is my motor blown?

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
19 Sep 2010 11:06 - 19 Sep 2010 11:07 #399928 by TeK9iNe
Replied by TeK9iNe on topic is my motor blown?
Old Man Rock wrote:

OK, I'm taking a wild guess here so here goes...

I gave my bike to a guy off the web, I don't know him or his KZ experience but I trust him :blink: , he said my engine is going to cost big bucks but I don't have any money etc.... WTF already.....:S

Have you even opened the valve cover up to see if the damn camshaft/valves are even timed correctly?

How in the hell do you know he did a compression check correctly on your engine?

Have you performed a compression test or leak down test yourself?

We replied back for you on your other posts but no confirmation just more ramblings....

Seriously, your jumping all over the place like an ADD kid on crack....

You'll never get this bike right the way your going... One moment you had spark (not sure if it fired or not in all your postings) the next you don't... A guy came over and it had fire but now it doesn't.... Now the compression blah-blah-blah....

SLOW THE HELL DOWN..... Get an OEM manual, study it, not just read it... Go through the manual and learn your bikes internals, electrical, carbs etc.... Study the mechanical images & diagrams while looking at your engine components...

Then ask your questions where everyone will be more then happy to help you.

We informed you of this in your very first posting about what it takes to own/restore a 30 year old motorcycle... There is no cure all answer so you can just go ride other then go buy a Honda rebel...

The majority of us spent over 2 years studying, learning and restoring our KZ's... This is not a weekend project but one of research, patience, time and some $$$...

Pretty well said, could be a little softer :blink: .

Believe me when I say, have patience, because you're not riding this bike for a long time.
The maintenence required to get a big girl like this in safe rolling condition is tremendous, but do-able if you have the manual. AND PATIENCE.
Do things right.

GudLuk.

B)

Motorcycle Shop Owner/Operator

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Lucky to have rolled many old bikes through my doors ;)
Last edit: 19 Sep 2010 11:07 by TeK9iNe.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• eddiem
  • User
  • KZR FLAG RELAY CARRIER #63
More
19 Sep 2010 11:08 #399929 by eddiem
Replied by eddiem on topic is my motor blown?
part of the fun is working on these bikes
Tri don't be spankin on dave he might like it:laugh:

1976 Kz900
1978 Kz1000
1978 Z1r
1982 Kz1100 A2
1975 Z1b-900
1975 Z1b-900

• kz1k
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • You Cant Fix Stupid!
More
19 Sep 2010 11:11 - 19 Sep 2010 11:14 #399932 by kz1k
Replied by kz1k on topic is my motor blown?
Old Man Rock wrote:

OK, I'm taking a wild guess here so here goes...

I gave my bike to a guy off the web, I don't know him or his KZ experience but I trust him :blink: , he said my engine is going to cost big bucks but I don't have any money etc.... WTF already.....:S

Have you even opened the valve cover up to see if the damn camshaft/valves are even timed correctly?

How in the hell do you know he did a compression check correctly on your engine?

Have you performed a compression test or leak down test yourself?

We replied back for you on your other posts but no confirmation just more ramblings....

Seriously, your jumping all over the place like an ADD kid on crack....

You'll never get this bike right the way your going... One moment you had spark (not sure if it fired or not in all your postings) the next you don't... A guy came over and it had fire but now it doesn't.... Now the compression blah-blah-blah....

SLOW THE HELL DOWN..... Get an OEM manual, study it, not just read it... Go through the manual and learn your bikes internals, electrical, carbs etc.... Study the mechanical images & diagrams while looking at your engine components...

Then ask your questions where everyone will be more then happy to help you.

We informed you of this in your very first posting about what it takes to own/restore a 30 year old motorcycle... There is no cure all answer so you can just go ride other then go buy a Honda rebel...

The majority of us spent over 2 years studying, learning and restoring our KZ's... This is not a weekend project but one of research, patience, time and some $$$...

wow a basher!!!! listen man. i dont have a bike to ride now, so i am not missing anything by having this bike not running. who said i wanted it to run in a weekend? just because i am green dosnt mean give you the right to call me a crack head. im ganna stop now before i get banned! have a great day.

btw, its people like you that encourage people to just throw the fking bike in the trash. be easy!

1978 KZ1000A2

"JUST IN! A MAN WHO HOLDS THE WORLD RECORD FOR USING THE MOST DRUGS DIES TODAY. HE WAS WAS ATTACKED BY A PACK OF WILD DOGS HE THOUGHT HE SAW"

WHY FART AND WASTE IT, WHEN YOU CAN BURP AND TASTE IT?
Last edit: 19 Sep 2010 11:14 by kz1k.

• testarossa
  • User
  • Attack life, it's only trying to kill you.
More
19 Sep 2010 11:14 #399934 by testarossa
Replied by testarossa on topic is my motor blown?
Has the craigslist guy who told you the motor is blown, made you a merciful offer to buy the bike yet? I love to browse CL almost daily, but there are a LOT of scumbags lurking there.

1978 KZ1000 A2 Click--->Build Thread
2004 ZX-10R
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
2020 Harley Street Glide Special
Angola, IN

• kz1k
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • You Cant Fix Stupid!
More
19 Sep 2010 11:15 - 19 Sep 2010 11:15 #399936 by kz1k
testarossa wrote:

Has the craigslist guy who told you the motor is blown, made you a merciful offer to buy the bike yet? I love to browse CL almost daily, but there are a LOT of scumbags lurking there.

the craigslist guy said that even if i gave him my bike for free he wouldnt want it! because of compression.

