Degree Wheel Setup & CAM Tutorial?

• Old Man Rock
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
06 Dec 2008 17:49 #251117 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic Degree Wheel Setup & CAM Tutorial?
I know where you live! hahahahahaha...

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Dec 2008 17:54 #251120 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Degree Wheel Setup & CAM Tutorial?
hey those stripes are upside down!:laugh:

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
06 Dec 2008 17:56 #251121 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Degree Wheel Setup & CAM Tutorial?
thats what these guys said too,but ya know how that turned out!:laugh:

Still recovering,some days are better than others.
Attachments:

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
06 Dec 2008 19:02 #251148 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic Degree Wheel Setup & CAM Tutorial?
Old Man Rock wrote:

Very funny hahahahahaha.... I found a tutorial on the web of that concept, I believe there was one on here as well...

I just hate to change what work Larry has done for me and possibly screw it up...

Same time, it won't be the first nor the last time I screw something up for it's the way I learn. Example, bust a friggin hole in your engine cases and you'll learn real fast! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Damn that still pisses me off, what a stupid ass thing to do! :angry: :laugh: Maybe Dr Homer can fix me....:blush:

OMR

You may have made a misstake,who hasn't, but WOW! what a nice job youve done. Well done man. I would just love to see that big smile on your face when u rev that puppy up.:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

• Old Man Rock
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
06 Dec 2008 19:14 #251151 by Old Man Rock
Oh, don't worry about that for I will make a video/audio clip to post & share...

Just listen for the girly man sobbing like a school girl with tears of joy! That will be me.... :huh:
:dry: :blink: :blush: :laugh:

I ordered today Dale Walker's Tune for Power, Step by Step Cam Degreeing DVD so I should be good to go on all accounts. Tutorial and tools to learn the process but more importantly, insure the task at hand is accomplished correctly.... Can't afford an "oh Shit, WTF did I do" in the cam/timing, too costly of a screw up.

OMR

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler

Phoenix, Az

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
06 Dec 2008 19:35 #251155 by mark1122
Just holler if u need a hand.
We will all just sit and screem back at u.lol:laugh:

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

More
06 Dec 2008 20:02 #251158 by APE Jay
Replied by APE Jay on topic Degree Wheel Setup & CAM Tutorial?
Am I to understand that you would put light valve springs in it, bolt it to the block and torque it down, degree the cams, then take the head back off and replace the springs, then re install it????

Jay

More
06 Dec 2008 21:03 - 06 Dec 2008 21:08 #251164 by timebomb33
Replied by timebomb33 on topic Degree Wheel Setup & CAM Tutorial?
hey omr would that flight be first class or econimy or in the baggage compartment. ether way it would be warmer than here. don't use those light springs for degreeing the cam's use your regular springs that you are going to run because degreeing is the last thing major to do before the engine is sealed and made ready to fire. any time the cams are pulled out and the head comes off it should be checked the only time you use the light springs is for bench shimming or checking installed heights on the valves.

1973 z1 2-1974z1-a,2-1975z1-b dragbikes1015cc+1393cc, 1977kz1000,1978kz1000,1981kz1000j, 1997 zx-11, 2000 z12r,1428turbo nitrous pro-mod and a shit load of parts thats all for now leader sask.,CANADA
I THINK MY POWERBAND BROKE
Last edit: 06 Dec 2008 21:08 by timebomb33.

• CoreyClough
  • User
  • GPz550 Addiction
More
07 Dec 2008 03:08 #251211 by CoreyClough
Replied by CoreyClough on topic Degree Wheel Setup & CAM Tutorial?
I am now watching this thread, as I have a set of megacycle Slotted Cams I'd like to use on one of my stock engines someday. You are now creating a thread on how to degree cams, so take picutres and post your progress, because others will learn too.

Thanks.

