Header Wrap

More
05 Jan 2008 13:25 #187812 by Bad Kaw
Replied by Bad Kaw on topic Header Wrap
I like Jagrider's oil-line-routing advise. Very logical.

78 Kawasaki Z1R
81 Kawasaki KZ1000J (mods)
82 Kawasaki ELR Clone (1000 J)
82 Kawasaki KZ750R1/GPz750 ELR-ed
70 Kawasaki KV75
83 Honda CB1100F (few mods)
79 Suzuki GS1000 (rolling frame / project / junk)
84 Suzuki GS1150ES (modified project)
83 Yamaha XJ900R (project / junk)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Jan 2008 13:34 #187813 by Bad Kaw
Replied by Bad Kaw on topic Header Wrap
And on the subject of exhaust coatings, these guys come highly recommended by some other motorcyclists that I talk to:
www.performancecoatings.com/performancecoatings.html

...these guys, too: www.airborncoatings.com/homepage.html

I have had no experience with either, personally; but I have two friends who drag race and have high-perf street-bikes (to include street&strip turbo-bikes) that use AirBorn (the second one) and they prefer them (and their prices) to JetHott out of Oklahoma.

78 Kawasaki Z1R
81 Kawasaki KZ1000J (mods)
82 Kawasaki ELR Clone (1000 J)
82 Kawasaki KZ750R1/GPz750 ELR-ed
70 Kawasaki KV75
83 Honda CB1100F (few mods)
79 Suzuki GS1000 (rolling frame / project / junk)
84 Suzuki GS1150ES (modified project)
83 Yamaha XJ900R (project / junk)

More
05 Jan 2008 16:11 #187840 by HerrDeacon
Replied by HerrDeacon on topic Header Wrap
I prefer the black for your bike, would look sweet. I'm going with black too I think for mine.

BTW, good photoshop work!

More
05 Jan 2008 22:29 #187886 by krcrawford29
Replied by krcrawford29 on topic Header Wrap
Definetly black. I got my hands on a MAC 4-1 header for 80 bucks for my KZ. I will put on a wrap, also black, but can anyone tell me a good price for that amount of wrap?:unsure:

More
06 Jan 2008 05:54 #187907 by jagrider
Replied by jagrider on topic Header Wrap
Jagrider here, Muzzy exhaust system made 2 set for my kaw ZX7/ZX9 drag bike I told them rap the exhaust, they check engine temp when reading it may go up. The said don't rap the exhaust not good for the motor. So I check it my self install with rap and 1 that was not rap and the temp did go up 12 degrees, and I had the headers in my drag to and soon I as could, I pull it off of my car headers to. When I pull it off of both man it lift and nasty rap burn in to both headers when I painted the headers riding for about 50 miles it would come right back through.

Loud pipes save lives.

More
06 Jan 2008 05:59 #187908 by jagrider
jagrider wrote:

Jagrider here, Muzzy exhaust system made 2 set for my kaw ZX7/ZX9 drag bike I told them rap the exhaust, they check engine temp when reading it may go up. The said don't rap the exhaust not good for the motor. So I check it my self install with rap and 1 that was not rap and the temp did go up 12 degrees, and I had the headers in my drag to and soon I as could, I pull it off of my car headers to. When I pull it off of both man it lift and nasty rap burn in to both headers when I painted the headers riding for about 50 miles it would come right back through.

I was trying to down load I picture of the ZX7 with the rap on it would let me.

Loud pipes save lives.

More
06 Jan 2008 07:07 #187913 by jagrider
Jagrider here like the videos and the bike. cool black, check my silly one's on Youtude.com just type in KZ1000 I'm kzkicking.

Loud pipes save lives.

More
06 Jan 2008 08:49 #187945 by John T
Replied by John T on topic Header Wrap
WOW
I always thought wrapping the header kept the engine COOLER..

good info.

True Wisdom Only Comes From Pain.

