What Oil Do You Run?

More
02 Mar 2016 13:59 #713488 by redhawk4
Replied by redhawk4 on topic What Oil Do You Run?

swest wrote: Aughhh. Those poor polar bears. :lol:
They wanted to ban 10 year and older cars and trucks until there was a outcry. My 69 Ford F 250 gets 20 mpg on the HWY. It runs regular fuel and I can go up the grape vine fully loaded, towing a trailer at 65 MPH. The only time I had the drop down to 2nd was when I had my grandmother's 75 240D Mercedies on my dolly pulling the grade. Felt like a anchor. I'll keep the truck thank you and Bossie.
Steve

The joke is that most people who have older vehicles usually have them running pretty well and at the end of the day how many 70's and 80's vehicles are even on the road still to cause a problem that matters in the scheme of things. If they really want to get your undies in a twist then the environmentalists should consider how much of earth's resources and energy have been saved by you keeping an old vehicle gong rather than having bought 10 new ones in the intervening years. The powers at be were probably focused on all the the sales tax revenue they'd get from all the newer cars and the higher licensing fees etc. Follow the money, that's always where the truth is and of course the car manufacturers wouldn't be complaining either.

1978 KZ1000A2 Wiseco 1075 kit
1977 KZ650B1
1973 Triumph Tiger TR7V
1968 BSA Victor Special 441
2015 Triumph Thunderbird LT
1980 Suzuki SP400

Old enough to know better, still too young to care

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Mar 2016 14:07 #713489 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic What Oil Do You Run?

redhawk4 wrote:

They wanted to ban 10 year and older cars and trucks until there was a outcry. My 69 Ford F 250 gets 20 mpg on the HWY. It runs regular fuel and I can go up the grape vine fully loaded, towing a trailer at 65 MPH. The only time I had the drop down to 2nd was when I had my grandmother's 75 240D Mercedies on my dolly pulling the grade. Felt like a anchor. I'll keep the truck thank you and Bossie.
Steve

The joke is that most people who have older vehicles usually have them running pretty well and at the end of the day how many 70's and 80's vehicles are even on the road still to cause a problem that matters in the scheme of things..

I have a 92 Saturn which no longer can meet the smog limits arbitrarily imposed by California..... except for the fact I pull some tricks like blending 30% of E-85 into the gas to drop the HC's long enough to pass then I flush it out and put regular gas back in.

It is true the older cars put out a lot more smog. They had single cat converters, new cars have dual. I think new cars limit something like 10 ppm on HC where my Saturn's "new" limit is about 60 ppm. Bottom line, the smaller volume of older cars means they are not the main source of air pollution but kali wants to kill them off anyway.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
02 Mar 2016 14:11 #713491 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic What Oil Do You Run?
Ford was the only one that didn't accept the stimulus money and made it through the recession. GM did and just asked Congress to wave the recall requirements and pending lawsuits. My daughter's 04 Malibu had 11. Three were life threatening. Yup, money.
Steve

More
02 Mar 2016 15:28 #713506 by Bowman
Replied by Bowman on topic What Oil Do You Run?
My father in law who was a crusty old Saskatchewan farmer used to "flush" engines by filling up the crankcase with Diesel and running it for 1/2 hour. Not Diesel oil, Diesel FUEL.

Honda 55 Trail don't ask me what year, 65? (sold)
79 Yamaha XS400 (sold)
76 KZ750B Twin (project)
72 Honda CT70 (project)

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
02 Mar 2016 15:38 #713507 by SWest
Never needed this since the 80's using Castrol.
Steve

Attachments:

More
02 Mar 2016 15:47 #713510 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic What Oil Do You Run?

Bowman wrote: My father in law who was a crusty old Saskatchewan farmer used to "flush" engines by filling up the crankcase with Diesel and running it for 1/2 hour. Not Diesel oil, Diesel FUEL.

Reminds me of my younger days!

