Engine break in concerns

More
12 Aug 2010 19:48 #390495 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Engine brake in concerns
XL777 wrote:

It is a dyna s ignition. I set it up a few yrs ago and don't remember any adjustments. It replaces all the original parts

I will pull the manual.

I assume I need to adjust the timming then? Would it work that poorly if the timing was out?

Do you think it could be the clutch at all dragging?

Would use timing light to align F mark with case mark at idle rpm. Also watch to assure advancer quickly moves back and forth as rpm is varied by blipping throttle. Advancer likely needs lubing (any oil), and perhaps both cleaning and lubing.

I don't suspect a clutch issue. If it was slipping, could readily tell by the increasing rpm without acceleration.

Any brake issue should also be easy to diagnose, as will ultimately lock from heat and bring the bike to a halt. Don't touch the disc, as it will likely be near red hot.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Aug 2010 20:11 #390506 by XL777
Replied by XL777 on topic Engine brake in concerns
The rpm did increase with out acceleration.

However I think I figured it out and boy am I a colossol dumb ass. I had the plug wires hooked up wrong. :|

2012 Triumph Bonneville SE black

1978 KZ1000 B2 LTD
Fresh top end rebuild
Rebuilt head
Wiseco 1015 pistons
Dyna s
Green Dyna coils
Wired george mod

It is easier to say what I haven't replaced then what I have.

I must love this cruel mistress since she hates me

More
12 Aug 2010 20:20 #390510 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Engine brake in concerns
otakar wrote:

Just make sure that you run the right oil. Do not run normal automotive oil. It is not the right classification for these bikes. Most here on this web sight run Shell Rotella-T, which has all the proper additives for our bikes. Especially ZDDP, which is critical in our motors and is not contained in modern oils. I buy mine at Wall-Mart for about $22 for a 2.5Gal jug. Read threw this post to get some information.
kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&...ew&catid=2&id=352062

my god not the zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzp thing again! :laugh: put good oil in there,run it for 1/2 hour or so/few miles riding to get it hot and change it.
let the motor cool overnight and retorque everything on it.

Still recovering,some days are better than others.
Attachments:

More
12 Aug 2010 22:50 - 12 Aug 2010 22:51 #390523 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Engine brake in concerns
I'm with Otakar: if you put in oil without ZDDP, you can seriously screw up the cams. If you are not sure if the oil has it, you can throw in 6 ounces of STP oil treatment (it has a lot of ZDDP). You can also buy ZDDP laced additives, I would not run a flat tappet engine without ZDDP. I have read too many posts about newly assembled engines that wiped the cam lobes running crappy car oil.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 12 Aug 2010 22:51 by bountyhunter.

More
13 Aug 2010 03:25 #390541 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Engine brake in concerns
A lot of cars run crappy car oil with flat tappet cams, and they seem to run for 300,000 to even 400,000 miles.

Makes me wonder.

KD9JUR

More
13 Aug 2010 04:58 #390554 by otakar
Replied by otakar on topic Engine brake in concerns
Since ZDDP has only been removed from oils since the end of 2007, that would mean that these cars have over 100,000 put on them per year. And yes, many of the older cars are getting wiped out. It's all over the inter nett.

74 Z1-A stock
76 KZ-900 Totaly stock vice MAC pipe
77 KZ-1000A stock
78 Z1-R 100%MINT 500 original Mi.
78 Z1-R Yoshi 1103 kit stage 1 cams Yoshi pipe. Etc
79 KZ-1300 (1400)
80 KZ-1300
81 Scratch built GPz1150R
82 KZ1000

More
13 Aug 2010 07:45 - 13 Aug 2010 12:45 #390591 by XL777
Replied by XL777 on topic Engine break in concerns
Thanks guys for all the input. I have always used good motorcycle oil. This debate is on many other threads so i'd like to not do it again on this one.

2012 Triumph Bonneville SE black

1978 KZ1000 B2 LTD
Fresh top end rebuild
Rebuilt head
Wiseco 1015 pistons
Dyna s
Green Dyna coils
Wired george mod

It is easier to say what I haven't replaced then what I have.

I must love this cruel mistress since she hates me
Last edit: 13 Aug 2010 12:45 by XL777.

