helmet???

More
13 Jul 2012 13:27 #535665 by mtbspeedfreak
Replied by mtbspeedfreak on topic helmet???

mtbspeedfreak wrote: You should not buy a helmet without trying it on. I cannot stress this enough. If you ask nicely, you might be able to wear it for a ride around the block.

A few years ago, right out of college, I did not have hardly any money. I bought a cheaper DOT/Snell helmet. That f*cker was so loud from the wind at highway speeds it permanently damaged my hearing. After a year and a half, I finally manned up and started looking at proper helmets. I wound up buying an Arai. It wasn't cheap, but it fit better than I ever imagined a helmet to fit. I tried on virtually every make of helmet before making this decision.

I was not able to take it out for a test ride unfortunately, so I did my window noise/ventilation research online. I can't remember the website now, but I'll follow up tomorrow.

The Arai that fits me perfectly may not fit you. The Bell might not fit you. The Shoei/AGV/Scorpion/etc may not fit you. The only, repeat, only way to know for sure is to try them on.

Let us know what you choose!

Here's the helmet review site: www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/motorcycle-helmets.htm

Pretty good stuff, these guys know how to test a helmet!

2000 ZRX 1100
1976 KZ 900- Daily Driver
1980 LTD 550- Dalton Highway survivor!

If it has tits or tires, it'll give you problems!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jul 2012 13:30 #535667 by mtbspeedfreak
Also, once I found the helmet I wanted, I bought it online. You get a 10% discount at Bike Bandit if you're an AMA member. The helmet will cost enough that you'll likely won't have to pay for shipping. No tax too, if you live outside of CA.

2000 ZRX 1100

More
13 Jul 2012 15:12 #535683 by mtbspeedfreak

turboguzzi wrote: even a top of the line helmet is going to create irreversible hearing damage at highway speeds.

regretfully, damage to hearing is cumulative, so every time you are exposed you damage your hearing a bit more and hearing deosn't heal itself with time.

always, always, always use ear plugs. I do so even for relatively short rides....unless you think that bad hearing is sexy somehow.

Helmets are interesting. 99% of the top of the line helmets are created for racers/track days and don't care about noise, just ventilation. The more vents a helmet has, the louder it'll be.

I have an Arai Vector 2 and have been extremely happy with it. Yeah, there is noise at highway speeds - not nearly as much as my previous Icon Alliance helmet. That being said, you definitely want to use ear plugs for more than around-town riding. I use a nice set of earbuds and music while on longer rides. They knock the dbs from the wind down and it's nice being able to pause and play the music when I want to.

2000 ZRX 1100

More
13 Jul 2012 19:42 #535731 by dejavoodo41
Replied by dejavoodo41 on topic helmet???
Ear buds are nice for music while you're riding unfortunately here in Florida it's a ticket if you have them in while riding. A few years ago a buddy of mine got a $91 ticket for wearing them while riding. This state does some really screwy stuff towards bikes. Like stopping bikes coming into the state for safety inspections during bike week.

1977 KZ1000A With 1980 KZ1000A MKII engine, Wiseco 1105 kit, Dyna S Ignition, 3 Ohm Dyna Coils, Cams, Mikuni RS34 Carbs, Vance and Hines Pro Pipe with Comp Baffle

New Smyrna Beach, FL

More
13 Jul 2012 20:06 #535737 by mtbspeedfreak
Do they allow Bluetooth headsets or earbuds while driving a car?

2000 ZRX 1100

More
13 Jul 2012 20:52 - 13 Jul 2012 20:53 #535743 by dejavoodo41
As far as I know ear buds are illegal when operating any motor vehicle. Bluetooth is legal I think because it's only in one ear. This state has stupid laws. I know another guy that got a ticket because he was hanging out of the window of a moving vehicle and was endangering himself yet you see people riding motorcycles with nothing on but shorts and flip flops and that is perfectly legal.

1977 KZ1000A With 1980 KZ1000A MKII engine, Wiseco 1105 kit, Dyna S Ignition, 3 Ohm Dyna Coils, Cams, Mikuni RS34 Carbs, Vance and Hines Pro Pipe with Comp Baffle

New Smyrna Beach, FL
Last edit: 13 Jul 2012 20:53 by dejavoodo41.

More
14 Jul 2012 00:20 #535776 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic helmet???
Another thing to think about is a quiet helmet may be like having a sack pulled down over your head. In other words you cook in hot weather. I had a Shoei helmet years ago and it was that way, quiet, and quiet because no air circulation. Before that I pretty much wore low line helmets, but they were all Snell approved for their day. Some things I figured out was basically you get what you pay for in a helmet. You buy a $100 helmet, you got a $100 helmet, and despite some web reviews that rate a certain type $100 helmet good as a $700 are full of balony. After my Shoei I got an Arai and will never go back. Not the quietest helmet, but I don't want a bag pulled over my head. I did my last big ride a month ago that was 1733 miles in 24 hours according to the GL1800 odometer, 1664 GPS certified miles and had my Arai on for 22.5 hours straight other than gas stops. I would challenge any less costly helmet be comfortable for this ride. Some of the reviews I think they ride 2 miles to rate these helmets.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
14 Jul 2012 01:00 #535782 by dejavoodo41
I don't know about other places but Cycle Gear will do an exchange on helmets within 7 days as long as you have your sales receipt if you don't like it. Which I think is pretty cool since you really can't tell a whole lot about a helmet by wearing it for a couple of minutes in the store.

New Smyrna Beach, FL

More
14 Jul 2012 09:25 #535813 by AnthonyMartello
Replied by AnthonyMartello on topic helmet???
We begin with the all new LS2 FF-358. This product offers inflatable cheek padding to re-size and tailor-fit the Helmet perfectly to each user. This product also carries a dual ECE:22-05ISI certification (European Safety Certification) and the Indian ISI Certification.

Thanks a lot
Anthony

More
14 Jul 2012 14:00 #535857 by turboguzzi
Replied by turboguzzi on topic helmet???

RonKZ650 wrote: I did my last big ride a month ago that was 1733 miles in 24 hours according to the GL1800 odometer, 1664 GPS certified miles and had my Arai on for 22.5 hours straight other than gas stops. I would challenge any less costly helmet be comfortable for this ride. Some of the reviews I think they ride 2 miles to rate these helmets.

Kudos on the big ride but comfort in a helmet is a very personal thing, tried Arai and it never felt good on my head while Shoei's always fit mine like a glove.

a friend that works in a gear shop used to say: there are the Arai heads, and the Shoei heads :)

More
14 Jul 2012 14:02 #535858 by kzcurt
Replied by kzcurt on topic helmet???
Here in Michigan they just repealed the helmet law, and now if you just buy $20,000 in extra medical coverage on your bike insurance you can drive without one, along with having your license so long etc...
I guess i'm too cheap.... i'll wear my helmet for the 75.00 per bike it cost to buy the additional coverage. besides I'm way to accident prone to risk it!

Flag carrier #23
9 @ 50-2053,

More
14 Jul 2012 15:00 #535869 by mtbspeedfreak
Yeah cause $20,000 will cover all the extra expenses that would come from not wearing a helmet.

That has to be one of the dumbest motorcycle laws I've ever heard.

2000 ZRX 1100