Don't shoot the messanger!

More
31 Jul 2008 05:41 #229315 by Locozuna
Don't shoot the messanger! was created by Locozuna
$250 first, 500 second, 1000 third, driving suspensions after that!

Don't throw away that stock exhaust or move!
Motorcycle rumblings in Bristol likely thing of the past

01:00 AM EDT on Thursday, July 31, 2008

By Alex Kuffner

Journal Staff Writer

BRISTOL, RI — Local streets may become a little quieter with the recent passage of legislation that aims to crack down on noisy motorcycles.

Last night, state Sen. David Bates and Rep. Raymond E. Gallison Jr. appeared before the Town Council to discuss the bill they introduced in the last session of the General Assembly that went into law earlier this month.

The legislation addresses any illegal modifications to motor vehicles, including changes to motorcycles that are designed to increase the amount of noise emitted by their engines. That could mean drilling holes in a tailpipe’s baffle or removing it altogether or installing straight pipes.

With the amendment to the law, violators now face hefty fines, and those cited repeatedly could have their licenses suspended.

“Anyone that has a motor vehicle that hasn’t been messed with has nothing to worry about,” Bates, R-Bristol, Barrington, told the council, which had pushed for a strengthening of the law.

Gallison, D-Bristol, Portsmouth, and Bates introduced the legislation after council members and residents complained to them about loud motorcycles rumbling down Hope Street and congregating downtown and near the harbor, especially in the summer months.

Last year, council member David Barboza, Town Administrator Diane Mederos and former Police Chief Russell S. Serpa met with them and other state officials to brainstorm ways to silence the noisy bikes.

Following the meeting, the council enacted a local ordinance that shifted any cases involving noise violations to the Municipal Court, where people issued citations can be fined. The ordinance was modeled on regulations enforced in Providence and received the support of the Rhode Island Motorcycle Association.

Meanwhile, Bates and Gallison worked to tighten regulations on the state level.

State law regulates the sounds motor vehicles are allowed to produce, setting limits measured in decibels on engine noise and music from stereos or radios. It is illegal to tamper with an engine to create excessive noise.

The amendment adds some teeth to the law with the threat of fines of $250 for a first offense, $500 for a second offense and $1,000 for a third offense. Those issued three citations in a 12-month period face a suspension of their license.

Barboza, who led the council’s efforts on the issue, called unnecessarily loud motorcycles “a problem that has been plaguing the whole state.” He thanked Bates and Gallison for “bringing peace and quiet to Rhode Island.”

This should incite a riot........;)

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Jul 2008 06:40 #229323 by KZ250LTD
Replied by KZ250LTD on topic Don't shoot the messanger!
Interesting. Of course I could run straight, unbaffled pipes on my bikes and still not be as loud as a lot of the stock harleys around...

79 KZ1000ST
Past:
Many.

More
31 Jul 2008 06:51 #229326 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Don't shoot the messanger!
If that law were passed locally, there would be a whole bunch of Harley riders and a few others getting tickets, and I wouldn't object at all.

My home sits about 100 feet from the State Highway in front of my house, and there are about 20 Harleys and two 70's four cylinder bikes that pass here on a regular basis with straight pipes. I advocate an open season on bikes and pickups (one ton diesel) with straight pipes. Shotgun only of course :)

And I feel the same way about the Thumpers, the ones with the high powered stereos that go thump. thump. thump, past my house shaking my windows.

