Bike security?

More
18 Apr 2016 17:45 - 18 Apr 2016 17:46 #721649 by Coast Steve
Bike security? was created by Coast Steve
Just wondering if anyone has any sort of tracking device or anti start device for their rides?
I was thinking of an implanted kind of satellite tracking, GPS thing.

Or am I out to lunch :P
Speaking of lunch, I don't want to come out from a burger and beer to a missing bike.

1982 Kawasaki Eddie Lawson S1 (1136cc race replica clone.)
Last edit: 18 Apr 2016 17:46 by Coast Steve.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Apr 2016 17:54 #721652 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic Bike security?
I use a disc lock if it will be parked any length of time or in a dicey neighborhood. Use a .45 auto as a backup system.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
18 Apr 2016 17:57 #721653 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Bike security?
I have a alarm and a big a$$ lock on my forks.
Steve

More
18 Apr 2016 18:22 #721657 by theApehouse
Replied by theApehouse on topic Bike security?
I also use an alarm (with an obnoxious remote control start feature that I never use). But if I'm on a road trip I also use a locking cable (that i use to lock my luggage on bike when riding) to lock wheels when I'm done for the day.

1987 KZ1000P, dynatek 2.2 coils

www.youtube.com/channel/UC3VtY1XWwKH3zK2trI2Hz1w

More
18 Apr 2016 18:40 #721662 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Bike security?
Lock the steering, but more important, lock the rear wheel. Here's what I use for the rear wheel:

Attachment Lockup-2.jpg not found

Of course, nothing is absolutely foolproof, so it helps to have a fire and theft insurance policy:

Attachment Fire&TheftPolicy.jpg not found

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:

More
18 Apr 2016 19:47 - 19 Apr 2016 06:23 #721678 by Coast Steve
Replied by Coast Steve on topic Bike security?
LOL,

Not sure if my pellet gun would do the trick though, LOL
Like the disk lock idea.

Last edit: 19 Apr 2016 06:23 by Coast Steve.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
18 Apr 2016 19:50 #721680 by SWest
CB longs in a 22 rifle is very quiet. Just like a pellet gun. :evil:
Steve

More
19 Apr 2016 03:40 - 19 Apr 2016 05:18 #721695 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Bike security?
Any security method is better than none, and may help deter a casual thief of opportunity. But most common methods don't offer sufficient protection from the more accomplished thieves.

When away from home, I use the cable through frame method attached to the most permanent fixture available such as a metal or concrete pole, and where feasible, locking two bikes together via the cable through both frames (harder to steal two at the same time). And covering the bike while away from it also helps with security, as in "out of sight, out of mind," as for example overnight in a motel parking lot, or anywhere else.

When accomplished bike thieves target a bike, they aren't readily dissuaded by most popular common "security" methods such as immovable wheels, fork locks, disabled ignition, or whatever. They may simply lift the bike and whisk it away in a truck or trailer. Some may employ a shovel under one or both wheels to slide the bike into position for loading. And bolt cutters are also handy for them.

Am recalling one gang of bike thieves that travels to Daytona Bike Week, starting out with no bikes and a large empty truck, collecting their rides en-route.

Keep your "secured" bike in sight -- preferably not in the mall parking lot while you're inside at the movie. And when on the road and stopping to eat, try to pick a joint where the bike can remain in your line of sight while you are away from it. Use ground floors when staying in motels. Sometimes it might even be feasible to pull the bike inside (yes, a Vetter equipped Z1 will indeed fit into some motel rooms).

Become better informed about how to best protect your bike. Post your favorite security method or question here, and perhaps learn how others may think a thief would approach the idea of stealing it.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 19 Apr 2016 05:18 by Patton.

More
19 Apr 2016 04:57 #721698 by KZ Rat
Replied by KZ Rat on topic Bike security?
This would be more recovery then preventive . Would almost be fun to set up a bait bike to go tweaker hunting... www.thetrackr.com/

1979 ltd 1260 1980 ltd 1075 2005 450x for the desert

More
19 Apr 2016 05:14 #721700 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Bike security?
Another reason to cover the bike is to help keep easily snatched off pieces such as side covers from being readily noticed and grabbed.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
19 Apr 2016 06:09 #721713 by SWest
I park next to the front entrance of the stores I go to. I also have this lock and alarm.

Unfortunately there's a big market for parts from these bikes so they are targets wherever you go. :angry:

This Tweaker came up to me and asked me if I wanted to sell my bike. I gave him the look in the eye and said NOT FOR SALE. :angry: :angry:
I wanted to take his head off. :angry:
I see him hanging around the parking lot from time to time looking for a chance. Stater Bros. doesn't allow them to hang out in front of the store anymore.
Steve
Attachments:

More
19 Apr 2016 06:29 #721717 by Coast Steve
Replied by Coast Steve on topic Bike security?
Usually I'll be on the bike or near it but I think it's overnight trips that have me thinking.

i'll get some type of lock for sure though.

Going into stores like that is another real concern if a scumbag is scoping out for a bike.