Cylinder head removal and valve question

More
09 Mar 2013 21:32 #576241 by Spenzher
So, long story short I had to rethread a sparkplug hole using sav-a-thread, basically a helicoil. In doing so I'm pretty sure I bent a valve because I'm getting zero compression now. Literally none. Already checked to see the gauge was working fine. When I was working on rethreading I was being really careless and anxious and I didn't check the crankshaft to see if the valves were in their seated position, I just looked in and said okay. I'm about to take it apart soon, but it's possible to get the head off without removing the engine first right? Has anyone installed new valves before and have any words of advice?

'83 KZ750N Shaft

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
09 Mar 2013 21:47 #576244 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Cylinder head removal and valve question
How many did you ding?
If it were me Id go ahead and check all the guides and do new seals while youre in there,Id also have all the other seats and valve faces checked while youre in there :)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

More
09 Mar 2013 21:54 - 09 Mar 2013 21:55 #576247 by Spenzher
Replied by Spenzher on topic Cylinder head removal and valve question

wireman wrote: How many did you ding?
If it were me Id go ahead and check all the guides and do new seals while youre in there,Id also have all the other seats and valve faces checked while youre in there :)

I'm not sure yet, all I know right now is that I'm getting zero compression in the one cylinder I worked with, and before it was working 100%. Hell, even with the torn spark plug threads I was getting 80psi. I suppose its perfect timing to learn how to check them so why not :)

'83 KZ750N Shaft
Last edit: 09 Mar 2013 21:55 by Spenzher.

More
10 Mar 2013 21:33 #576430 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Cylinder head removal and valve question
You can absolutely take the head off without pulling the motor and the cylinder too if need be.

I would definitely get the head done when it's off, air cooled engines wear the valves and seals quickly. Put in some VITON valve seals.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
The following user(s) said Thank You: Spenzher

More
10 Mar 2013 22:33 #576446 by Handcannon
Replied by Handcannon on topic Cylinder head removal and valve question
Upgraded my kz900 with out any problems. I bought a manual first which helped a lot. I also took a lot of pictures as I went along. Funny how soon you forget where or how something goes when you get ready to put it back.

More
10 Mar 2013 23:08 #576449 by Spenzher

bountyhunter wrote: You can absolutely take the head off without pulling the motor and the cylinder too if need be.

I would definitely get the head done when it's off, air cooled engines wear the valves and seals quickly. Put in some VITON valve seals.

Great. I'm going to start removing the head today, wish me luck.

'83 KZ750N Shaft

More
11 Mar 2013 04:53 - 11 Mar 2013 04:54 #576472 by Spenzher
Ouch so I didn't quite get all the shavings out. I think I used too much grease when grinding out the new spark plug hole because there was like a mucus of little shavings around the piston and on top of the combustion chamber ceiling. So I tested the valves and the intake is the one leaking. I'm not sure if it is because of shavings or I actually bent it, but I'll find that out tomorrow when I get it out. I'm also getting worried that the piston rings might be carrying some grainy shavings, so the cylinder block may be coming out too. Next time if I did this again I think I would use less grease and allow the shavings to come through dry(er). I was reminded on another forum that I shouldn't have taken out the spark plug while the engine was warm.

'83 KZ750N Shaft
Last edit: 11 Mar 2013 04:54 by Spenzher.

More
11 Mar 2013 05:16 #576475 by bountyhunter

Spenzher wrote: Ouch so I didn't quite get all the shavings out. I think I used too much grease when grinding out the new spark plug hole because there was like a mucus of little shavings around the piston and on top of the combustion chamber ceiling. So I tested the valves and the intake is the one leaking. I'm not sure if it is because of shavings or I actually bent it, but I'll find that out tomorrow when I get it out. I'm also getting worried that the piston rings might be carrying some grainy shavings, so the cylinder block may be coming out too. Next time if I did this again I think I would use less grease and allow the shavings to come through dry(er). I was reminded on another forum that I shouldn't have taken out the spark plug while the engine was warm.

My old 750 was fouling plugs every ten minutes before I overhauled it. Removed the plugs hot at least 100 times with no problem to put in the spare set so I could get home.....

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
11 Mar 2013 05:17 #576476 by bountyhunter

Spenzher wrote: I'm also getting worried that the piston rings might be carrying some grainy shavings, so the cylinder block may be coming out too.

That would concern me too.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
11 Mar 2013 06:33 #576480 by 3cav84a
Replied by 3cav84a on topic Cylinder head removal and valve question
My advice is to use your digital camera and take a whole heap of pictures if this is the first time your are taking off the head and maybe the cylinder block, very useful for assembling later on.

1977 KZ 1000 A1

More
11 Mar 2013 16:50 #576536 by bountyhunter
My advice would be absolutely get the factory manual before starting anything.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
11 Mar 2013 17:20 #576542 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Cylinder head removal and valve question

Spenzher wrote:

wireman wrote: How many did you ding?

I'm not sure yet, all I know right now is that I'm getting zero compression in the one cylinder I worked with, and before it was working 100%. Hell, even with the torn spark plug threads I was getting 80psi. I suppose its perfect timing to learn how to check them so why not :)

I think of it in terms of youre already inside of the motor,why not check it all now and buy yourself many more years of trouble free service out of it. :)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.