More
13 Aug 2010 11:18 #390657 by bountyhunter
otakar wrote:

Since ZDDP has only been removed from oils since the end of 2007, that would mean that these cars have over 100,000 put on them per year. And yes, many of the older cars are getting wiped out. It's all over the inter nett.

It was on that TV show last week that rebuilds old classic muscle cars. One of them had a newly rebuilt engine that was running bad and they found out it was a wiped cam because the guy didn't know about the oil thing. I would not risk it.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
13 Aug 2010 11:59 #390664 by larrycavan
Replied by larrycavan on topic Engine brake in concerns
PLUMMEN wrote:

otakar wrote:

Just make sure that you run the right oil. Do not run normal automotive oil. It is not the right classification for these bikes. Most here on this web sight run Shell Rotella-T, which has all the proper additives for our bikes. Especially ZDDP, which is critical in our motors and is not contained in modern oils. I buy mine at Wall-Mart for about $22 for a 2.5Gal jug. Read threw this post to get some information.
kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&...ew&catid=2&id=352062

my god not the zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzp thing again! :laugh: put good oil in there,run it for 1/2 hour or so/few miles riding to get it hot and change it.
let the motor cool overnight and retorque everything on it.

:woohoo:

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
13 Aug 2010 12:03 - 13 Aug 2010 12:06 #390665 by larrycavan
Replied by larrycavan on topic Engine brake in concerns
XL777 wrote:

I have it converted to electronic ignition so as far as I know it is set and forget.

The cam timing has to be spot on I checked it six ways from Sunday before I put it all together.

It's not exactly a kitchen gadget so the set it and forget doesn't apply when you have acceleration problems...

Last edit: 13 Aug 2010 12:06 by larrycavan.

More
13 Aug 2010 17:18 #390709 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Engine brake in concerns
bountyhunter wrote:

otakar wrote:

It was on that TV show last week that rebuilds old classic muscle cars. One of them had a newly rebuilt engine that was running bad and they found out it was a wiped cam because the guy didn't know about the oil thing. I would not risk it.

guys have been wiping cams out on new motors long before i was around,and im sure they will be long after im gone! :laugh:
if you dont break in the cam and lifters on a car the right way depending on whether its hydraulic or solid lifter i dont care what kind of oil youre using youre gonna flatten the cam lobes.
if you stick a new cam in your sb chevy and let it sit and idle without varying the rpms for 30 mins its headed for the camshaft pile in the sky.
if you dont coat the shit out of the cam and lifters with assembly lube before firing it up so its lubricated at start up btill the oil gets there its toast
if you dont pump up your hydraulic lifters before installing them you can jack things up
........................... B)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
13 Aug 2010 18:05 - 13 Aug 2010 18:07 #390727 by bountyhunter
PLUMMEN wrote:

bountyhunter wrote:

otakar wrote:

guys have been wiping cams out on new motors long before i was around,and im sure they will be long after im gone! :laugh:
if you dont break in the cam and lifters on a car the right way depending on whether its hydraulic or solid lifter i dont care what kind of oil youre using youre gonna flatten the cam lobes.
if you stick a new cam in your sb chevy and let it sit and idle without varying the rpms for 30 mins its headed for the camshaft pile in the sky.
if you dont coat the shit out of the cam and lifters with assembly lube before firing it up so its lubricated at start up btill the oil gets there its toast
if you dont pump up your hydraulic lifters before installing them you can jack things up
........................... B)

I think you miss the point: according to the engine builders, there is NO RIGHT WAY to break in an engine with high lift cams if the oil does not have the ZDDP it needs. Period. That's what they say and the proof is the ruined motors. The proof is also the decades of data on reduced engine wear which is why the ZDDP was first used and increased to levels around 1200 - 1500 ppm. And BTW, cams are not the only part of the engine that ZDDP reduces wear in, they are just the ones that will fail very quickly. The ZDDP also reduces wear on bearing surfaces and cylinder walls and any other place that is stressed at start up before proper lubrication is up. It's a no brainer, you have a proven additive that has worked for about 50 years and no reason not to use it. No way I am running without it.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 13 Aug 2010 18:07 by bountyhunter.