Don't shoot the messanger!

More
31 Jul 2008 19:55 #229474 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic Don't shoot the messanger!
steell wrote:

And I'd almost bet that some of those Harley riders are cops.

NAWWWWW...cops wouldn't do THAT!;)

Where's Baldy?...lets ask HIM.:laugh:

1977 KZ1000 A-1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Scrapper
  • User
  • I Survived P.D. Fri .the 13th 2008 .
More
31 Jul 2008 20:29 #229482 by Scrapper
Replied by Scrapper on topic Don't shoot the messanger!
a q-switch (headlight pulser) a brakelight pulser:ohmy: :ohmy: Sorry bud they are illeagle in Ontario , at lest that what cop told when he pulled me over , hmmm come to think of it now , Not a word about too loud pipes ..... Go figure ! Anyway this debate is going from loud pipes to stereos , flashing lights , guns , yodeling old women will be the only thing i haven't heard yet , :laugh: That and Shiver brrrrr Opera this is one of those posts that everyone has an opinion on and trys to swing everyone else over . so before it get ugly ! Let s just enjoy each other and go for a ride B) B) B) B) B) B) B)

Handle every situation like a dog,
If you can't eat it or hump it,
Piss on it and walk away!

More
31 Jul 2008 20:41 #229483 by kawsakiman
Replied by kawsakiman on topic Don't shoot the messanger!
amen scrapper!

hope i can make it to canada to ride with you someday.
when you crossing the boarder?

want to go deer hunting in ny?

someday i will be able to afford my kz habit.

• riverroad
  • User
  • 1980 1000LTD B4
More
01 Aug 2008 04:59 #229514 by riverroad
Replied by riverroad on topic Don't shoot the messanger!
I usually run mine straight. Nice and loud.
I'll put my baffle in just as soon as all cagers actually start using their necks to see who's next to them instead of just pulling over into my lane. That doesn't happen when they can hear me.
Then there's the deer problem. If I use my baffle, deer panic and run out in front of me. But running a straight pipe, I never even see a deer. They're long gone by the time I get anywhere near them.
And I relish the thought of some spineless whiner wanting to beat me up because of a little noise. Besides riding my bike, H2H is my favorite thing. If they can't handle a little noise, they sure as hell can't handle me.

More
01 Aug 2008 06:46 #229525 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic Don't shoot the messanger!
riverroad wrote:

And I relish the thought of some spineless whiner wanting to beat me up because of a little noise. Besides riding my bike, H2H is my favorite thing. If they can't handle a little noise, they sure as hell can't handle me.

What amounts to a "little noise" to you is the equivalent of living next door to JFK to the family with sick kids or a dying family member. Or just a guy working two jobs just to feed the brood. Remember you don't know what others are going through. Your point on the deer are well taken but if it is a common problem there I would suggest a less intrusive solution as adding a deer whistle. Of course this might not be a solution that you would appreciate if you really want those loud pipes. And hand to hand abilities are great if like you say it's against a spineless whiner or someone who will engage you in that manner. Trouble is trouble comes in all sizes, shapes and abilities and sorry if I am the first to tell you but not everyone plays fair. I don't know your background but I do know a lot of guys who thought themselves true badasses and have had their asses handed to them by unlikely candidates. Some people do not have a code they live by and will do truly horrible things. Will you?
Needless to say this is a polarizing subject. I brought it up because it is in the news in this little state but if one thing has come out of it is that it is a growing movement and friction is going to occur. Your ability to enter different towns, cross state lines or even borders could be influenced. It would be best if both sides could see where the other is coming from and try to understand the thoughts involved. Like RED GREEN says....I'm pulling for ya...cause were all in this together...keep your stick on the ice. (and your hands in plain sight!)

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

• Limey
  • User
  • 3 Years in the U.K. - Brought the KZ with me!
More
01 Aug 2008 07:03 #229526 by Limey
Replied by Limey on topic Don't shoot the messanger!
Locozuna wrote:

...It would be best if both sides could see where the other is coming from and try to understand the thoughts involved. Like RED GREEN says....I'm pulling for ya...cause were all in this together...keep your stick on the ice. (and your hands in plain sight!)

