Degree Wheel Setup & CAM Tutorial?

• Old Man Rock
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
05 Dec 2008 05:12 #250789 by Old Man Rock
Degree Wheel Setup & CAM Tutorial? was created by Old Man Rock
Hey all,

I've gone through the file database, searched the forum and web for that matter and I just haven't found a tutorial with images on how to setup and use a Degree wheel for setting up the cams.

I have found where use a degree wheel, I have a copy of Doug Meyers CAM lobe centers explained, have found bits and pieces of how to use but nothing as in a tutorial format for proper setup.

Anyone know of one or possibly have one they can share?
This would be a huge help to those of us that have never used a degree wheel before.

Thanks,

OMR

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Dec 2008 05:26 #250792 by timebomb33
Replied by timebomb33 on topic Degree Wheel Setup & CAM Tutorial?
web cams, lunati cams, comp cams they all have info and look at ape's site they have a good tech section greg cope goes into some detail about that subject.

1973 z1 2-1974z1-a,2-1975z1-b dragbikes1015cc+1393cc, 1977kz1000,1978kz1000,1981kz1000j, 1997 zx-11, 2000 z12r,1428turbo nitrous pro-mod and a shit load of parts thats all for now leader sask.,CANADA
I THINK MY POWERBAND BROKE

More
05 Dec 2008 16:24 #250884 by APE Jay
Replied by APE Jay on topic Degree Wheel Setup & CAM Tutorial?
You want to know how to find TDC with the degree wheel?

Jay

More
05 Dec 2008 16:48 #250888 by keith1
Replied by keith1 on topic Degree Wheel Setup & CAM Tutorial?
APE Jay wrote:

You want to know how to find TDC with the degree wheel?

Jay

i think hes looking for a step by step tutorial with some pics of the whole process with some basic
terminology explanations......would nt mind reading one myself....some of the terminology can be a bit confusing to the novice.......keith

• Old Man Rock
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
05 Dec 2008 17:00 #250892 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic Degree Wheel Setup & CAM Tutorial?
"step by step tutorial with some pics of the whole process "... Yes indeed!

Example the correct method for setting up the degree wheel and pointer... tips and tricks as example.

Some actual examples for the calc process in determining all that is required and how to apply in using the wheel.

In reading the Doug Meyers white pages, I basically understand the concept/calculation process but it would be nice to see how someone did this whole process with images, type of cams used, how calculated and then go through the process of adjusting the cams correctly in using the wheel etc...

I realize there are kits out there (Dale Walker cam degreeing kit) so do I truly need all this to install after market cams, I don't think so... I hope not anyways.

Ah well, I have found some good articles on the subject so I'll keep plugging away and post my findings when I find the right one that may help others as well.

Thanks,

OMR

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler

Phoenix, Az

More
05 Dec 2008 18:53 #250926 by timebomb33
hey omr try this one out they have complete instructions isky cam's. or at least they used to.why are you asking did you get your head back.

1973 z1 2-1974z1-a,2-1975z1-b dragbikes1015cc+1393cc, 1977kz1000,1978kz1000,1981kz1000j, 1997 zx-11, 2000 z12r,1428turbo nitrous pro-mod and a shit load of parts thats all for now leader sask.,CANADA

• Old Man Rock
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
05 Dec 2008 19:10 #250932 by Old Man Rock
"did you get your head back"... Not yet but Larry C. informed me he received the replacement Cams in perfect condition.... I should have the head back by end of next week, so real close... :woohoo:

As for asking what will be required... Since upgrading to .365 CAM's I realize there will be some change requirements in settings these up versus the stock/OEM Cam configurations.

Obviously I will need to obtain a degree wheel but in my research I have found where to do it correctly I may need the following but not sure if all this is truly required and the kits are rather expensive...

* 1 inch sweep dial indicator with 3 inch extension to reach hard to get to retainers or tappets
* Magnetic indicator stand with fine adjustment
* Performance degree wheel
* machined positive piston stops to fit any engine

So for the time being, doing my research and asking questions from those that have this level of experience for as I stated at the beginning of this project, I will be patient for I just want it done right....

