cam chain to tight

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
13 Jun 2012 21:41 #528957 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic cam chain to tight
It sounds like maybe the cam chain tensioner has not reset properly, leaving the chain slack. Or possibly the guide for the tensioner, at the rear of the block, is miss installed? The front guide can only fit one way, and the guide in the valve cover can only go in one way, but does snap in to the cover. I'd get it onto the 1-4 timing mark again, then take out the tensioner wedge cap. Look at how far the wedge is in, how much spring is out when the cap is off. That's a good indication of how far the main plunger has traveled in ward.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Jun 2012 21:23 #530206 by dfinnegan71
Replied by dfinnegan71 on topic cam chain to tight
Hey Motorhead, I pulled the tensioner out this weekend and it seems to go in only one way. Meaning the wedged out part facing at about 2o'clock. It only goes like that. I mean, I pulled it out and when putting the wedge back in it kinda like finds it's way against the plunger wedge all by itself. Anyway, I think I will take another video of the bike running and see what you all think. It sounds like maybe a valve hitting the piston. Tap Tap tap tap tap tap tapp....

1981 GPZ 550 mild custom

• Motor Head
  • User
More
18 Jun 2012 23:08 #530235 by Motor Head
By all means, post up a video. but if it was "Hitting Valves" it would hit all or the intake or all of the exhaust, then stop running.
I meant that the Tensioner plunger depth in relation to the wedge. How far is the plunger pushing in? On the angled section of the end of the plunger, about where does hit the Wedge pieces angle. Mid point? Or off one end or the other. It just seemed from your first post, that the plunger didn't want to retract, to let the chain have slack, even though the wedge was lose/ removed. So I wonder if the plunger is not pushing on the guide properly. If the chain is still slack, it will make a rattling bunch of marbles sound, and possibly some slapping noises.
If you have a Knocking sound, are the camshaft bearing bolts tightened? But not over tightened to pull the threads. Some of the manuals say 12 foot pounds, which is too much, they will strip. It should be in Inch pounds, about 100-110.
Do you have a stethoscope? If not you can use a piece of hose held to your ear, not in it though.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.

More
18 Jun 2012 23:22 #530238 by dfinnegan71
Replied by dfinnegan71 on topic cam chain to tight
I think I tightened the camshaft bearing bolts to 90 inch pounds. I go that figure from the manual. I get what your asking now about the plunger. The wedge goes in almost all the way. About only 5 millimeters sticking out. A bunch of marbles in the dryer is a great way to describe what I am hearing. I think you are correct sir. I will give it another look tomorrow. Glad to hear you don't think it's hitting valves. I guess that makes sense, if it was hitting valves it would be hitting 4 at a time and stop running. Thanks for your advice.

1981 GPZ 550 mild custom

• Motor Head
  • User
More
19 Jun 2012 00:04 - 19 Jun 2012 10:39 #530245 by Motor Head
Any way the Upper Guide for the chain fell out of the valve cover? The K2 I have was like that when i got it, and it had bent the valves, that's how I got it cheap.

You can buy, or make a manual tensioner also, if everything else is correct.

Last edit: 19 Jun 2012 10:39 by Motor Head.