My friend Dave had a '53 Chevy. He was 16; I was 15. An old guru (19 years old :laugh: ) at a gas station where we hung out said you could flush the old gunk out of the engine by draining the oil and replacing it with kerosene and then run it a little while. He was not specific about "a little while." Dave replaced the oil with kerosene and used the car that way for about 10 days! We went back to the gas station and asked the "guru" if 10 days was long enough. He almost fell over and then told us he meant run it with kerosene in it about 5 minutes at the most. We drained the kerosene and it sure had loosened up a lot of gunk. The funny thing is that the old '53 Chevy 6 cylinder engine wasn't hurt at all by that treatment. I think the tolerances in those all engines were so loose that you couldn't hurt them. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
02 Mar 2016 15:55 #713511 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic What Oil Do You Run?
California has backed off on the old car witch hunt. It used to be ALL cars required a smog check regardless of age, and even old cars made prior to 1966 had to have retrofit work performed to add things like a PVC and NOX control systems. Now cars 1975 and older are exempt. Tell you what though, when you get stuck behind an old car driving in traffic they stink to high heaven. Those old vehicles put out about 100x more smog than a modern car.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
02 Mar 2016 16:01 #713515 by SWest
My truck had a NOX system on it. Not much to it. Ran hot, less mileage and less power. After the law changed I tool it off. Much better.
MY TRUCK SMELLS LIKE POWER, sounds like it too. :lol:
Steve

More
02 Mar 2016 16:51 - 02 Mar 2016 16:51 #713523 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic What Oil Do You Run?

Nessism wrote:

bountyhunter wrote: I do add ZDDPlus. In a pinch, you can add 1/2 can of STP Oil Treatment and that will bump the zinc levels up pretty close to where they should be. It also bumps the viscosity a few points but not a big problem. I ran STP in my KZ750 for MANY years so it doesn't hurt anything.

STP will boost the ZDDP and the viscosity. Don't think I'd use the stuff with 20W-50 or use it in the cold weather.

If you want a Zinc add that doesn't boost viscosity you can use ZDDPlus or the Redline additive.

www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=121&pcid=1

zddplus.com/products/zddplus-oil-additive/

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 02 Mar 2016 16:51 by bountyhunter.

More
02 Mar 2016 17:38 #713529 by Rockranch
Replied by Rockranch on topic What Oil Do You Run?

Steve

A few years ago I bought an older 1970's KZ with an out of state title. I went to the DMV to get it registered because they had to verify the VIn and engine #'s because it was an out of state bike. The DMV attendant looked the bike over and finally asked me where the emissions stickers were located. I replied with a chuckle "Emission stickers?...this is a stock factory produced 1977 model bike just like the title and neck sticker indicate" and asked him "What century he was born in?". He didn't seem to like that comment but he passed me and I was on my way. ...................................Mike

Vroom-vroom!!!

(2)-1976 KZ900B-LTD's
1-all stock low mileage...
1 modified
1977 KZ1000 (awaiting resurrection!) :)
...and an old school Honda CB750 Chopper is next on my bucket list!

Oh...and a Pocket Rocket lol!!!

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
02 Mar 2016 17:42 #713530 by SWest
Ignore them long enough and they'll go away. :whistle:
Steve

More
02 Mar 2016 18:06 #713537 by Rockranch
Replied by Rockranch on topic What Oil Do You Run?

swest wrote: Ignore them long enough and they'll go away. :whistle:
Steve

That's what I keep thinking. The employees at the El Centro DMV are 99.9% Mexican and few of those seem to speak or even understand English in the 1st place...go figure. .................................Mike

Vroom-vroom!

(2)-1976 KZ900B-LTD's
1-all stock low mileage...
1 modified
1977 KZ1000 (awaiting resurrection!) :)
...and an old school Honda CB750 Chopper is next on my bucket list!

Oh...and a Pocket Rocket lol!!!