'85 GPz550(ZX550-A2)

GPz550 Base Manual --> tinyurl.com/ze5b3qo
GPz550 Supplement Manual --> tinyurl.com/h34d2o6
GPz550.com --> www.nwsca.com/scripts/gpz_forum_2005/default.asp
First Race Win GPz550 --> tinyurl.com/o5y3ftp

• Old Man Rock
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
07 Dec 2008 05:33 - 07 Dec 2008 05:37 #251218 by Old Man Rock
Regarding the light springs, I don't have a valve compression tool so I won't be going this method. Especially not on this time for being my first time degreeing myself I don't want to take any chances.

Same time, I do understand what was mentioned by the others where it would be easier and I believe in my discussions with Larry and Mark that this method was to be used as a bench adjustment only meaning to get it roughly where you want then re-do once in the bike as the final using the actual springs.

"take pictures and post your progress, because others will learn too"....

Yup, I will be putting together a tutorial as previously mentioned.

Besides, I'm the reining king of imaging....

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler

Phoenix, Az
Attachments:
Last edit: 07 Dec 2008 05:37 by Old Man Rock.

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
07 Dec 2008 05:52 #251219 by mark1122
APE Jay wrote:

Am I to understand that you would put light valve springs in it, bolt it to the block and torque it down, degree the cams, then take the head back off and replace the springs, then re install it????

Jay

Yes this is the way i did mine. I used my old base and head gasket for this. Then i rechecked after reassembly with new gaskets. I found no change.

As for bench shimming with light springs. I found that after i did that i had to change some of the shimms after i reinstalled the proper springs.
I am allways open to learning better ways to do things. If you have any pro's and cons to help me improve my meathod i am all ears, Please advise.

01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

More
07 Dec 2008 06:56 #251227 by 77KZ650
Replied by 77KZ650 on topic Degree Wheel Setup & CAM Tutorial?
Old Man Rock wrote:

"by the way do you have slotted sprockets. here it comes another plug for ape they make a fine set of slotted sprockets."...

Yes I do (APE) and I had posted about them questioning the correct method dialing them in. The answers where I received where vague. No mention of how to use/adjust these slotted sprockets in a write up.

As I have researched this, basically to truly align/degree them in 100% correctly you need that kit containing all the supplied tools and fixtures. Downfall, that kit is rather spendy for a 1 or 2 time use.

So as I see it, I have one of two choices...

1) Use the OEM sprockets that are still good and with the degree wheel, calculations, OEM cam procedure I should be able to dial in the cams +/- 2 degree or so... In theory anyways.

2) Preferably, install the New APE slotted sprockets, by the damn kit worth of tools from Harbor freight or somewhere cheap, and follow the cam procedures. Again, should put me rather close (+/- 1 degree)I think.

Between the Doug Meyers, WebCam and the Crane Cams write ups I should be able to complete this with confidence. I'll do my own write up (w/images) and provide for others like me where this is new territory...

As mentioned, not worried for I know several of you I can bug the hell out of for information... :laugh: Hell, some of you will fly to Az for a 6 pack of beer and a chance at one of my daughters friends...

I do believe Im the man for both of those jobs!:woohoo:
I went by Dougs write up and the instructions in a Summit degree kit to set the cam timing (APE sprockets;) ) in my 12 to 105.5 106. I used the light springs to check PTV clearance. yup i had to pull the head after to get them out. kinda a pain in the ass eh? you can used compressed air and a special tool, but i didnt have one. btw Jay I sent APE tech an email about bronze seats and ss valves, hopefully you get itB)

some pics

(if you are wondering, im running 2 stock IN cams)

bolt something solid to the head so the dial indicator wont move. the closer to 90 degrees you get it to the buckets the better. serious guys get their cams turned down in one spot for better access.
take your time, be very careful, a touch of OCD doesnt hurt here;)

07 MDP Rookie of the Year
01 ZX-12R street/drag bike. 8.97 @155.7 pump gas, dot tires, no bars, no power adders. top speed in the 1/4: 161MPH