Open season, shotgun only, is that too much to ask?:angry:

KD9JUR

More
31 Jul 2008 08:05 #229349 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic Don't shoot the messanger!
Shotguns are too noisy and unless you're using salt too messy.
My bro used to say use no firearms where a wristrocket slingshot and a bucket of ice cubes can do the trick. It will puck a tank or a helmet, take out a window then shatter and melt. Just make sure you get the store bought ice cubes cause CSI will match your water to the meltings. But at least no fingerprints. And you can keep the sixpack cold between plinkings! B) Oh the slingshot officer? :blush: Thats to keep those rascally wabbits out of the garden!!! ;) :woohoo:

I believe only the real obnoxious get ticket around here. Those with straights or unbaffled dump tubes. Then again they are pretty much holding up a big neon arrow that says "I dare ya!". In sniper school they were called "TARGETS". The same guys that thought muzzle flashes and tracers were cool! The only ones with a throaty tuned exhaust who gets tickets are the ones with unbaffled mouths. :ohmy:

"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied

More
31 Jul 2008 08:07 #229350 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic Don't shoot the messanger!
Heyyyyyyy...what are THESE things?:P

1977 KZ1000 A-1
Attachments:

More
31 Jul 2008 09:07 #229358 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Don't shoot the messanger!
Are you saying that I should wear earplugs inside my own home?

I maintain that if they have the right to assault me with noise, I have the right to assault them with a shotgun.

I have run into a lot of people that think they have the right to do anything they want, and I really don't understand that attitude. Do they not realize that if they have that right, then so do I? And that means there's nothing stopping me from attacking them physically, after all, I also have the right to do anything "I" want.
There are an awful lot of stupid people in this world :woohoo:

KD9JUR

More
31 Jul 2008 09:44 #229364 by Locozuna
Sandy wrote:

Heyyyyyyy...what are THESE things?:P

A garrote? Nah that wouldn't work you'd have to get too close or have them stop....OOOOOOOOOooooh! Wait If you strung that between two trees across the road....say about this (indicating neck) high. I think you may be on to something. Or just shoved them up the offending exhaust...yeah that may work too!;) Thanks for the ideas!:blink:

"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied

• Limey
  • User
  • 3 Years in the U.K. - Brought the KZ with me!
More
31 Jul 2008 10:43 - 31 Jul 2008 10:44 #229373 by Limey
Replied by Limey on topic Don't shoot the messanger!
Milford, NH has done something similar. They decided to actively go after, and prosecute, vehicles exceeding the state noise limits. They have signs posted on all the major roads going in to the town.

Seems to be working - the only bikes in town when we were there over Memorial Day weekend were nicely muffled.

FWIW - I actually think a bike sounds much better with proper mufflers - probably runs better too! As to the "loud pipes saves lives" claim - I would like to see the data that supports that statement - and what happens when the open pipe bike holds up an ambulance on an emergency run because the rider can't hear anything behind him? Does the person who dies because they got to the hospital too late count?

Eric
Newmarket, England (for 3 years)
Pentwater, Michighan (Home)
1978 KZ650
2000 ZG1000
2006 Suzuki Burgman 650
Last edit: 31 Jul 2008 10:44 by Limey.

More
31 Jul 2008 10:53 #229376 by slowman
Replied by slowman on topic Don't shoot the messanger!
No thanks Rhode Island. I'll do what I please with my motorcycle that I own.

I do agree that noisy motorcycles are a bit obnoxious, but I don't think there needs to be MORE laws. They're just making criminals where there were none before.

1979 Kawasaki KZ1000 LTD

The only thing better than the sound of a carburettor opening is the sound of 4 carburettors opening simultaneously!

More
31 Jul 2008 12:02 #229392 by mariozappa
Replied by mariozappa on topic Don't shoot the messanger!
Also recently....and locally for me:

Sounds like hypocrisy to me... the city of Speedway , the city hosting the MotoGP race of Indianapolis on the 14th of September, likes having the extra business. Hotels, restaurants, camping, airports, toll booths, hookers, you name it, everyone is going to win from the first ever MotoGP race on this famous race circuit. The people are walking around with dollar signs in their eyes.

But.... if you come on your motorcycle, you will be asked not to rev up your engine, or make any noise. At least, if the town elders have their way. They are proposing a new noise ordinance making it illegal to rev your motorcycle engine. During the race weekend, the Police will be out in force to ticket all bikes that make noise. The newly proposed ordinance will be voted on August the 11th.

