Bike security?

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
19 Apr 2016 06:35 #721720 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Bike security?
That's the problem with having something nice, there's always someone that wants to take it from you. I see Harleys in the parking lot and no one looks at them twice. :S
Steve

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Apr 2016 07:09 #721731 by Rockranch
Replied by Rockranch on topic Bike security?

Coast Steve wrote: Just wondering if anyone has any sort of tracking device or anti start device for their rides?
I was thinking of an implanted kind of satellite tracking, GPS thing.

Or am I out to lunch :P
Speaking of lunch, I don't want to come out from a burger and beer to a missing bike.

www.amazon.com/Hidden-Mini-Tracker-Motor...acking/dp/B00H93TGIS

(2)-1976 KZ900B-LTD's
1-all stock low mileage...
1 modified
1977 KZ1000 (awaiting resurrection!) :)
...and an old school Honda CB750 Chopper is next on my bucket list!

Oh...and a Pocket Rocket lol!!!

More
19 Apr 2016 08:56 - 19 Apr 2016 08:57 #721778 by baldy110
Replied by baldy110 on topic Bike security?

650ed wrote: Lock the steering, but more important, lock the rear wheel. Here's what I use for the rear wheel:

Attachment Lockup-2.jpg not found

Of course, nothing is absolutely foolproof, so it helps to have a fire and theft insurance policy:

Attachment Fire&TheftPolicy.jpg not found

Ed, I really like your fire and theft policy, that is awesome. Looks like a S&W model 29, the Dirty Harry pistol.
Last edit: 19 Apr 2016 08:57 by baldy110.

More
19 Apr 2016 09:23 #721789 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Bike security?
Good eye! That's exactly what it is. :) Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
19 Apr 2016 12:40 #721832 by MDZ1rider
Replied by MDZ1rider on topic Bike security?
Dirt bike theft is a major problem in my area. The police gave a briefing to our club on some common sense prevention. While these are more for dirt bikes, they can apply to all bikes.
1. If your garage is visible from the street, keep the door closed. Cover the bikes so they are not easily spotted when the door is open. You may be proud of your bike, but displaying it for passersby may attract the attention of the wrong type person.
2. Do not wash or work on your bike in your driveway or the front of your house if possible. Same reason as above.
3. Don't plaster your car/truck or trailer with M/C related stickers. That's a strong hint to thieves that there's probably a bike in that garage.
4. Watch your mirrors for the same vehicle when you are returning home with a truck/trailer full of bikes. If you spot a vehicle that's been trailing you, do not stop at your house. Drive past and stop in a public area.
5. Any Security system you use to protect your bike is good, but nothing will stop a determined professional thief. The goal is to make someone else's bike an easier target. It's like the old joke...In the event of a bear attack, your don't have to be able to outrun the bear. You just have to be able to outrun your buddy.
6. Insure your bike, If it's highly customized or a restored original classic, look into an "agreed value" policy. Arguing the replacement value of your bike is much easier when the insurance company is taking your money vs. giving you theirs.
7. Never give your home address out if you are selling a bike and don't go to an address the seller gives you. Pick a public place (police station parking lot is a good one) to meet.

More
19 Apr 2016 21:20 #721938 by theApehouse
Replied by theApehouse on topic Bike security?
I've always wondered about how a GPS tracker would actually play out with law enforcement. Even if you could pin point the stolen bikes location, what kind of leverage is it to warrant law enforcement getting involved? From a legal aspect is it enough to get a search warrant? Would law enforcement bother even knocking on the door without one? Curious how that all works in the eyes of the law..

1987 KZ1000P, dynatek 2.2 coils

www.youtube.com/channel/UC3VtY1XWwKH3zK2trI2Hz1w

• DoctoRot
  • Sustaining Member
  • Oh, the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
More
20 Apr 2016 01:06 - 20 Apr 2016 01:15 #721946 by DoctoRot
Replied by DoctoRot on topic Bike security?
I have thought long and hard about the bike theft issue in regards to KZs and this is the simple conclusion have come to;

Professional bike thieves are parting stolen bikes out, not riding them or registering them.
Therefore they need to steal bikes that have high demand for parts, or parts that are very expensive.
KZ owners do not generate a high demand for parts, nor are parts relatively expensive.
Therefore KZs are not prone to professional thieves.
Thieves who will try to steal your bike are either opportunistic or stupid thieves
These people have no real system for bike theft
Therefore a simple caliper lock is usually enough, or if you live in an area where theft is an issue a cable lock might be a good idea.

The fact of the matter is if someone wants your bike no matter what type of lock you have on it they can be rolling it away in less than a minute. A cordless angle grinder with a cutoff wheel is a powerful tool that will go through the toughest locks in seconds. But seriously don't underestimate how undesirable one of these KZs is to a thief. Parts sit on ebay for months and never sell, so really you only have to worry about amateur theft which is pretty easy to avoid.

If i was a thief i would probably be stealing Harleys since people pay crazy money for parts, there is high demand, and they are freakin everywhere.
just my .02
Last edit: 20 Apr 2016 01:15 by DoctoRot.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Patton

More
20 Apr 2016 05:50 #721956 by Rockranch
Hmmmm...KZ parts are "cheap"?..."not in demand"? LOL! Maybe that should be told to the 100's of greedy KZ parts sellers on ebay alone?! .......................................Mike

Vroom-vroom!!!

(2)-1976 KZ900B-LTD's
1 modified

More
20 Apr 2016 06:02 - 20 Apr 2016 08:06 #721958 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Bike security?
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationNo eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationNo eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configuration

Rockranch wrote: Hmmmm...KZ parts are "cheap"?..."not in demand"? LOL! Maybe that should be told to the 100's of greedy KZ parts sellers on ebay alone?! .......................................Mike

Vroom-vroom!!!

Yup, KZ parts are very cheap indeed. You can pick up an original KZ650 tank with a bent fuel cap mount and only minor paint damage ($1,000), or one with a large dent in it for only a few dollars ($1,000). Of course, you can get one that is scraped and needs repainting almost for free ($528). ;)

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Last edit: 20 Apr 2016 08:06 by 650ed.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
20 Apr 2016 06:48 #721972 by SWest
Maybe the smaller fours but the Z1/KZ's are prime targets. I can see the $$ signs in the eyes of the low lives that come around when I'm parking. :angry: They don't want the bike, they want the parts they can sell to keep them in Meth for a year or a couple OZ's at least. :dry:
I have one up the street that drives slowly by looking for the bike and an opportunity to snag it. He doesn't realize at my age, I don't care about JAIL or whatever happens to me. He takes my bike and starts stripping it, "He will have long time waiting for his welcome DEATH." :evil:
Steve
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rockranch

More
20 Apr 2016 07:00 #721974 by Rockranch
My point exactly Steve. All ya have to do is a bit of searching and it's more than obvious. It's been that way since the mid '70's. ..........................................Mike

Vroom-vroom!!!

(2)-1976 KZ900B-LTD's
1 modified

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
20 Apr 2016 07:17 - 20 Apr 2016 07:18 #721980 by SWest
Bossie sat for 15 years. I had no idea of the "Great Z1 Drain of the 90's. It's like in 75 when the Z1's were the hottest bike to be stolen. :dry: I was offered $2500 for it one day. He didn't have any money and he was telegraphing what he could get for it without realizing it. He just wanted to learn where I lived so he and his buddies cold grab it one night. I stopped caring about hurting feelings a long time ago and NO is a major part of my vocabulary. He felt like a whipped dog after I was through with him. :evil: :woohoo:
Steve
Last edit: 20 Apr 2016 07:18 by SWest.