Couldn't agree more!

AND if you want to wake up the dozy twit in the minivan, use your horn - if it ain't loud enough, get a louder one!

I just ordered a pair of chrome horns for my 650 from J.C. Whitney - have 'em on the MG's. With the installation of a relay they work great and are plenty loud enough to get the majority of folks attention (they look pretty good too)!

Eric
Newmarket, England (for 3 years)
Pentwater, Michighan (Home)
1978 KZ650
2000 ZG1000
2006 Suzuki Burgman 650

More
01 Aug 2008 07:31 #229531 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic Don't shoot the messanger!
riverroad wrote:

Then there's the deer problem. If I use my baffle, deer panic and run out in front of me. But running a straight pipe, I never even see a deer. They're long gone by the time I get anywhere near them.

Ya know,Riv...dam good point...seriously.

Where we just travelled,up north,there's nothing but deer,cariboo,elk and moose signs posted at what seems to be every other mile of highway here in British Columbia.
We rode 700 miles north and saw 1 deer.Coming home,we ended up arriving at night and we spotted about 4 deer close to home,but I actually expected to see more of them because it WAS in the evening,where the deer come out the most.I slowed down the last leg of the trip,to the point where it felt like we were going to fall over,lol.
The Warden even mentioned that the louder exhaust was probably scaring them away,and I said that she was probably right,and I agree with that.
It's funny,because when we WERE in the north part,she kept mentioning that she would really love to see a moose(from a safe distance)...not a one.A lot of pigs and kaws(and 3 hondas)but no moose or deer.;)

1977 KZ1000 A-1

More
01 Aug 2008 07:32 #229532 by kneedragger80
Replied by kneedragger80 on topic Don't shoot the messanger!
I get more ticked off about speeding in the village than loud pipes. That said, I don't understand the need to crank it and then roll off, just so you can hear that puking sound. I suppose when paying 15K for a hog they give you a couple extra shots of hubris? Big bike, big noise, small d*** I guess.

Now I run my 750 w/ a very loosely packed baffle, quite loud. But do I crank on it in the village? No. Out on the highway away from residential areas, of course! Its called COMMON COURTESY and I think most would agree its sorely lacking today.

Do we need more laws - No. Self policing is what changes behavior. I've had a couple conversations with twin owners about the noise level of their rides and when confronted, they acted like kids being scolded, sorry they say, eyes looking downward. Just one more example of trying to be one of the "in" crowd.

80 KZ750E
84 GPZ1100
NY US
. . . I used to do a little but a little wouldn t do it so a little got more and more . . .

More
01 Aug 2008 08:16 #229539 by coppertales
Replied by coppertales on topic Don't shoot the messanger!
If you want to be a victim of road rage, ride behind me with one of those pulsing headlights.......chris3

1982 KZ1100 A2
1982 1100 SPECTRE
1982 1100 SPECTRE

More
01 Aug 2008 09:46 #229552 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic Don't shoot the messanger!
Come on... I really don't think you're going to get ticketed out in the boonies. Hell I don't think you are going to get ticketed in redesientia unless you are screwing around. I have a neighbor that has a Hurley with straights and when his wife is sleeping in he keeps it pretty quiet with short shifting and not backwashing it. But when HIS family is up and awake he is ratteling the windows. But at that time MY family is sleeping. So what is doofus thinking? Ah well screw you...thats YOUR problem? So if I decide to crank up the AMPS and point the studio monitors at his house at lets say 3:00am do you really think he's not going to call the cops? So he has rights I don't have rights? I could care less if you are riding along and setting off M80's in East Moosenutz where there is no houses for 15 mile stretches AND I don't think ANYONE would object(OK! Maybe the moose!). Problem is there are too many of us who don't want to do that cause we won't be making a "LOOK AT ME" spectacle. Something has got it in their mind that a badass bike is loud and a badass biker is just as loud. You won't find many LOUD badasses on the street, you'll find most in the cemetery, swamp or in lockup. Others are just actors in a B-comedy. All it takes for someone to be obnoxiously loud is stupidity and a big mouth and all it takes for a bike to be obnoxiously loud is a little extra cash and a screw you attitude. Trust me real badasses take great pains to fly under the radar. Cemeteries, swamps and lockups are not the in places to be.