More
06 Jan 2008 20:37 #188053 by kawtoy
Replied by kawtoy on topic Header Wrap
My engine did run cooler after I wrapped my pipes but I could tell that the muffler was hotter. After a long run you can literaly put your hand on the pipe and not get burned. It is still hot as hell but you will not leave any skin behind. When riding the engine is getting cooler air instead of the air that has been heated up by the pipes. Did I mention it looks bitchin. It may hurt pipe in the long run but you are starting with some old rusty pipe then who cares. My Kerker was in bad shape and no matter how many times I sanded and painted it, it would just turn grey and then start to rust again.

Harley Davidson- Turning gas into noise without the harmful affects of horsepower for over 100 years.

More
07 Jan 2008 00:19 #188070 by jagrider
B) jagrier here, the mufflers are running hotter the means motor is running hotter. You can buy oil temp gauge at any Car speed shop and can fitted to the bike.
The headers are like raditors to let the gas being burt out and the heat. It's like when humans are hot then they put a coat how can the heat come out. Just something to thank about. The gauges can be bought at any Car speed shop - you can buy the both small oil pressure and temp gauge. I have both fitting to my bike they cost from $15.00 to $30.00 I seen oil pressure 0 to 25 on ebay $50.00 to much check car speed shops 1st for items like this. There's 1 guy on ebay sale oil pressure gauge 0 to 100 this to big for kz. A thought is talk to some of the header companies that have race motorcycles.

To ride a kz is to by free.

Loud pipes save lives.

More
07 Jan 2008 06:25 #188102 by kawtoy
Replied by kawtoy on topic Header Wrap
Not necessarily true jagrider. The muffler gets hot because instead of the pipe absorbing the heat it is being expelled out of the muffler. Wrapping the pipes is nothing like a human wearing a coat. The exhaust has a another way of getting rid of the heat unlike the body which can only radiate heat throungh the skin. Motorcycle engine designers never planned on using the pipes to act like a radiator. Why do you think all race cars use wrap on their pipes. They need to keep engine compartment temps down as well as gain horsepower. There is no way a race car engine builder would allow something to go on his engine if it raised the temp enough to worry about. Yes I have taken thermodynamics for my engineering degree, no I do not want to think about the formulas that are involved. They make my head hurt :S

Harley Davidson- Turning gas into noise without the harmful affects of horsepower for over 100 years.

More
07 Jan 2008 10:39 #188137 by jagrider
Jagrider here, my temp did go up, If you talk to some of the headers companies that race bikes. I been racing cars and bikes for about 22 years. I have chevy S10 with 383 motor that I rap the headers on to keep the heat down. I was told buy a lot of people at the track and 2 motorcycle header company not to rap in traps heat. Muzzy Exhaust systems Dave is the man down there.I have 84 Mazda RX7 with 372 Mopar Motor. Just to name a few I race now. And it is like a coat covering it.I rap both my ZX7/ZX9 drag bike and the chevy S10 and the motor temp went up on both. What it did was cool some but not much was the motor compartment but the engine temp went up a little. And was told no to do it by a lot of people at the track and Muzzy and Hooker Headers. But I did it any way. The only way is to do what I did and check with a temp guage with and out with for me it went up. I have race at Summit Point Race Way Back in 85 to 89, Budds Creek Race Way just to name a few 79 to now off and on. I can email pics of my the Mazda Chevy S10 and the ZX7/ZX9 a pics with the rap on it.But any who just something to think about. email me at - jagcompany@aol.com I only seen maybe 4 cars raps the headers at the track. Never seen a motorcycle
that all out racing rap there's. The kz1000 here I have list I was running the bike to but keeping it as a street bike. The KZ1000 that I drag race the blue one that fades color is a 12.5 to 1 motor on the street I run 2 heat range cooler spark plugs I been over 600 miles on the bike no over heating and I'm working on a little bigger radiator oil cooler and 12 volt fan / stat that works of the motor that would kick in at 170 for stop and go traffic. Jag will never rap again that for sure. B) peace

Loud pipes save lives.