1978 KZ1000A2

"JUST IN! A MAN WHO HOLDS THE WORLD RECORD FOR USING THE MOST DRUGS DIES TODAY. HE WAS WAS ATTACKED BY A PACK OF WILD DOGS HE THOUGHT HE SAW"

Last edit: 19 Sep 2010 11:15 by kz1k.

More
19 Sep 2010 11:15 #399937 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic is my motor blown?
pretty damn hard to get banned here,not enough barrels to go around! :woohoo:
wait till you get the bike back and we'll go over what youve got to work with and figure it out B)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

• kz1k
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • You Cant Fix Stupid!
More
19 Sep 2010 11:18 #399938 by kz1k
PLUMMEN wrote:

pretty damn hard to get banned here,not enough barrels to go around! :woohoo:
wait till you get the bike back and we'll go over what youve got to work with and figure it out B)

thank you plummen. im in no hurry guys. but since i am sitting on a historical bike.......i wanna keep it. it will be my first bike at bat.:)

1978 KZ1000A2

More
19 Sep 2010 11:19 #399939 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic is my motor blown?
Yeah coming from you Craig... that's classic...

Unlike some of you, I'm telling him the straight up facts where he needs to slow down and learn his bike...
Examine the situation with a manual and go through it line by line....

Case in point, Anyone want to bet this guy off the web will be more then happy to fix his KZ for him for a price?

Example 2: Dyna is bad... Well looking at those images, and in the replies provided there was no way in hell it was going to work that way.... And that was nicely provided mind you...

Example 3: He's upset cause it's a 903cc block but as Plumm noted, could easily have a 1015cc kit in it...

No one including me is expecting anyone here to have vast experience at the level some of our senior members do but Joe is going at it all wrong and he's not going to have a good experience learning his KZ...

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
19 Sep 2010 11:23 - 19 Sep 2010 11:25 #399942 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic is my motor blown?
good cause it's your KZ and as time will show it is gonna be just fine...you got the bike...you got the title..like you said on the phone you got the time...it is gonna be a bitchin project...

when you get it back ...maybe take a few weeks and just tinker on small tasks...get the wiring cleaner and zip tied to the frame....google image search different kz and z1 photos and those will link you to the site the photo was being used to describe an issue...find a good cheap factory manual on e-bay...i'll start looking around here i may have an extra...the more it looks the part the more motivating it is for me...i have seen less bikes get built for fun and not cost an arm and a leg...chances are you'll find another to help this build with anything it needs cheap.....

just because one guy spends...50 at the store to make burgers great at home...does not mean a great burger cost more than 5 dollars

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife
Last edit: 19 Sep 2010 11:25 by trianglelaguna.

• testarossa
  • User
  • Attack life, it's only trying to kill you.
More
19 Sep 2010 11:23 #399943 by testarossa
Replied by testarossa on topic is my motor blown?
kz1k wrote:

testarossa wrote:

the craigslist guy said that even if i gave him my bike for free he wouldnt want it! because of compression.

He might just know someone who would want to buy it cheap.

I agree with the others here. Get your bike back, pull the valve cover, and lets have a look around. Make sure that the timing marks line up, check the valve clearances, then test compression yourself. The condition of the parts under the valve cover will tell you a lot about that motor. Nice, clean, shiny, no scratches, no sludge, no rust, then you're probably good to go with some maintenance. But if it looks like two miles of bad road in there, then expect a total rebuild. Get a manual, and settle in, you might just enjoy it, and I guarantee that if you see it through, then you'll have a bond to that bike that you would never have if you just bought a new one.

1978 KZ1000 A2 Click--->Build Thread
2004 ZX-10R
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
2020 Harley Street Glide Special
Angola, IN

• kz1k
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • You Cant Fix Stupid!
More
19 Sep 2010 11:25 #399945 by kz1k
Old Man Rock wrote:

Yeah coming from you Craig... that's classic...

Unlike some of you, I'm telling him the straight up facts where he needs to slow down and learn his bike...
Examine the situation with a manual and go through it line by line....

Case in point, Anyone want to bet this guy off the web will be more then happy to fix his KZ for him for a price?

Example 2: Dyna is bad... Well looking at those images, and in the replies provided there was no way in hell it was going to work that way.... And that was nicely provided mind you...

Example 3: He's upset cause it's a 903cc block but as Plumm noted, could easily have a 1015cc kit in it...

No one including me is expecting anyone here to have vast experience at the level some of our senior members do but Joe is going at it all wrong and he's not going to have a good experience learning his KZ...

yeah, ill take that bet!!!!! he dosnt wanna touch it! man your a cocky fker. its ok, theres always a few in each forum. just the way you were raised. not your fault.

1978 KZ1000A2

• kz1k
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • You Cant Fix Stupid!
More
19 Sep 2010 11:27 - 19 Sep 2010 11:28 #399947 by kz1k
testarossa wrote:

kz1k wrote:

testarossa wrote:

He might just know someone who would want to buy it cheap.

I agree with the others here. Get your bike back, pull the valve cover, and lets have a look around. Make sure that the timing marks line up, check the valve clearances, then test compression yourself. The condition of the parts under the valve cover will tell you a lot about that motor. Nice, clean, shiny, no scratches, no sludge, no rust, then you're probably good to go with some maintenance. But if it looks like two miles of bad road in there, then expect a total rebuild. Get a manual, and settle in, you might just enjoy it, and I guarantee that if you see it through, then you'll have a bond to that bike that you would never have if you just bought a new one.

thanks test. youve been a big help. the journey has just begun. lol ill get the bike back tues. what should i do first? remove the motor or keep her in there?

1978 KZ1000A2

Last edit: 19 Sep 2010 11:28 by kz1k.