helmet???

More
07 Jul 2012 00:56 #534394 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic helmet???
I wore Bell back in the 80s and they were fine. Some iddiot drunk going 100mph whatever in a 30mph zone gets in a wreck riding a motorcycle and gets injured and sues Bell and wins $$$ was the story I read many years ago and Bell chose to get out of the motorcycle market. From here on out Bell was nowhere to be seen even to this day for all intents and purposes. I seen them at Walmart! Don't buy their China crap helmet. I think Bell is back making a good helmet, but not all that widely accepted or sold. I had a lot of helmets and still think Arai is heads and shoulders above the rest. I've tried them, a lot of them, and will say in the long run, yes you get what you pay for in a helmet.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Jul 2012 12:21 #534645 by baldy110
Replied by baldy110 on topic helmet???
The scorpion helmets have a hole on the inside for venting. This hole is right on your forehead and covered with foam and fabric. This hole is not finished so it is sharp. When you hit your head that hole puts a nice cut on your forehead.

More
08 Jul 2012 19:50 #534728 by Mullineaux
Replied by Mullineaux on topic helmet???
Originally I wanted a 3/4 with a bubble shield for a very retro look. It was a little pricey to assemble one and not many 3/4 helmets have vents. In the end I went with a Hawk 3/4 dual visor helmet. Their sizing chart was spot of for me and the helmet is vented very comfortable. Replacement main visors are only $15 (or they were when they were on sale). I actually like having the flip up shades while riding as dorky as that may be. No idea how tough they are in an accident and I hope to not find out. Its shell is ABS, but it's DOT approved.

www.leatherup.com/p/Hawk-Helmets/Hawk-Fl...le-Helmet/93126.html

KZ650 ( '77 Engine, '78 frame, 80's ignition, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Pods, lowered [links])
1980 XS1100 full Vetter dresser

• Rainman
  • Sustaining Member
  • and a little Kaw shall lead them
More
09 Jul 2012 01:17 #534771 by Rainman
Replied by Rainman on topic helmet???
Baldy110, thanks for the heads up on the Scorpion.

80 KZ750 H1 - the Kaw calf
79 KZ750 Twin - Miss Nov 2008 KZR calander
79 KZ750 Twin parts bike
78 KZ650 C2 Parts Bike
75 KZ400 Wife's old bike sold
81 KZ440 A2 LTD Wife's new bike
84 Honda 450 Rebel Wife's newest bike
Jim
Quincy,IL

More
09 Jul 2012 11:31 #534827 by damarble
Replied by damarble on topic helmet???

baldy110 wrote: The scorpion helmets have a hole on the inside for venting. This hole is right on your forehead and covered with foam and fabric. This hole is not finished so it is sharp. When you hit your head that hole puts a nice cut on your forehead.

All models?

Go green, buy a Kawasaki!

82 KZ750M CSR Build Thread

89 ZX600C Streetfighter

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
09 Jul 2012 11:44 #534828 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic helmet???
If got the scorpion half helmet, with removable zip off neck and ear piece and internal flipdown shields and cant find any sharp edges or issues with my liner or shell.

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

• ednadiaz
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
12 Jul 2012 22:26 - 20 Sep 2013 23:08 #535531 by ednadiaz
Replied by ednadiaz on topic helmet???
Hey guys!

thank you all for your suggestions and I have visited all the websites that you have recommended. But I am still thinking about the products that it offers. Meanwhile, I browse the web and find this ***. What do you think? This will be included in the websites to shop. ;)
Last edit: 20 Sep 2013 23:08 by ednadiaz.

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
12 Jul 2012 22:31 #535532 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic helmet???
I have done business with them and had good luck. Exchanged a rainsuit for my wife without any hassles. They carry Scorpion helmets at a good price.

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

More
13 Jul 2012 04:28 #535599 by mtbspeedfreak
Replied by mtbspeedfreak on topic helmet???
You should not buy a helmet without trying it on. I cannot stress this enough. If you ask nicely, you might be able to wear it for a ride around the block.

A few years ago, right out of college, I did not have hardly any money. I bought a cheaper DOT/Snell helmet. That f*cker was so loud from the wind at highway speeds it permanently damaged my hearing. After a year and a half, I finally manned up and started looking at proper helmets. I wound up buying an Arai. It wasn't cheap, but it fit better than I ever imagined a helmet to fit. I tried on virtually every make of helmet before making this decision.

I was not able to take it out for a test ride unfortunately, so I did my window noise/ventilation research online. I can't remember the website now, but I'll follow up tomorrow.

The Arai that fits me perfectly may not fit you. The Bell might not fit you. The Shoei/AGV/Scorpion/etc may not fit you. The only, repeat, only way to know for sure is to try them on.

Let us know what you choose!

2000 ZRX 1100
1976 KZ 900- Daily Driver
1980 LTD 550- Dalton Highway survivor!

If it has tits or tires, it'll give you problems!

More
13 Jul 2012 04:47 #535601 by turboguzzi
Replied by turboguzzi on topic helmet???
even a top of the line helmet is going to create irreversible hearing damage at highway speeds.

regretfully, damage to hearing is cumulative, so every time you are exposed you damage your hearing a bit more and hearing deosn't heal itself with time.

always, always, always use ear plugs. I do so even for relatively short rides....unless you think that bad hearing is sexy somehow.

More
13 Jul 2012 10:57 - 13 Jul 2012 10:58 #535632 by dejavoodo41
Replied by dejavoodo41 on topic helmet???
This is a site hat has some good helmet information. Hope it helps.

www.helmet-guide.com/index.html

1977 KZ1000A With 1980 KZ1000A MKII engine, Wiseco 1105 kit, Dyna S Ignition, 3 Ohm Dyna Coils, Cams, Mikuni RS34 Carbs, Vance and Hines Pro Pipe with Comp Baffle

New Smyrna Beach, FL
Last edit: 13 Jul 2012 10:58 by dejavoodo41.

More
13 Jul 2012 11:52 #535648 by damarble
Replied by damarble on topic helmet???

ednadiaz wrote: Hey guys!

thank you all for your suggestions and I have visited all the websites that you have recommended. But I am still thinking about the products that it offers. Meanwhile, I browse the web and find this www.jafrum.com/Motorcycle-Helmets . What do you think? This will be included in the websites to shop. ;)

motorcyclegear.com is another great place to check, they have a decent clearance section where I usually buy my gear.

mtbspeedfreak wrote: You should not buy a helmet without trying it on. I cannot stress this enough. If you ask nicely, you might be able to wear it for a ride around the block.

A few years ago, right out of college, I did not have hardly any money. I bought a cheaper DOT/Snell helmet. That f*cker was so loud from the wind at highway speeds it permanently damaged my hearing. After a year and a half, I finally manned up and started looking at proper helmets. I wound up buying an Arai. It wasn't cheap, but it fit better than I ever imagined a helmet to fit. I tried on virtually every make of helmet before making this decision.

I was not able to take it out for a test ride unfortunately, so I did my window noise/ventilation research online. I can't remember the website now, but I'll follow up tomorrow.

The Arai that fits me perfectly may not fit you. The Bell might not fit you. The Shoei/AGV/Scorpion/etc may not fit you. The only, repeat, only way to know for sure is to try them on.

Let us know what you choose!

Great advice. You can buy online but wear it in store first. Not all brands fit the same, not even all models within a brand fit the same. An ill fitting helmet saps the fun out of a ride ad can be dangerously distracting if it hurts too much.

Go green, buy a Kawasaki!

82 KZ750M CSR Build Thread

89 ZX600C Streetfighter