Learning to ride; habits and resources

More
14 Jun 2012 02:27 #529023 by bradley77
Replied by bradley77 on topic Learning to ride; habits and resources
Mullineaux
just make sure you are always loking for an exit statagy and how you would react quickly and safely
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mullineaux

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• andy9802gt
  • User
  • If it tastes that good, eat it yourself.
More
14 Jun 2012 05:51 #529035 by andy9802gt
Replied by andy9802gt on topic Learning to ride; habits and resources
Take the class. It's never a wasted weekend tooling around on a 250 if you learn something that saves your life. I've been riding off and on for 20 years and took it and didn't feel like it was a waste but, hey I like knowing I'm a little smarter now.

'78 KZ1075 LTD
stage 1 head by Larry Cavanaugh
race built crank by John Pearson
Mikuni rs34's
k410 cams
back cut tranny
8" over D&G swinger
proving once again that age and treachery is better than youth and enthusiasm

• bluej58
  • Sustaining Member
  • The chrome don't get you home
More
17 Jun 2012 21:10 #529963 by bluej58
Replied by bluej58 on topic Learning to ride; habits and resources
Gave my 22 year old son Zach his first riding lesson today.

He's been driving a stick since he got his auto license so the clutch is no problem and he did well,got him started on the counter steering right way ;)

I still want him to take the course and said we'll be glad to pay for it, he's OK with that so cool B)

78 KZ1000 A2A
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: gravit8

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
17 Jun 2012 22:10 #529975 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic Learning to ride; habits and resources
great pic......thats cool

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
17 Jun 2012 22:16 #529977 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic Learning to ride; habits and resources

Always Proud to have a son share the passion of 2 wheels and fuel. This is my son Aaron at his MSF course

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn
Attachments:

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
17 Jun 2012 22:19 #529978 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic Learning to ride; habits and resources
Oh , and by the way.
My son already had 8 years of dirt biking and plenty of passenger time with me , and the course was still very helpful to him...

Just saying, Never to much training to keep us ALL alive.

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

More
17 Jun 2012 22:26 #529980 by Weiss Tiger
Replied by Weiss Tiger on topic Learning to ride; habits and resources
Here in Pennsylvania we have a riders course and it is broken into 3 parts: Basic 1; Basic 2; and Advanced. Free course to those that live in PA. Others pay 150 dollars per course.

1983 KZ550 M1 LTD Shaft
Teikei 26 CV carbs
No Mods

More
17 Jun 2012 23:16 #529992 by KZ802
Replied by KZ802 on topic Learning to ride; habits and resources
Keith Code's "a Twist of the Wrist 2" video is amazing. It's like 1 1/2-2 hours long with some cheezy acting, custom rigged camera bikes and slow mo. They go through the theory of riding- braking, throttle control, counter steering etc. and show you examples of how you can react the right and wrong ways to different situations. It told me a few things that I already knew but didn't know how to explain, and taught me about some misconceptions that I had that I didn't know. I highly recommend watching it. I forget where but I found it free online. Even if you have to buy it, it is totally worth it.

1980 KZ750 LTDx2
1978 KZ1000 LTD
1976 KZ900 A

More
17 Jun 2012 23:40 #530011 by Kraz1
Replied by Kraz1 on topic Learning to ride; habits and resources
And always use your Turn-Signals for Christsakes.. :woohoo:

:silly:

More
18 Jun 2012 03:51 #530041 by gravit8
Replied by gravit8 on topic Learning to ride; habits and resources

Mullineaux wrote:
I was writing that while you posted, It was meant for 650ed (and others who responded in kind) which is why he's quoted in it. I hadn't even read what you posted when hit reply. I appreciate your post and advice as well as those who took the time to give me tips and point to some very interesting reads/videos; apologies for the confusion.

edit:
In fact your post is the closest to changing my mind. I'll think it over a bit more. Thanks again.

I'll admit I was a little miffed when I read your response; So my thinking was to say 'HEY! I'd rather ride with you then ride in remembrance!'

We're not trying to piss ya off, we're just offering honest advice for ya; I'm by no means all-knowing, so please, just try to appreciate the collective 'We're here to HELP!' right?

Peace, and we'll see you on the asphalt ribbons of life <3

I honestly don't know how fast I was going, officer; My speedo tops out at 85...

More
18 Jun 2012 15:50 - 18 Jun 2012 16:35 #530112 by Mullineaux
Replied by Mullineaux on topic Learning to ride; habits and resources
I had to take a break from this thread and cool down a bit and and do a bit of my own research.

I have to admit a good deal of my frustration comes from swimming upstream. Michigan (where I live) is ground zero for "Made in America" country. When I told the guys who got me into riding that I wanted a '70's Jap bike, not a Harley it was blasphemy. I still hear weekly that I should get Harley, someone they know has a Harley for sale, check out this Harley on Craig's List, and on and on. Then I come here and say I'd like to learn proper riding technique just not at the MSF and a significant portion of what I get is the same. I had to take a couple steps back to realize it was well intentioned even if mean spirited on a couple of occasions.

Now part of this is my own fault. I misrepresented a good deal of why I don't want to take the MSF course. While I never said it was a factor, money is not the issue at all. It's $25 here and my monthly insurance is $21 (with $10k medical!) so 10% off that isn't going to change my mind one way or the other. The big thing is my family situation, not my riding experience. I'm still considering taking the course and a big draw is having my full license upon completion. The other draw is having a knowledgeable instructor watching me while I ride, even I can see it differs significantly from a mentor riding with you. In general, the pragmatic arguments are the most persuasive for me.

If others are in a similar situation (beginning riders that want to learn but not take the MSF course) I found some things that might be useful for you.

www.m13online.com/?page_id=3
I watched the first video a couple times before I tried riding a motorcycle and it really helped. The beginner's/safety section in the forums is pretty good too.

The MSF has a Library section where you can download the course materials and other tips:
msf-usa.org/index_new.cfm?spl=2&action=display&pagename=Library

trianglelaguna mentioned reading magazines. I figured a great idea would be to read as many articles as I could find on my bike. A good batch of them can be found here:
articles.kz650.info/index.php
Lots of info in there on how to ride this particular bike, what it's good at and where it's lacking.

Thanks everyone for your input. More tips and resources are always appreciated. I can't stop anyone from posting about the vast awesomeness of the MSF class, but at this point it's kinda like telling me how great Harleys are. I'm still on the fence about the course, but I think the final decision with come from within and has more to do with my family and I than how great the course is for riders of any experience level.

KZ650 ( '77 Engine, '78 frame, 80's ignition, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Pods, lowered [links])
1980 XS1100 full Vetter dresser
Last edit: 18 Jun 2012 16:35 by Mullineaux.

More
18 Jun 2012 17:06 #530131 by faffi
Replied by faffi on topic Learning to ride; habits and resources
Are there alternatives to MSF you would consider? If not, watch the videos, buy TWOT II book and video and whatever else you find about riding instruction - but Keith Code, despite being a bit, erm, intense? really have the most scientific approach.

After theory - and during theory - practice. A lot. Preferably on a closed parking lot or similar for the more advanced stuff, but also all the time you are on the bike. And find a skilled bloke that understand riding (being fast is no guarantee - knowledge is vital) give you input. Failing a good instructor, find somebody that can film you while riding or fit a camera behind and above you so you can observe road, hands and head. Then evaluate yourself.

1977 KZ650B1
1980 F1 engine
B1 3-phase alternator
B1 Points ignition