I agree coppertales those q switches are annoying but the point was if you are that concerned with making your experience as safe and "survivable" as possible you will go all the way and if not... stop making excuses for straights or opens as a safety issue. I don't even like the retna burning headlights. It's like a lot of bikes (tourers) come with bike to bike communications systems which helps the front rider warn of threats or other people blow their horns but riding next to or near one of these noise bombs takes those safety features off the board. We can sit here making examples all day but eventually we will all answer to a consensus. A jury of our peers so to say and thats what the legislature has done. Some like it and some don't. But the ones that say I really don't care what they say or pass I will do as I please will most likely get schooled in what it is to be in a society. They can go elsewhere. There are still a lot of areas that have little demand that rules are followed and those places usually have few people there. For just that reason. But be sure cause there are a lot of places that look like that on first glance and you soon realize they have their own sets of rules and their own way of enforcing them. :ohmy:

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

• Scrapper
  • User
  • I Survived P.D. Fri .the 13th 2008 .
More
01 Aug 2008 10:10 - 01 Aug 2008 10:19 #229553 by Scrapper
Replied by Scrapper on topic Don't shoot the messanger!
kawsakiman wrote:

amen scrapper!

hope i can make it to canada to ride with you someday.
when you crossing the boarder?

want to go deer hunting in ny?

Man ! i wish I could go Deer hunting with you down there , But 3 days a week Im hooked to a machine for 4 hrs a day , ( Dialisis ):angry: Kinda put the brakes on any over night stays seeing as how i got to be there mon, wed, and fri , ;) Matter of fact I just got back home from fri's treatment ,
But hey i can still ride tues, Thurs, Sat, and Sun,:laugh:
BTW!Like the helmet?:laugh: :laugh: Its actully a rubber cover, I picked up at Fri the 13th in Port Dover
I couldn't resist it
Every body asks if its DOT approved? "I tell them Could be , But i know its Goodyear warrentied):laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
\
tinypic.com/view.php?pic=eti3ao&s=4

Handle every situation like a dog,
If you can't eat it or hump it,
Piss on it and walk away!
Last edit: 01 Aug 2008 10:19 by Scrapper.

• riverroad
  • User
  • 1980 1000LTD B4
More
01 Aug 2008 10:42 #229558 by riverroad
Replied by riverroad on topic Don't shoot the messanger!
Loco, in the first place, I do try to keep the noise levels down while entering or leaving my 'hood. I'll gear up and run as few rpms as possible. But when I'm on the highway, I'm not making any more noise than your average eighteen wheeler.
And deer whistles just don't work. As a matter of fact, I think they just piss the deer off. I had them on my old truck when a rutting buck actually lowered its head, charged down an embankment and rammed my quarter panel.
And it only takes me a minute to coast down the hill and out of the 'hood. After that, I'm on the highway, next to all the other noise makers.
OTOH, on a weekend morning and I'm just going for a putt around town, I'll put my tractor muffler in. Then I'm as quiet as any new bike. But by the afternoon, my little town gets noisy anyway with all the power boats on the river, the hundreds of Hells Angel wannabes hoppin the bars, not to mention a couple thousand lawnmowers making their noise, so I'll pull my muffler out and make noise right along with them.
As far as getting my ass handed to me, sure it can happen.
But, growing up with an Airborne Ranger for a dad, plus doing my own stint, I have shown more than one badass that things aren't always what they seem. But I digress. I'm never the opening act, just the finale.
Attachments: