1983 KZ750, dead in the water

More
20 Oct 2012 19:19 #554892 by tv219
Replied by tv219 on topic 1983 KZ750, dead in the water
Ok, if anyone is still reading this....

Several things i have done since the last time I updated.
1. I replaced the solenoid with one from a local lawncare company. (I had to strip some wires and reattach to the solenoid)
2. I replaced some glass tube fuses, two 10A and one 20A.

The results,the engine is now cranking with the the starter button.
It has yet to crank over due to low battery.....I believe...

Here is whats going on now. For instance, I had the battery charged to 12.5 volts, when I turned the key to the ON position it dropped to around 11.73-78, when i pushed the start button it dropped to 9.8ish, sorry i dont remember. Something does seem right

Also it seems like the battery drops voltage quickly when just sitting.

Any clues on what to do? Thanks

Bensalem, PA

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Oct 2012 19:50 #554897 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic 1983 KZ750, dead in the water
1. Fully charge the battery, and then see if any local shops can load test it for you.

2. Check the large battery cables for internal corrosion; if they feel "Crunchy" when flexed, replace them. All of these need to be clean and tight for maximum current flow. Also where the Negative cable goes to the engine mounting bolt, it should be clean and tight.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
21 Oct 2012 17:55 #555006 by tv219
Okay, i fully charged the battery over night, registered around 13.7 when i took it off the charger and hour and a half later when i got it in the bike it was around 13.1 or 13 i believe. Through it in and still not turning completely over. Is there any way to test to see if the fuel system sucks, or needs replacement.? I'm thinking the engine isn't getting fuel?

Also, any suggestions on (cheapest) fuel, air and oil filters for this bike. I feel like I should now here to get them but don't want to buy the wrong ones. Thanks

Bensalem, PA

More
21 Oct 2012 18:05 #555007 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic 1983 KZ750, dead in the water
Battery is failing to hold a charge.
A proper load test will likely show it to be bad.
Many automotive supply stores, AutoZone, Walmart, etc., and repair shops, offer free battery load testing service.
Service fluid levels and charge overnight before load testing.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
22 Oct 2012 20:20 #555253 by tv219
Ok, so today I decided to believe that the battery was fine and did not get it load tested. I worked on my dirtbike before with one carb and found it to be very "gunked" up. I wanted to see if this engine was going to crank so I sprayed some starter fluid in the air take and low and behold it turned over for a few seconds! This leads me to believe its the carbs.
My next step i did was take the carbs home (4 of em!, ridiculous)I took it out as a whole and un screwed the drain plugs and let whatever the hell it was come out of there. Then proceeded to take of the float bowls and man was that horrendous! Im going to buy carb cleaner and clean them out, I scraped all that other shit out.
Now my question I cant seem to find where the main jets are, I want to clean all the jets as well but i dont see anything other than the idle screw on the outside of each carb. Any help?

Bensalem, PA
Attachments:

More
22 Oct 2012 21:13 #555266 by tv219
I was able to take off the floats on two of them tonight, i also removed the valve needle on both. Is where the needle is the main jet? Thanks

Bensalem, PA

More
23 Oct 2012 23:23 #555506 by BRABBIT04161991
Replied by BRABBIT04161991 on topic 1983 KZ750, dead in the water

Attachment kawasaki-1983-kz750-k1-ltd-belt-carburetor-parts_bigkar102319118_a0dd.gif not found

PART 92063
Attachments:

More
25 Oct 2012 18:05 #555734 by tv219
Ok, well im trying to figure out whether I should continue this in this thread. Im finding more problems ugh.

1. Im having problems with the gas tank, It leaks in different spots. It looks like theres a ball joint at the bottom of the petcock that is letting gas leak out in the on and prime position.
2. I believe I have to replace the fuel line from the pet cock to the fuel filter(which needs to be replaced) and the fuel filter to the main fuel port for the carb.

What I noticed... it didnt look like the fuel was going into the main port nor was the fuel filter filling up. With the way it is set up... the petcock is very close to the top of the left carburetor and the engine. (finger width away from either).

I had the engine run with the choke out for a few seconds and then died. There was an excessive amount of gas that leaked out during this.. and the filter look like it wasn't transfering any fuel!! :angry: :angry: ... I just wanna hear it run... to make myself feel better about it..

I dont even know if the carbs were getting anything because of this stupid petcock. What should I do? Lastly, (sorry for the different tasks) seems like every screw strips because of how bad this thing was stored. Makes me wanna punch the PO..

Bensalem, PA