Too good of a deal to pass up?(Now With Pictures)

• testarossa
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Attack life, it's only trying to kill you.
More
22 Dec 2010 08:49 #418207 by testarossa
Replied by testarossa on topic Too good of a deal to pass up?(Now With Picture
Yeah, thanks steell. That stator rewinding info is included in the Stator Papers on the GSResources site. One of the members there gives you a ton of technical info once you join.

I'll probably try the Electrosport stator if I run into problems with mine. Have to get the carburetor issues sorted and make it run before I delve into the charging system.

Any idea how long your friend's stator has lasted since the re-wind?

1978 KZ1000 A2 Click--->Build Thread
2004 ZX-10R
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
2020 Harley Street Glide Special
Angola, IN

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Dec 2010 09:33 #418213 by freebyrd24
Replied by freebyrd24 on topic Too good of a deal to pass up?(Now With Picture
What a deal to land in your lap! Very cool, I'd be interested to see updates on this as you go. :woohoo:

- 1981 KZ1000-K1 LTD - Long term project
1075cc Kit - New Wiseco Pistons

Sold:
- 1978 kz650 SR, 4-1 Vance and Hines Full Exhaust, Dyna-S Ignition, Accel Coils and Wires

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
22 Dec 2010 14:22 - 22 Dec 2010 14:30 #418229 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic Too good of a deal to pass up?(Now With Pictures)
dude i have always wanted an ELR ...dude you rock...and for so cheap...unreal...what a score...

oh wait....sorry wrong thread...you got the GS L model....

:laugh:

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife
Last edit: 22 Dec 2010 14:30 by trianglelaguna.

• testarossa
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
22 Dec 2010 22:06 #418274 by testarossa
Replied by testarossa on topic Too good of a deal to pass up?(Now With Pictures)
trianglelaguna wrote:

dude i have always wanted an ELR ...dude you rock...and for so cheap...unreal...what a score...

oh wait....sorry wrong thread...you got the GS L model....

:laugh:

:laugh: Funny guy.

Actually, as much as I would love to have an ELR. I couldn't do it justice right now. I value riders more than museum pieces. I can turn a basket case into a custom in a year, but to do a correct restoration on a really valuable bike like an ELR would take me 10 years to get it right. I could see me having a ELR replica.

Anyway, the little Suzuki will provide much more enjoyment, since I can actually use it. To me it's all about perspective.

2004 ZX-10R
Angola, IN

• testarossa
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
26 Dec 2010 21:02 #418743 by testarossa
Replied by testarossa on topic Too good of a deal to pass up?(Now With Pictures)
An update for those who are interested. Over Christmas, I pulled the carburetors. This thing has Mikuni BS32 carbs. Since the float bowls were dry, I suspected that varnish had the needles stuck shut. I was right. I pulled the carbs to do a basic, half-assed cleaning. Super tenacious varnish on everything in the float bowls. I couldn't even remove the float valve seats. So I'm thinking that I got them clean enough by just removing the float bowls and using aerosol carb cleaner. Well, maybe not clean enough. I re-installed everything, and it actually tries to start, but it won't run on it's own yet.

I tried it with the addition of some starting fluid, and it will run on the starter fluid. Unfortunately it dies as soon as the starter fluid runs out. So I guess that I'll wind up doing the full monty carb clean. It also turns out that some previous owner has two different sized pilot jets installed.

I did pull all four spark plugs, and verified that they all make good spark. The fact that it runs on the starter fluid tells me that the timing is close.

My biggest hurdle on this bike is my complete lack of time for it right now. Hopefully the KZ will come together in the next few weeks and I can devote some time to this one.

2004 ZX-10R
Angola, IN

• stonemaster
  • Visitor
26 Dec 2010 21:13 #418745 by stonemaster
Replied by stonemaster on topic Too good of a deal to pass up?(Now With Pictures)
good to hear, I'm putting a big bore kit in my Kaw Tues or Wed, The guy helping me was a Kaw/Suzuiki dealer/mechanical wizard back in the days, I'll ask him about the stator issue If there is a less expensive way of doing it, believe me this guy will know it, he's so tight he squeaks, and he know all the tricks

• testarossa
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
26 Dec 2010 21:24 #418746 by testarossa
Awesome, thanks Stony. Sounds like your helper is my kinda guy. Just like my Dad. He was a lifetime Ford service pro, and he knew all the tips and tricks to save money. One good thing he would always do is overshoot you on the price, then you were surprised when the final tally was under budget. I sure miss the old man.

2004 ZX-10R
Angola, IN

• stonemaster
  • Visitor
26 Dec 2010 21:51 #418749 by stonemaster
Replied by stonemaster on topic Too good of a deal to pass up?(Now With Pictures)
testarossa wrote:

Awesome, thanks Stony. Sounds like your helper is my kinda guy. Just like my Dad. He was a lifetime Ford service pro, and he knew all the tips and tricks to save money. One good thing he would always do is overshoot you on the price, then you were surprised when the final tally was under budget. I sure miss the old man.

well actually on this I am the helper/student LOL I know some , he knows MORE

• testarossa
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
03 Jan 2011 20:01 #419972 by testarossa
Time for a weekly Suzuki update. I let the carbs soak in the parts washer yesterday. This evening, I got them totally cleaned out and re-assembled. Now the bike will run on gasoline. Since it will actually run, I can justify spending a little money on it. I'll get a battery, and the stuff to change the oil. I'll try to show all the little steps to bringing a barn find type of bike back to life.

2004 ZX-10R
Angola, IN

• testarossa
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
04 Jan 2011 20:55 #420108 by testarossa
Now for my first round of maintenance on the Zook. Basically, I start by assuming that no maintenance has been done. I'll work my way through all the adjustments and checks. First on my list today is to lube and adjust the chain.

I discovered that all the brake calipers were stuck, so I stripped them down and cleaned all the junk out. After re-assembly, I bled the brakes. The pistons actually retract when the brake is released, and the brakes function well. I did find a small fluid leak at the front master cylinder reservoir. There is an o-ring at the base of the reservoir that I will need to replace.

Z1E got a little more money from me today. I went ahead and ordered the oil filter, valve cover gasket, and a chrome superbike bar. Soon, I'll perform an oil change, and valve adjustment. Then I'll get the carbs, synced and adjusted. So far, I have spent $50 in parts for this bike.

2004 ZX-10R
Angola, IN

More
05 Jan 2011 06:33 #420139 by freebyrd24
Replied by freebyrd24 on topic Too good of a deal to pass up?(Now With Pictures)
Very cool! Cheap little easy side projects like this are lots of fun. Even if it's a zook!

Taking a few days off of the KZ? The paint is coming out awesome though, love the combo you chose. I wish I could paint half as well. You'll get the clear figured out no problem!

- 1981 KZ1000-K1 LTD - Long term project
1075cc Kit - New Wiseco Pistons

Sold:
- 1978 kz650 SR, 4-1 Vance and Hines Full Exhaust, Dyna-S Ignition, Accel Coils and Wires

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
05 Jan 2011 09:32 - 05 Jan 2011 09:36 #420161 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic Too good of a deal to pass up?(Now With Pictures)
Hi i'm new to this site...have had many suzukis and am glad i found this place...does anyone know where i can find a tire for my savage 650 bobber project....i want something like a 200mm and was thinking of adding a piston to the motor...

thanks...great site

long live suzukis...i agree

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife
Last edit: 05 Jan 2011 09:36 by trianglelaguna.