Cylinder head removal and valve question

• donthaveakawman
  • Visitor
15 Mar 2013 16:27 #577072 by donthaveakawman
Replied by donthaveakawman on topic Cylinder head removal and valve question
did you use any grease?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Mar 2013 19:32 - 15 Mar 2013 19:33 #577094 by Spenzher
Replied by Spenzher on topic Cylinder head removal and valve question

donthaveakawman wrote: did you use any grease?

I used a ton of grease, probably too much. I ended up not being able to get out the aluminum chips that went into the combustion chamber because of the grease that clumped it into the corners.

'83 KZ750N Shaft
Last edit: 15 Mar 2013 19:33 by Spenzher.

More
15 Mar 2013 22:13 #577119 by LarryC
Replied by LarryC on topic Cylinder head removal and valve question
If you need KZ intake valves I have a box full. Pay shipping and I'll send you 4

Larry C.

• donthaveakawman
  • Visitor
15 Mar 2013 22:27 #577121 by donthaveakawman
what kind of tap did you use? the grease should catch all the shavings. supposedly it is better with the piston at tdc so the chips have less distance to go if there are any. that and the obvious at this point is the valves.

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
15 Mar 2013 22:28 #577122 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Cylinder head removal and valve question
Hes already got some coming B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

• donthaveakawman
  • Visitor
15 Mar 2013 22:34 #577123 by donthaveakawman
It might not be a bad idea, it may not work due to the design of the cylinder head. There is a technique for some heads to take a drill on the end of the valve with the valve covered in grease and spin it while it is in there to wear the seat so it seals better.

More
15 Mar 2013 23:02 - 15 Mar 2013 23:02 #577131 by Spenzher

wireman wrote: Hes already got some coming B)

;)

LarryC wrote: If you need KZ intake valves I have a box full. Pay shipping and I'll send you 4

Thank you for the offer :)

donthaveakawman wrote: what kind of tap did you use? the grease should catch all the shavings. supposedly it is better with the piston at tdc so the chips have less distance to go if there are any. that and the obvious at this point is the valves.

I used something called 'sav-a-thread' you find at autozone. Woulda worked had I not hit the intake valve and cleaned up a bit better :unsure:

donthaveakawman wrote: It might not be a bad idea, it may not work due to the design of the cylinder head. There is a technique for some heads to take a drill on the end of the valve with the valve covered in grease and spin it while it is in there to wear the seat so it seals better.

Are you talking about lapping the valve?

'83 KZ750N Shaft
Last edit: 15 Mar 2013 23:02 by Spenzher.

• donthaveakawman
  • Visitor
15 Mar 2013 23:15 #577133 by donthaveakawman

Spenzher wrote: I used something called 'sav-a-thread' you find at autozone. Woulda worked had I not hit the intake valve and cleaned up a bit better :unsure:

it is decidedly so.

More
16 Mar 2013 03:55 #577168 by Spenzher

donthaveakawman wrote:

Spenzher wrote: I used something called 'sav-a-thread' you find at autozone. Woulda worked had I not hit the intake valve and cleaned up a bit better :unsure:

it is decidedly so.

Ya I plan on doing that when I get the valve so it will seat better.

On another note, I've been researching and I'm hoping someone can chime in but I've read that I have to get the valve and valve seat machined to fit?? Seriously hoping not :(

'83 KZ750N Shaft

More
16 Mar 2013 08:01 - 16 Mar 2013 08:14 #577175 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Cylinder head removal and valve question
Would install the replacement valve, and determine whether it's properly sealing in its seat while the head is still on the workbench.

If not properly sealing on the workbench, it won't properly seal after reinstalling the head.

Don't go overboard with the lapping, as lapping isn't a substitute for grinding the valve and cutting the seat. Excessive lapping can be detrimental to the ideal fit desired between valve and seat.

With modern valve grinding and seat cutting equipment, lapping may not be required at all.

The FSM will explain how to achieve the desired valve/valve seat contact area (i.e., neither too wide nor too narrow).

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 16 Mar 2013 08:14 by Patton.

More
16 Mar 2013 18:58 - 16 Mar 2013 19:02 #577241 by LarryC
Replied by LarryC on topic Cylinder head removal and valve question
Whatever you do...DO NOT use a drill to lap the valves. I saw some knuckle head video on Youtube where a guy was doing that. He used more lapping compound on a single valve than I use in a year :unsure:

Ultimately, in everything you do...ask yourself one important question. Is the effort and cost going to justify the end result? Which brings to mind the next point to consider...

"Only a farmer can start with $hit and end up with something good" ;)

Larry C.
Last edit: 16 Mar 2013 19:02 by LarryC.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Street Fighter LTD

More
16 Mar 2013 20:31 - 16 Mar 2013 20:32 #577263 by Spenzher

Patton wrote: Would install the replacement valve, and determine whether it's properly sealing in its seat while the head is still on the workbench.

If not properly sealing on the workbench, it won't properly seal after reinstalling the head.

Don't go overboard with the lapping, as lapping isn't a substitute for grinding the valve and cutting the seat. Excessive lapping can be detrimental to the ideal fit desired between valve and seat.

With modern valve grinding and seat cutting equipment, lapping may not be required at all.

The FSM will explain how to achieve the desired valve/valve seat contact area (i.e., neither too wide nor too narrow).

Good Fortune! :)

okay. I think I can lap it properly but I could bring it to a machinist and have them cut a new seat right? What are my chances of doing this by myself successfully? How do I go about finding someone who can do that? I googled a little bit but didn't find any leads.

also, Flying Spaghetti Monster? wat

'83 KZ750N Shaft
Last edit: 16 Mar 2013 20:32 by Spenzher.