't get carried away and end up with to wide of seat faces, it will be better than what you have know. What do the Valves look like? The Exhaust is where the heat and Combustion crud causes more wear.
Silicone in your plug hole? Whats that there for? Silicone for the insert? Hope not, that will fail.

Nads Wrote: "Valve don't need refaced often"
They need to be refaced nearly every time, or replaced.
We just pulled an Audi A4 1.8 Turbo head w/200Kmi, In valves were like new, Ex was shot, guides and valves.

I'll take a look at the exhaust when I get supplies in. And ya, its like some hi-temp copper sealant, it was said to use on the instructions for installing.

'83 KZ750N Shaft