I have the WebCam and other cam manufacturers guides but there's not that much out there with pictures and such as mentioned step by step.

Anyone use the Dale Cam degreeing video DVD?
Worth the $28?

OMR

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler

Phoenix, Az

More
05 Dec 2008 19:38 #250948 by timebomb33
yes actually it is if you can get past his incessent sales pitches it does go into detail quite well degreeing cams is hard to explain but when you see it doneyou will realise how easy it can really be. by the way do you have slotted sprockets. here it comes another plug for ape they make a fine set of slotted sprockets.

More
05 Dec 2008 20:31 #250968 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Degree Wheel Setup & CAM Tutorial?
Da tool!:laugh:

Still recovering,some days are better than others.
Attachments:

• Old Man Rock
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
06 Dec 2008 05:15 #251003 by Old Man Rock
"by the way do you have slotted sprockets. here it comes another plug for ape they make a fine set of slotted sprockets."...

Yes I do (APE) and I had posted about them questioning the correct method dialing them in. The answers where I received where vague. No mention of how to use/adjust these slotted sprockets in a write up.

As I have researched this, basically to truly align/degree them in 100% correctly you need that kit containing all the supplied tools and fixtures. Downfall, that kit is rather spendy for a 1 or 2 time use.

So as I see it, I have one of two choices...

1) Use the OEM sprockets that are still good and with the degree wheel, calculations, OEM cam procedure I should be able to dial in the cams +/- 2 degree or so... In theory anyways.

2) Preferably, install the New APE slotted sprockets, by the damn kit worth of tools from Harbor freight or somewhere cheap, and follow the cam procedures. Again, should put me rather close (+/- 1 degree)I think.

Between the Doug Meyers, WebCam and the Crane Cams write ups I should be able to complete this with confidence. I'll do my own write up (w/images) and provide for others like me where this is new territory...

As mentioned, not worried for I know several of you I can bug the hell out of for information... :laugh: Hell, some of you will fly to Az for a 6 pack of beer and a chance at one of my daughters friends...

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler

Phoenix, Az
Attachments:

More
06 Dec 2008 05:20 - 06 Dec 2008 05:21 #251004 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Degree Wheel Setup & CAM Tutorial?
Old Man Rock wrote:

"by the way do you have slotted sprockets. here it comes another plug for ape they make a fine set of slotted sprockets."...

Yes I do (APE) and I had posted about them questioning the correct method dialing them in. The answers where I received where vague. No mention of how to use/adjust these slotted sprockets in a write up.

As I have researched this, basically to truly align/degree them in 100% correctly you need that kit containing all the supplied tools and fixtures. Downfall, that kit is rather spendy for a 1 or 2 time use.

So as I see it, I have one of two choices...

1) Use the OEM sprockets that are still good and with the degree wheel, calculations, OEM cam procedure I should be able to dial in the cams +/- 2 degree or so... In theory anyways.

2) Preferably, install the New APE slotted sprockets, by the damn kit worth of tools from Harbor freight or somewhere cheap, and follow the cam procedures. Again, should put me rather close (+/- 1 degree)I think.

Between the Doug Meyers, WebCam and the Crane Cams write ups I should be able to complete this with confidence. I'll do my own write up (w/images) and provide for others like me where this is new territory...

As mentioned, not worried for I know several of you I can bug the hell out of for information... :laugh: Hell, some of you will fly to Az for a 6 pack of beer and a chance at one of my daughters friends...

im free after dec 20,commander in grief will be in mexico!:laugh:

Still recovering,some days are better than others.
Last edit: 06 Dec 2008 05:21 by PLUMMEN.

• Old Man Rock
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
06 Dec 2008 05:27 #251005 by Old Man Rock
Let me guess you old fart, you'd choose the 6 pack of Buttwiper beer? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler

Phoenix, Az