It would seem that if you're in a car, you are allowed to rev your engine, even if you make more noise than a 747 taking off. But if you're riding on your 50cc moped and rev up your engine, your ass is theirs. Doesn't look like fair to me. Maybe people shouldn't bother going there, so the town doesn't get your hard earned money. Watch the race on TV.

1977 KZ650C1
and the KZ650/KZ750 Conversion ;)

• Scrapper
  • User
  • I Survived P.D. Fri .the 13th 2008 .
More
31 Jul 2008 12:27 - 31 Jul 2008 12:31 #229396 by Scrapper
Replied by Scrapper on topic Don't shoot the messanger!
IMHO! I like my loud pipes , If you dont see me comming at least you will hear me , Its no different that a car with the sicky Bump Bump Music flooding the neighborhood 123blocks away .... What next ? Seatbelts on a motorcycle ? Where does it end
next will be " you can't ride in the rain / snow or by a beach .
Kinda reminds me of the guy who built a new house cause he saved a bundle on the lot by a Rail way track , And Bitched later about the noise the Train made , GEEZE !:laugh :unsure: :(

Handle every situation like a dog,
If you can't eat it or hump it,
Piss on it and walk away!
Last edit: 31 Jul 2008 12:31 by Scrapper.

More
31 Jul 2008 12:37 - 31 Jul 2008 12:48 #229401 by Locozuna
slowman wrote:

No thanks Rhode Island. I'll do what I please with my motorcycle that I own.

I do agree that noisy motorcycles are a bit obnoxious, but I don't think there needs to be MORE laws. They're just making criminals where there were none before.

Don't know where you're from but seems to be a grassroots movement that might mean you just might have to deal with it sometime. Kind of like you're telling others to deal with it. I suppose we are supposed to put earplugs on our babies and children because it's your lawful right to make excessive noise. As long as there are people who refuse to see logic and to understand others points of view I see no other answer than to make a law. Lets be clear here... you should be allowed to do whatever you want CAUSE YOU WANT TO? Screw the others whose right to peace and quiet you want to walk all over cause you want to sound like a what? Racer, badass outlaw, asshat? Of course you don't want it to become law and there are too many laws. You don't like laws. I like laws cause they do help bring logic to the playing field cause there are too many "I'll do what I want to and screw anybody that objects!" people around. And if we could all do what we want when you come by my house with straights you would suddenly find yourself severely hurting. Ya know we were kind of laughing up this subject but someone always comes up with a declaration that they don't like it and they won't even admit the logic. They they make idiot statements like they'll never get me to do this. Money says if you get enough fines or get your rights lifted for denying others their rights you will comply or enjoy walking (after the tire stabbing incident this might be better for all of us). So basically go on but if the law comes to where ever you are I will bet good money you are all talk. Just one more thing. You can own a dozen motorcycles if you want but don't forget it is a privilege to drive them on taxpayers roads and if you scoff at the rules that are there to protect YOU as much as US then those privileges get taken away. There is nothing more logical or as intelligent as that. I still have a feeling that we could give you all the reasons in the world why you should not be able to run loud pipes and you would just give the same lame old "loud pipes saves lives" bullcRAP.:S

And I think you are right Scrap the loud music is also being handled here. Besides it being obnoxious it is nerve damaging to the rider. Sometimes people needs to be saved from themselves. As for to hear you coming have you ever seen a freaked out old lady cause of a loud noise and if you don't think someone sees you your horn is perfectly acceptable. Maybe pedestrians and bicyclists should run sirens. The guy buying a house by a train station and asking for an ordinance...come on!

The Moto GP ordinance is freaky. Sure strange things gets passed but I would like to see how it was presented for consideration. I could be wrong but arn't most of those only held on a single day and in a downtown area and not in residential areas?

"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
Last edit: 31 Jul 2008 12:48 by Locozuna.